Reduce sub vibrations?

Silver Member
Username: Hannjeff

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 224
So, I am moving out of my basement apartment to a pretty high-class downtown apartment. That is the good news. The bad news is my Paradigm PW-2100 sub might be a bit too much for the place. The way it is designed there will be a pretty good echo coming from my system, and the hardwood floors will not help dampen it any. I am basically looking for a riser to lift the sub off the floor, and dampen the sound. I know I will loose a drastic amount of thump by doing this, but I really don't want to get evicted (the wife will murder me) :S

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 201
You're a goner. Maybe, try to find out from the neighbors what they will tolerate.

Convince everyone you are DEAF! It has worked for me in the past.

Forget damping it out. The whole building's gonna rumble.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6825
I know that sub very well....sell it now before I have to read about your untimely death!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12609

You're missing the point here. It's not the sub that is the problem, it's the construction of the building. The subwoofer is putting pressure waves into the room space, when this happens the room will resonate at certain frequencies determined by its dimensions. All you can do is minimize those resonances. If you do not, those resonances will be transferred throughout the building's structure. It's all but impossible to minimize this sort of transfer of energy in existing construction.

You can minimize the amount of resonance the sub activates within your room. Contact ASC tube traps for their advise and then be prepared to spend lots of money. http://www.acousticsciences.com/index.htm

Otherwise, be a good neighbor and turn your system down.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6826
and get rid of the sub....

That particular sub isn't very musical but slams hard for HT. I used to have 2 of them...after I had a PW2200. Slam by the bucketload..

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 202
If you are in the mood to spend LOTS+LOTS of money, have a sub-room built inside the current room, with full isolation / insulation.

I still say, tell the neighbors you're deaf.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10177
big horn stuck in your ear...
hehehe...I like it!

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 210
Wear sunglasses and carry a white cane and a cup of pencils. Make a point of getting caught in the lobby of your new digs.

And with all due respect to Jan, the problem with the Sub woudn't exist if it wasn't in the building and the problem with the building doesnt' exist without the sub. All you said about resonance is true, but is not a problem until you excite those modes.

Building an isolated sub-room is the cost-no-object solution.

Silver Member

Post Number: 225
Leo, wouldn't the sunglasses and cane make me look blind? I thought I was deaf... dear god am I blind and deaf! Why dear god why!

I think, I am going to keep the sub very low, and become very good friends with my neighbors. Worst case scenario, I have to keep it turned off completely, and I have to live with the bass from my Monitor 9's

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12613

Yu might want to wear dark glasses, carry a cane and dress in short skirts and frilly tops with a fried egg on your forehead. The neighbors won't complain about the subwoofer.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1494
"That particular sub isn't very musical but slams hard for HT. I used to have 2 of them...after I had a PW2200. Slam by the bucketload.."

Does it ever slam. Jeffrey, you could always use it as a second coffee table.lol. Those subs are big enough. Just keep it down dude.

Silver Member

Post Number: 226
The PW2200 might slam by the bucket load, probably because of the size of it (15" I believe), but the 2100 I have is a really good sub for music, actually thats why I bought it, it was versitile enough for music and for movies, but petty differences aside, I think I will just have to keep it very low. Oh well, maybe in a year or 2 when I buy a house I can really crank it :-) I did buy it with the fact that it will last many many years in mind. I'm gonna try the cane and glasses though, just so I can try stealing newspapers though :-)

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10180
And a pinball machine...

Silver Member

Post Number: 239
I think I could get a pinball machine now. What I really want is one of those fortune teller machines though! I found on in the mall once, one of those japanese import / as seen on tv stores, but the price was way to much. Well, too much then, I would probably get it today...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us