Speed Issue

Username: Sefour

Post Number: 1
I recently purchaced a Philco turntable from a thriftshop that appeared to be in great condition, however I'm now finding that this machine has a peculiar speed issue: when records are played at the 33.3 rpm setting the speed is offset and I find that they are actually spinning at about 37 rpm. Initially I felt that this might have been an issue with having too much electric current; I tried plugging the player in at different locations, thinking that there might have been a problem with the wiring in my house, but this was not the case. My next thought was that there was an issue with the player's belt, however, I recorded the rpms of the 45 and 78 settings and found that they were rotating normally and it seems that if the belt was indeed faulty then it would have an effect on every setting. I took a look at the tiered locking mechanism to see if everything was shifting into place when I changed the speeds and did not find any problems. I'm out of ideas.

Post Number: 2
And I forgot to that I live in America and that this is an American player, so the problem isn't being caused by international frequency/voltage issues.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12494

Since Philco is not a major brand in tables, there's not much to tell you. The table could be wrong from the start. Pulley size determines what speed a belt drive tables hits. If this table sat unattended for years, the grease may have hardened and caused a change in speed. The platetr might have a glaze of goop on it. Look for a technician who might want to take a look at this table. If you're certain the belt is in good condition and unless the problem is being caused by incorrect pulley ratios the repair will probably require a major tear down.

Post Number: 3
I think that I've narrowed the problem down to having somthing to do with the tiered mechanism that shifts when the speed is changed; it doesnt exactly click into place under the 33rpm setting like it does for the others-not quite sure why though. Any ideas?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10094
David, the pulley may be worn.
There may ba a retainer on the pulley shart that is held by a snap ring which is away from it's land.
Something mechanical that maybe only you can see.
Does the pullet affix to the shaft with a lock?
Do the pulley's all affix together?

Maybe it was just made this way?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us