Putting a system under $1500

Username: Chai

Post Number: 1
I am trying to put a Home Theater system mainly for watching movies and listening to music with a budget of $1500. The room is 20' X 16' where my Sony Bravia 52" is located.
Can someone guide me as I looked at Bose Accoustimass 16 Series II, JBL CS480GB, HKTS 18 and KEF 3000, But was confused as I have heard that JBL and HKTS offer more than Bose.

Can someone put this in perspective for me.

Thanks.

I would appreciate some guidance

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12652

What audio retailers are available in your area? Are you able to shop from an independent dealer or only big box type stores?

Silver Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 206
Of the ones you suggested, I'd pick the KEF 3000.

If you want to be correct about it, you have your work cut out. Start with listening to a few systems, identify what you like about each one. Visit speciality audio stores and ask for their suggestions. Chances are, if you aren't into audio systems already, you'll feel lost at sea. If you think such a quest will be fun, welcome to the forum and welcome to reading and listening.

Else, count votes on the systems you listed and pick the highest. In my opinion, the KEF offers the most balanced sound and even though not impressive at first listen, will enable you to appreciate music eventually.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2941
The KEF 3005 is certainly one to keep high on your list - good package, nicely put together, good (and good looking) sub for the money. One of the few things KEF did right in my opinion. Attach an Onkyo TX-SR606 (or ex-demo 605) and that's a great start.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10268
Theres a start, WC.

Hi again Srinivas.

Silver Member

Post Number: 207
Hi Nuck, how have you been?

Bronze Member
Username: Flyingleaf

Post Number: 12
Well recently there is a coupon says that besbuy offering a $100 off Bose 3-2-1 GS Series II and GSX DVD home entertainment systems:

http://www.dealstudio.com/viewtopic.php?t=38831&ru=282

Anyway Bose is very good brand, maybe you can find something good for you there.

Silver Member

Post Number: 208
Now that you've done it, run for cover...

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2951
Judy, how is Bose a very good brand?

Bronze Member
Username: Pcstockton

Post Number: 41
W Chaitanya,

AVOID BEST BUY.... and Bose "systems". You must have a local hifi store near you. Tell them your budget and they will show you options. If they dont have anything in your budget, they should be able to suggest someone that does.

The folks at Best Buy are nice enough, but ARE NOT experts in the field of hifi. Keep in mind that most of the people working there are kids in high school with no experience of anything outside what they sell.

I would personally suggest Energy speakers for a 5.1 system. Well made, dealer support, good price point. With the subwoofer, you can expect sufficient 2 channel performance as well.

You could get C-100 for the front and surrounds for $440 (all four speaker). The 8.3 sub for around $400, and the Matching C-C100 for the center speaker for around $250. ALL brand New.

That leaves you about $400 for a 5.1 Yamaha receiver. Easily done.

Keep in mind that I dont think "audiophile" grade, $$$$$$$, gear is needed in a HT system. You cannot control the quality of the source if it is TV. In a 2 channel stereo where you control everything down to the recording you choose to listen to, i think the sky is the limit.

I have heard $20,000 5.1 systems that do not in any fashion, tempt me to upgrade my HT system.

2 channel is a totally different beast.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us