HELP WITH CONNECTION!!!

Username: Deltaromeo312

Dallas, GA

Post Number: 1
Noobie to the site and I am in desperate need of assistance in understanding what I might be doing wrong. I have a Yamaha 5650 receiver and the way I have my DVD player connected, having 5.1 to all speakers is not an issue when playing DVD's. However, am I correct in stating that when a television broadcast is being sent in Dolby Surround, I should also hear the broadcast from all five of my speakers? I think the issue may be with how my Samsung DLP is connected. Right now, it is simply connected to the comcast digital box via the 5-cable supplied connector (red, blue green, red, white) and the optical connector going from the comcast box to the optical port on the receiver. Do I need to connect the DLP to the comcast digital box via the HDMI or DVI connector in place of the 5-connector line? Would that cure not hearing dolby surround from a television broadcast? Or, am i not switching something on the Yamaha amp to hear the dolby broadcast from all speakers? During a dolby TV surround broadcast I am only hearing the sound from the center and mains; nothing from the two rear surrounds. Hope this makes sense. Thanks! James

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12694

Disconnect the red and white from the TV. You don't need them there. Run the audio out from the Comcast directly to the receiver and go to the set up menu on both pieces to get them to talk to one another. This should be explained in the owner's manual to the equipment.

Username: Deltaromeo312

Dallas, GA

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the info, Jan. By the Red and White, I assume you are referring to only the red and white that accompany the red, blue, and green cable set-up, right? And, when you say run the audio out from the comcast box directly to the receiver, to which input should I run the audio out from, on the comcast box, to the receiver?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12695

Yes, the red and white audio plugs need to be removed. You only need to run audio to your receiver. Run the video cables directly to the TV. I don't know what output from the Comcast because I don't know the Comcast. I stopped memorizing the back sides of equipment in 1974. What does your owner's manual say? If you can't find it, call Comcast. That's what you pay them to do - help you when you can't read the book.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us