Converting a reciever to a power amp

Bronze Member
Username: Fredrico_alvarez

Post Number: 17
While the quality of my upstairs 2 channel music system very nice, it is still improving, and this is where I want to put all my money. I do, however, have a large basement and have another 2 channel system that I use for entertaining and gaming. Because I use it for gaming and movies, I want to upgrade to surround sound.

The basement system consists of a pair of my parents old Bose floorstanders (they suck, but they're loud) and a Pioneer 2 channel 400 wpc reciever. The goal of this DIY endeavor is to by a 7.1 reciever (I can get a Harmon Kardon AVR-335Z for $300) and use the pre outs for the front channels to go to a 2 channel seperate amp and use the onboard amps for the other channels.

The DIY part is that I want to turn my 400wpc reciever into an amp. Does anyone know what parts I would have to keep for the amplification and what I can chuck because its preamp and switching and video stuff?

I need the 400 wpc because our basement is massive and eats up bass like no other, but the surround sound would be nice.

Any expertise would be greatly appriciated because Im in over my head with this one (but I hope to learn.)

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10233
ar, what is the model# of the Pioneer?
Is there not a 'straight' or 'bypass' mode on the remote?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
I dont know the model off hand, I can look it up tomorrow. It doesnt have pre ins or amp outs (Im guessing its too old). I cant find any straight or bypass on it.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10247
AR, on some older Pioneers, If you select 'B' speakers ONLY, that was the straight through.
Can you try that?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Yes, I can. Ill try it when I get home

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10253
Any luck?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
nope none
I think I might just open both the recievers up and find the actual amplifing part and swap them our, or is it more complicated than that?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10262
It is very much more complicated than that, AR.
You are good with a meter?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us