Project debut III "laid back" and "forgiving"

Username: Derricker

Post Number: 9
HI THERE! What does "laid back" and "forgiving" mean? That it smooths the sound out? Is the Xpression III also forgiving and laid back? I am still debating on what turntable to get. I will definitely be getting the speedbox after reading what a difference it makes.

The only turntable I have ever used was an NAD 533 and I loved it. That may help tone your advice, if any.

Thanks for the great info. I've learned a ton about tables reading here for a few weeks.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6755
Laid back and forgiving often means rolled off a bit at the top end of the frequency spectrum.

The Music Hall MMF2 is right between the Debut III and the Xpression III for performance and features...may want to consider one...the Debut is good as well.

Speed Box is worth it and I will certainly get one for my MMF2, however cartridge is going to be the most critical choice. Yeah I know they come with one and amazingly the Xpression comes equipped with the worst one...the Sumiko Oyster is a real dog. The MMF2's Music Hall Tracker (Roy Hall has no ego does he, it's actually a Goldring Elan) is the best stock cartridge on any of the budget tables and it ain't much.

Keep in mind that Music Hall does not take care of their customers so only buy their gear from a dealer who takes care of you if/when Music Hall doesn't.

The Debut and Xpression are both outstanding buys...you would be amazed at how good a Debut can sound with a Speed Box and a really good cartridge...don't forget that you will have to get a heavy counterweight to use a cartridge over 6 grams.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2683
Art's advice is spot on IMO. I own a 1Xpression and owned a Debut III. I like the Xpression a lot more personally. In its stock form, the Xpression 3 is a good bit better than the Debut 3. But you should definitely factor in the cost of a new cartridge. The Sumiko Oyster is horrendous. I started a thread a while back called "Cartridge advice for 1Xpression" if you're interested in reading about a few different cartridges, and what cartridges can work on the Xpression.

If you really liked the NAD 533, you may want to take a close look at the Rega P2, or even the P3. They're excellent tables, and do sound a bit different than the Pro-Jects and Music Halls. Had I to do it over again and my system was what it is now, I'd have bought a P3 from the start. No regrets though, I'm really enjoying my Xpression.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us