Dynaudio 42

Quadstar
Unregistered guest
Hi,

I'm new to this audio stuff and will be having my first stereo setup soon. After some listening in a nearby audio shops, I'm stuck with the Dynaudio 42, Paradigm Monitor 3 and the B&W 602 s3 after some listening. What do you guys think about these speakers? Anyone here own anyway of this speaker here and would like to share your opinion?

Or any other suggestions on the speaker in the same price range?

BTW, I have the NAD C320BEE and NAD C541i

I hope Hawk and others could give me some advice.

Silver Member
Username: Rick_b

New york Usa

Post Number: 252
Quadstar,

All 3 speakers are good ones. What really matters is which one you think sounds best. I am familiar with all 3, and for my money I would go with the Dynaudio 42's with your NAD gear. I think the combo of NAD's warm sound with the fine imaging and detailed sound of the 42's make for an excellent combo. Good luck.

Quadstar
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your advice... Will be doing some more listening on these three to find out which one I like the most.

BTW, any other speakers in the same price range that you may suggest?

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 257
Quadstar,

For speakers to $1000 a pair, you may also want to audition Magnepan MMG's and Ohm Micro Talls.

Unregistered guest
Hi Quadstar,

Have you considered used gear? I know it's a bit of a gamble, but you can get used stuff off of Audiogon.com for often 1/3 of retail. Between this forum, Audioreview.com, and some research, you could really line yourself up something you wouldn't normally be able to aford.

You can buy new ones for $1000, or a $3000 pair for $1000 used. Mind you, these guys generally take excellent care of their gear. It's just a thought,(and if anyone on this forum disagrees with me - I'd listen to them!) lol

BTW - Green Mountain Europas seem to be making quite a stir here and on other forums. They're $880 new. Another to consider. (Granted, I'm waiting to see what Rick B says about them!)

Best of luck.

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 259
MarcC,

I hope you are not waiting for me so you can make a decision. LOL! I still can't comment on the GMA's, because I can't find a pair to listen to. I may just buy a pair anyway...stay tuned. Haven't you been able to listen to a pair?

As far as used gear goes I agree with you. I have upgraded via the pre-owned market many times over the years, but don't recommend it to those starting out in hifi. Cheers!

Quadstar
Unregistered guest
Rick,

Dont recommend it to those starting out in hifi...
Could you please explain more?

I recently found a "dyna 42" on auction from ebay selling about half the price for a new one..a little bit of a gamble here..

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 260
Quadstar,

When starting out I think it better to start out with new gear, a warranty should something go wrong, and a return/exchange policy if it turns out the item is not what you expected.

I have been very lucky, and have never been burned. But remember, when buying pre-owned, it's always a gamble. Good luck!

Unregistered guest
Rick,

Nope - haven't got my mitts on a pair yet. (Have been eyeing this one pair on Audiogon tho.) Unfortunately, finances have extended my "research" time as far as buying any stereo gear. Will probably be a few more months before I dive in.

Until then, it's "information gathering" - and that's fine by me!

Any of this stuff is going to blow me away anyway...and it will all do it for the same or less than I would pay at Circuit City. I'm not an audiophile (as you might have guessed), just a music lover who knows that with a little homework and help he can do alot better.

Silver Member

New york Usa

Post Number: 261
MarcC,

What's most important is the love of the music my friend. Cheers!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us