Bare Turntable output wires, convert to RCA?

Username: Larryh

Odin, Il

Post Number: 1
Hi all,

New here.. I just got an old GE inexpensive turntable to play some 45's in drop sequence. So far after receiving it I am stumped by the fact it has two bare wires coming from the rear plus the plug in for AC. I assume it should have had RCA plugs, at least that is what my Audio In on my amp. uses. I purchased RCA Male plugs at Radio Shack, and am hoping I can just solder the two lines to the plugs for it to work? I became worried about how to do it right when I opened the plugs and see the two different holes for a wire to go in. As I recall one is on the rim and one the long extension part off one side. Problem is the wire appears to be just two standed wires. Do I just solder one to each jack and that would be it? I don't want to goof something up here if that is possible. At this point I really don't know if it works as far as a signal output either, but won't know till I get it hooked up? Any advice is appreciated.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12669

Sorry, but two bare wires on a GE turntable isn't enough to go on to provide assistance. This probably isn't an issue anyway since a GE table most likely has a ceramic cartridge which won't work into a magnetic phono input. What sort of cartridge is on this table?

Odin, Il

Post Number: 2
It says its a C 650 on the cartridge. It is stereo with a flip needle. The unit is a free standing with a plastic cover, it has a regular wall socket plug line then a grey output line with two wires in it each in their own plastic covering. It resembles the wire you might insert into speakers but since this is only a turntable it must have gone to an amp of some kind?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12671

I don't have any idea what it went to originally but I can tell you it won't go into a modern receiver's phono input. That "flip needle" means its a ceramic cartridge which is incompatible with a magnetic phono input. The cartridge on the GE has a very high output but lacks RIAA equaliztion. That makes it purpose built for the type of system it was paired with by GE. You need to find a better table with a magnetic cartridge. You also need to make sure your present receiver can work with a magnetic phono input. Not all receivers with a "phono" input include phono pre amps. Without a proper phono pre amp you won't get sound from any turntable. Read the archives of this section to find out what I'm talking about. When people complian of low output and distorted sound they need a phono pre amp.

Odin, Il

Post Number: 3
I have an NAD amp which is from the era when phono inputs were the norm, probably the early to mid 80's I think. Is any turntable that has capability of dropping 45's going to have that kind of cartridge?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12677

I would stay with a Dual if at all possible. A 10XX or 12XX series table such as a 1225 would be a good starting point. Make certain the changer mechanism works. Not many people used the Duals as changers so grease may have hardened and will cause problems with the spindle dropping records. Any magnetic cartridge will mount on a Dual table. Look through the archives of this section once again for more information on the Duals. Not all Duals are cghangers and any 5 series Dual is a single play table. BSR and Garrard also built changers that would accomodate a magnetic cartridge but they are both lower quality tables than the Duals.

www.dual-reference.com/index.html

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us