Maggie MGIIC

Username: Borkedness

Hemet, Ca

Post Number: 7
hello, my buddy has a pair of magneplanar mg II c speakers, in excellent condition and they sound amazing(unlike anything i have heard). He is selling these to finance his new project(switching to car audio). He wants me to put them on ebay, I'm not sure how much to ask for these and what kind of price i should get/lowest i should take? Any help is much appreciated!

Again they are in excellent condition, no damage/tears/non smoking etc..

He also has a set of Monster Z2 series BiWire cables to go with them.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12506

Check the Orion blue book pages at Audiogon.

http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl

Username: Borkedness

Hemet, Ca

Post Number: 8
Hmm thanks, that is a cool site and informative but for $40? Does anyone have a guestimation off the top of their head? Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1241
You should check to see if they would require a rebuild of the drivers. I bought a pair of MG-Ic speakers about a year ago and one of the drivers, the tweeter, was torn. The previous owner did not know of this until he went to change the socks and saw this as well as the wiring was peeling off. There was no audible difference, at least according to him. The rebuild was about $500 because both panels needed to be replaced in order for the sound to match.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2679
I know $40 sounds kind of steep, but consider the alternatives - if he over-prices, they won't sell; if he under-prices, he won't get what he deserves.

$40 is cheap if its going to get him and exrta couple hundred bucks that he didn't realize he could get for them. Its also cheap if its going to help him sell the speakers faster, instead of waiting around for someone who doesn't know better.

Also, check out Audiogon's Magnepan listings. Chances are that a few people are selling an identicle or similar pair. Use their asking prices as a guide. They list how long the speakers have been listed and number of views. Some have sat around for a while, others sell very quick.

Also consider if you're going to include shipping and/or paypal fees in the price or not.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2680
Also, listing on Audiogon may be the better route to go, or you could list them in both places.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 191
Boy, have prices gone UP.
I had my MG-1s (original, 70's issue) rebuilt at the factory about 1999 and the price was <300$ w/shipping.
I sold them for 300$, just last year. I hope they are still fine and in service.

It is also easier to reduce the price than to increase the price. People LOVE to negotiate a lower price.

Try to sell local, if possible. Shipping Maggies is a Bear. You will eat up potential profits with shipping and unless you saved ALL the original shipping materials will need to have new stuff fabricated. If they are worth...say.....400$, nobody is going to give the 400 + 100 (+25%) for shipping.

Old Maggies tend to delaminate. The inventor / original builder worked for 3M so he used 3M products to glue the wire to the diaphragm...like 3M 77 contact adhesive.

Username: Amitg

Post Number: 8
Are Magnepans sold outside the US/Canada? I couldn't see anything on their website......would Martin Logans be a good substitute for them?

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 195
2 other things::
1. Magnepan Users Group, MUG, for short is a great source of Maggie information.

2. Pricing? Call a local hi-end store and ask for the 'book' price. That is a good place to start.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us