I need a help with NAD 2140 stereo amplifier. THANK YOU!

Hi, I need a HELP! I've got stereo amplifier NAD 2140 and I can't find anything about it. I know only that its power about 40W per channel, power supply 300W, 240V.
What power ratings really are, features, what kind of speakers I can connect (4 or 8 ohms), how to control the volume, (there's no volume control and controling it with input signal seems to be a problem, because it doesn't give much volume), etc.
I have connected this amplifier from my computer sound card ant it seems that this way of connection isn't good...
Thanks for the help again!

G-Man
You need to buy a pre-amp. Pre-amps are the control center and send a low level output to the amplifier for final large scale boosting---hence the word amplifier: it amplifies the signal given it.

I would connect high efficiency bookshelf type speakers that are at least 90 db's or higher.

I have a feeling you don't want to spend much money on this. If this is right you will need to buy a "used" pre-amp---maybe one by NAD from a site like Audiogon.com

As far as speakers are concerned, which ones you should get are very dependent on your budget.

This is why for most "newbies" just getting involved in A/V that don't have much money to spend I tell them to either get a packaged system or a receiver (which has the pre-amp, amplifier, and tuner in one chassis)and then get an inexpensive speaker system that sounds good to them.

Hawk
Jimmy:

You have your hands on a "classic", but G-Man is right, you need some kind of pre-amp to control it. A used NAD on Audiogon is a great idea. A new NAD pre-amp (2 channel) has an MSRP of $599 and I see DMC Electronics has a refurb for $399.

Your NAD is 40 wpc, but it also has an IHF dynamic headroom rating of 3 db, which means it can hit a full 80 wpc on transient musical peaks. And those are real watts, too, not the anemic watts pedelled by the mass market receiver makers. You can do well with any speakers with a sensitivity rating of 87-88 db or higher. And it will handle 4 ohm loads. You may check on the back panel to see if there is a speaker impedence switch. I think it does and you should use it to match the impedence of your speakers. But we get ahead of ourselves here. You need a pre-amp before you get the speakers.

G-Man
I forgot that the amp you have is a stereo (2 channel) amplifier. Hence, you either need to get a stereo pre-amp, or if you decide to get a multi-channel A/V pre-amp with 5.1 to 7.1 capabilities, you will need to get another amp with at least 3 channels that complements the amp you have now to be able to listen to surround sound for movies and music in the popular surround formats--such as Dolby Prologic II, DTS, Dolby Digital 5.1 or 7.1, etc.

If you are satisfied to listen to stereo you just need a stereo pre-amp and 2 speakers.

So you need to decide what you want to use the system for before anyone can give you "good" advice.

i just purchased a nad 2140 pwr amp,how may i get an owners/operators for it ,is their any sites to download it or stores that may sell them thanks
jazzyjoe

I have a AIWA RX-N7O7U. A home stereo system with cd player and cass player. I tried listening to a CD last night only to hear crackling and loud noise from speakers. I tried the cass player and the same thing. No problem listening radio but nothing from CD player and cass player.

Please help

how much would a nad 2140 amp sell for? I have a used one in decent condition that I might put up on ebay. Any idea how much to expect? If anyone wants to make an offer, Im up to that too.

Scott
I sent you a message regarding your amp...please check your email.

Scott
Jason, I want to buy your 2140. Please respond to my email. Thanks.

sorry scott, i didn't get your emails. Try my email again. Im not sure why it didnt go though, but make me an offer and we'll work out the details.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us