Is my Yamaha receiver broke? Please help

Username: Strongdude

Post Number: 1
Hi guys

I have a Yamaha RX-V496RDS A/V (surround) Receiver, which i think might broke yesterday. It's about 6-7 years old, and i have never had any problems with it in the past.

I was playing music from my laptop through the receiver which worked as it should, and then i turned on my DVD player to watch a movie. But suddently it wouldn't play any sound. I tried to go back and play music from the laptop, but no go! Just won't play it. I can still put a video signal into the receiver, and transfer it to the TV, but if i want sound, i have to crank the receiver all the way up, and still it's just a faint sound. Don't know if it's a good sign, that it still plays some sound, though it's very little.

Do you think it's broke or could it be a blown fuse or? When it happened i wasn't playing loud or anything, it was like 1/4.

It doesn't have any external fuses, but inside there is two, one seems to be fine, the other i can't really see because it doesn't have a glass surface, it's made of some white stuff :P

Hope someone can help me! I don't know anything about all this hifi stuff.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2928
Sounds to me like it's not switching sources. That faint sound you hear is crosstalk in the preamp section. It could be simply that the unit has got itself in a knot or it could be something broken. Have a look in the manual to see if there is a factory reset. This would mean you having to reprogram the thing but at least you can guarantee if it's working or not.

Username: Strongdude

Post Number: 2
Hi again

Thx for answering. I just put my receiver back together, after taking off the cover and dusting it off and tjecking the fuses. The i ran through the settings (it doesn't have a reset feature) and guess what :D It's back on track. Damn nice ;D

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2932
Excellent! That's a result!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us