Lolita Problem

Username: Kwb131

Post Number: 1
Hello. My MTX Lolita sub just started turning on for about 3 seconds then shutting off with the signal light still green. It's been working flawlessly for over a year...now this. Any ideas?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12615

Is this a powered sub? If so, is it set to "auto on"? If so, either switch it to "off" or have the circuit repaired.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10187
It might be getting old.
Find another Lolita.
Nabokov used his up as well, as I recall...

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12618

That was too easy, Nuck. Even I didn't go there.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10188
Hey, I take what I can get.

Post Number: 2
It is a powered sub. I've set it to "on" and "auto" with the same results. Could it be the receiver?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10191
It could be, Keith.
If you have not tried already, how about the speaker level inputs for the sub?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12619

"Is this a powered sub? If so, is it set to "auto on"? If so, either switch it to "off" or have the circuit repaired."

Where did I say place the switch to "on"? OK, if you must, leave the sub switched to "on" and disconnect all cables leading to and from the sub. What happens?

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1137
lol... I was expecting the lolita jokes when I saw this yesterday.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 217
Nuck...
A LITERATURE joke?
you never cease to amaze.
And right from the bottom of the barrel, too!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12625

Nuck has a black light poster of Nabokov above his bed.

"Nuckie, son, what are you doing up there?"

Post Number: 3
With the switch in both the "auto" and "on" positions the light stays green...with no cables attached.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 218
I think the light is switched by a 'clapper'

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10199
Ok, but will it run normally if it is wired to the high level inputs?
The input sensor for low level may be staying on, but the speaker level may still work.

Ignore the literary comments, Keith. Some of these lowbrows are not up to speed.

It is an Elvis blacklight poster, btw.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12628

If you haven't connected the high level speaker line inputs yet, stop and do this first. Connect your low level interconnect to the "LFE in" or whatever your sub indicates is line input. Disconnect the other end of that interconnect from the receiver and run the sub in the "auto" position for a few hours. So, all you'll have is the interconnect attached at the sub end and still no speaker output. If the problem recurs, you have a bad interconnect cable. If the problem doesn't come back, then disconnect the interconnect and hook the sub up via the high level speaker inputs. What happens?

Post Number: 4
I disconnected the line input from the receiver and put the sub switch to "auto" for an hour and the status light stayed green, meaning it thinks there is a signal being recieved from the reciever just no volume. Bad cable?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 221
If your cable is shorted, disconnecting from the receiver will do no good.
Disconnect the cable entirely.....just have the sub plugged into the A/C. If the 'on' light goes out with the switch in Auto/On, than it is probably a bad cable.
If not, turn it off, using the switch and make sure the power light goes either out or red, like mine which has green for on and red for off.
If it still doesn't go red, unplug it for a half hour or so, then with the power switch off, plug it back in. If it goes green yet again, the sensing circuit is locked on.....
I have never taken apart a plate amp, but if there MAY be a relay involved with that circuit, that would be the simplest item to check. I don't know any more. When I worked on equipment, ALL relays plugged into sockets and were easily changed. My most recent experience, with my house's heater, had a circuit board with soldierd in relays. Bad on them, the dirty *&^()'s.
If removing the power unlatches the on, than try speaker level inputs OR a cable.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12631

Once again before you go to all that trouble, if you have another cable of any length that you know is functional, plug it into the sub and see what happens.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 222
Yep, I was getting a little ahead of the problem.
1st things 1st.

Point is, you aren't helpless in this situation and can still eliminate some possibilities.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us