Help identifying speakers

Bronze Member
Username: Boulderdashcci

Canton, Mass USA

Post Number: 22
A long time ago I got a set of bookshelf speakers from a yardsale and ended up giving them to a friend. I can't remember what these were but I do remember some distinctive features of them that maybe one of you will recognize.

They were a two way speaker, made probably in the 70s or 80s. They had a 6.5" or so woofer and a soft dome tweeter mounted in the upper center. The woofer had a rubber surround and distinctive 'stars', I guess where the wire met the cone. I remember there was a pretty large crossover network in them, and they were filled with foam or insulation. It was a sealed design.

They were pretty heavy, if I had to guess maybe 20-25lbs each. They had smaller binding posts with thumb screws and were rated at 4ohm.

They were wood veneer, maybe 12x10x8", and had grills similar to older Advent speakers (cloth with Velcro to hold them on, and they fit in like a "frame" of the enclosure).

I thought maybe these were Advents, but I went through an Advent identification thread on another site and none of them fit the description.

I'm just trying to remember what these are and if they'd be worth trying to get back, I don't believe the person I gave them to ever used them. I hope that's enough info, that's about all I could remember.

Thanks...

-Freddie

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 16487
I have those exact speakers!!

Oh wait. Mine are 12x10x6".

Sorry.

Bronze Member

Canton, Mass USA

Post Number: 23
Lol, sorry, I know my description is pretty vague. I think the metal star things on the woofer are pretty unique as I've never seen them before or since, but everything else fits the description of.....ever other 6.5" bookshelf. :-/

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1863
My advice is to scour eBay http://electronics.listings.ebay.com/Speakers-Subwoofers_Bookshelf-Speakers_W0QQ dfspZ32QQfclZ3QQfromZR11QQsacatZ14991QQsocmdZListingItemList , you might just get lucky.

Bronze Member

Canton, Massachusetts USA

Post Number: 24
I'm pretty sure I've found what I'm looking for. I was reading a vintage audio site and decided to put 'ADS Speaker' into Google images and came up with something that was very close to what I remember.

This is the picture that I found (the pair closest to the front): http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g252/rcfreak090/DSC06757.jpg

This picture shows the drivers (which again, look to be the same) much closer but the overall speaker is different:
http://www.oaktreeent.com/web_photos/Stereo_Speakers/ADS_L810_Stereo_Speakers_co llage.jpg

The drivers were very similar to that, however I remember the enclosure being smaller and the tweeter being mounted in the center, not offset. Does that ring any bells to those of you who know A/D/S speakers? That does look to be the exact set of drivers that I remember though, with the woofer having the metal stars and the tweeter having the same assembly.

If anyone knows what these are, would they be worth trying to get back (for a second system I suppose)? It's been years since I've heard them, so I don't really have anything to go on.

Thanks...
-Freddie

Username: Ozz76

Post Number: 1
hay guys Im new to this site have a speaker ? what makes a good speaker a good speaker? wanting to buy! just doing some research. price ranges from $200 to $20,000

Username: Ozz76

Post Number: 2
forgot to add I know nothing about speakers

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1884
The differences in speakers can be compared to the differences between automobiles; technical/performance and aesthetic/craftsmanship.

Usually, more expensive speakers are made in smaller numbers, use more exotic materials, and may more accurately reproduce sound as compared to less expensive designs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us