Phono has no earth but amp does

Username: Mikey_b

Post Number: 1
I have a sony turntable with 2 phono plugs.However my amp/receiver has a phono connection with an earth connection needed.As a result the sound is terrible...is there a solution or do I need a different turntable. They are both Sony but that seems irrelevant. H E L P !

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1311
mike,

Just make an earth/ground connection: use a length of single cable to bring a metal part of the turntable/arm into electrical connection with the earth on the amp/receiver.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Get about a 8 gauge solid core cable, 3 wire with a ground Romex house wire would be the best as the thicker the cable the better the gound potential, lower resistance and all that stuff. Sttp off about a foot of the insulation and twist all the wires together with a BIG pair of electrician's pliers. Wrap this around the end of your tonearm at the cartridge end and secure it tightly with the pliers. It is best to take some elctrician's tape and wrap it around the combined tonearm/Romex combination but duct tape or gaffer's tape are much cheaper and do a better job since the silver stuff has aluminum in it and will let the grounding electrons travel more freely through space. If this arrangement gets in the way of the stylus just bend it down at little bit till it either touches the record or breaks off. If it breaks just jam a good sized sewing needle in to the cartridge. Make ceratin the pointy end is going to get to the record otherwise this fix doesn't sound too good! Then wrap the wire, the Romex stuff, around the tonearm real, real tight cause that will eliminate resonances that don't make your system sound good. Keep the pilers out cause you're gonna need them later. Take the wire and wrap it around the feet of your turntable so they are grounded. Grounded feet are important to a turntable. Run this wire from the table to an electrical outlet and again strip off a couple feet of the insulation making sure you kind rough up the wire so it will grab hold of stuff. Jam as many of the wires into as many of the holes in the walla as you can get in there and then connect the rest to the reciever. If that is not too easy to do you want what they call a cold water pipe ground which means yoy have to take your hifi into the bathroom and put it in the tub. Be carefulnone of the wires you have got twisted togwethre fall off cuse yoy won't remember where to put them and you'll have to start from scratch shoving things together. (It ain't that hard to do though if you didn't leave the pliers in the other room. So put evevrything in the tub wuithnthe table balance on the thing sticking out of the top and your erecievr has gott to be on the botrtom and then you stick some of the extera wuierwes into the thing and then you turn on the wwter so it gives a could cold water thin g and then if you getb in the tudb with it with head[pheones are best now you will noy have a ahunm anymore. Hope that hwlpsda. I gottwe GO GETSOMEMORE TO DRINK, BYE.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1313
mike,

Just to say I agree with all Jan writes PROVIDED the tone arm is not electrically connected with the turntable chassis. If it is, you may as well just ground the turntable chassis, and you then don't have to worry about the mechanical effect of the wire on the tonearm. Yes, a nice big, thick, length of 30 Amp cooker wire or similar is ideal. Solid copper gives extra peace of mind, but, in practice, try it and see. A single piece of 5 Amp, stranded lighting flex can be enough.

Whichever way the arm is connected to the rest of the turntable, I also strongly recommend another drink. Always beneficial.

Cheers!

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
cheeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrstoooooooooooooooyououuuuuooutoooooooooooototooooooo ooooooooojjjjjjjjjjohnmmmmmhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1317
Jan,

The time zones mean our clocks are out of synch. But cheers, on Monday morning, in return. I have now listened to Shostokovich No. 2 in A major, too. Awesome, wonderful. Written in 1944. Part of my personal commemoration of relatives (whom I never knew), yesterday. Those Rubio Qt. recording are marvellous. Thank you much for recommending that cycle. In return I can confidently recommend that recording.

Username: Mikey_b

Post Number: 2
Thanks guys for the tip, I am now fully operational on the turntable front.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1387
mike,

So, what did you do.....?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us