Quadral Vulkan German speakers have me stumped

Username: J_thompson

Lincoln, Nebraska USA

Post Number: 1
New guy here and not an expert - just a hifi nut who is in over his head on this one. I picked up a pair of Quadral Vulkan speakers (made in Germany - late 70's early 80s) recently and can't figure out the correct set up. They require active crossovers, which I have both of, but there seems to be more wires from the speakers than plug-in openings on the crossovers? Here's what I have so far: the c-overs are wired for 220v and I think I can solve that by using a step-up coverter or by just having a 220v outlet wired in by a pro. The speakers have the usual (1 red, 1 black) wire connections at the rear. Each speaker is wired independently with a total of six wires coming out of the base of each speaker (2 each for woof, mid, and tweet - 1red/1black). The back of the crossover seems clear enough where to plug in but there are not enough plugs. I'm assuming the three red plugs from each speaker plug into the crossover but what I don't understand is what to do with the black ones? So far, I haven't found anyone who can figure this out completely so if anyone is up for a challenge? Any ideas, theories, etc, would be very welcome. Needless to say I'm a little anxious to crank these up. I've included some pics that will hopefully give a clear idea of the situation. Thanks!Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Lincoln, Nebraska USA

Post Number: 2
and a few more..Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1163
You do not plug the XO directly into the speaker. What you have to do is the following:

You start with the output from your preamp. Right and left go into the inputs of your active XO's (right going to the XO of the right speaker, left going to the XO of the left speaker). The XO's then divvy up the signal into three parts per speaker. At that point you need three mono amplifiers per speaker. Each mono amplifier receives its signal from the XO and outputs into the appropriate range on the speaker.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Lincoln, Nebraska USA

Post Number: 3
I really appreciate the information. At least I'm on the right track at this point. Do you know if there is a way to run these without six mono amps? I'm intrigued by the thought but am wondering if there is a way to pull this off without breaking the bank. If amps are a must, any recommendations on specific amps? Thanks!!

Gold Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1166
You could always get three stereo amps, or a six channel amp, but one way or the other you'll need six channels of amplification.

As far as what kind of amp, it'd be hard to say without more specific information on the speakers (an impedance curve and phase angle plot would be useful in determining how difficult of a load to the amplifier the speakers would present). Without more info, all anyone can really do is take a shot in the dark.

However, since you asked for a recommendation, I'll point you to the Behringer A500. Its a decent quality (professional grade) stereo amplifier that runs about 200 bucks. And its German too!!!

Lincoln, Nebraska USA

Post Number: 4
Those Behringer A500's look like they might be just right for my situation. Thanks for the suggestion! I'm learning at a very steep angle on this stuff right now and its been fun but I've got a long, long way to go. I'll try to find out more specific information on the speakers to get an impedance cure and phase angle plot. Just to be certain I understand, these are two channel amps so I would need three of them, right? Thanks!!

Gold Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1167
"Just to be certain I understand, these are two channel amps so I would need three of them, right? Thanks!!"

Correct.

Username: Zorin

Post Number: 8
Hi Jon,
in my experience transmission line speakers tend to be current hungry but not very high powered, Ive seen the TDL drivers blown by amps that are too small but you shouldn't drive em too hard either its a fine line between the the two.
control and low volume clarity can be massive with the right amp. Hope you have great fun with these (they don't need loud volume ) PLay some organ music or contra basoon and the bass will send shivers down your spine, try Gotterdamerung (ride of the valkaries)
Hope I Spelt that right.
enjoy Jon.

Post Number: 9
The danish brand DENSON make very good hi fi amps and they are very versatile don't know what they cost in the U.S. but I think they would be on my shortlist.

Post Number: 10
The danish brand DENSON make very good hi fi amps and they are very versatile don't know what they cost in the U.S. but I think they would be on my shortlist.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2909
That's Densen, not Denson...

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2708
Densen is pretty much non-existant in the US. The US distributer is an NYC area dealer who has them solely to be able to get anything a customer wants. I mean that in a good way.

He's tried to distribute them and to pass the distribution off to others, but from what I understand no one is interested. Its very unfortunate because Densen makes some rock solid gear and it sounds phenominal IMO. If I could afford it, I'd be all over it.

Maybe Densen's lifetime warrantee rubs dealers the wrong way.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
if your on a budget try Rotel very solid and reliable and reasonably priced pwr amps.

Lincoln, Nebraska USA

Post Number: 5
Thanks to everyone for the input here - especially the amp recommendations. Hopefully I can get these set up right the first time. It sounds like it takes some power to get these going but once you do that you should not get carried away with the volume control. Thanks goodness I'm not 17 again or these speakers (or any for that matter) would be in serious trouble. Thanks again for all the help and I'll post my progress as it unfolds.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us