An interview with Ken Kessler author of "the" book on McIntosh

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1852
http://us.cinenow.com/videos/1482-ken-kessler-author-of-book-on-mcintosh

I need to pick up a copy of this book as soon as I can free up some funds.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1247
I have that book courtesy of a house guest I had, Nuck.

I also enjoyed this video which I found from your link CM.

http://us.cinenow.com/videos/1487-ken-kessler-talks-about-channel-revival

Gold Member

Post Number: 1853
Nice house guest.

Thanks for that link Mike. I especially like his comments regarding this hobby being a father-son thing, and like so many other things, inheriting your big brothers catchers mitt, your fathers wristwatch, grandpa's razor, the demise of hi-fi, like the demise of fatherhood itself, is a another rip in the American cultural fabric; if it's turning around, well that's a good thing IMHO.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10050
Great host, and a good friend.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1854
That was very nice Nuck; did you keep one for yourself?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10061
Nope, ran out of money, LOL!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12449

The McIntosh book would have intimidated Nuck's Classe amplifiers. It weighs more than they do.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1858
Has anyone ever written a authoritative history of the pioneers of hi-fi? (hint, hint, Jan)

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12459

To my knowledge no one has ever compiled such a book. The first problem is the scope of the project. "Audio" came about in the 1920-30's with Bell Labs and RCA leading the way. In England EMI was a driving force at the same time. Both sides of the Atlantic established many if not the vast majority of concepts we accept today. Both digital theory and "surround sound" were established theories in the 1930's and sat for decades just waiting for the right technology to allow them to exist in reality.

The War and the years afterward established numerous new heroes and their creations. The American market was the dominant force but the English established the BBC as a vital force in audio research. The French, Germans and Italians contributed their share of innovations in design and execution. Like these groups the Japanese high end had its largest success when they looked back at the technologies the US market was leaving for dead. Tubes, triodes, single ended amplifiers, horns and single driver speakers emerged from those markets outside the US and still exist as the "lunatic fringe" to many American audiophiles. Not so the rest of the world.

A few years back when HiFi News published their fiftieth anniversary edition they asked their writers for a list of the fifty most influential people in audio. It was almost impossible to get sufficient agreement to compile an authoratative list from just the contributions of a handful of writers.

I don't believe Kessler has published his books as anything more than limited editions meant to satisfy his desire to not let certain names be forgotten. Making money off such a book would seem highly unlikely.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10063
They made enough offa me!

The Mac book is indeed a weighty tome. it might be full of tar to make it heavier.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us