Phono Stage Suggestions/Advice Please

Username: Patrickf

Romney Marsh, Kent UK

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I have recently acquired a Pro-ject 2 Xperience TT fitted with the Ortofon Rondo Red MC cartidge (to replace my ageing Pioneer PL12D).

Although my present phono stage works OK with it I have to turn the gain up full to get a decent output.

I would be grateful for any advice/suggestions for a replacement phono stage for this cartridge. I am looking to spend in the region of £200 - $300.

Many thanks

Patrick

Romney Marsh, Kent UK

Post Number: 2
The spend should read £200 - £300. I don't know where the $ came from!!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2837
Patrick,

Pro-ject make a £300 phono stage which some people like. Not sure about the gain though.

Nothing else below a lot more that I can think of. My favourite sub-£500 phono stages are the Tom Evans Microgroove at £400 and the Dynavector P-75MkII at £475 or so. The Dynavector is particularly good, especially when left switched on all the time, and it benefits from being MM/MC and load switchable.

Regards,
Frank.

Romney Marsh, Kent UK

Post Number: 3
Many thanks Frank.

I guess I'll have to save for a bit longer. The Dynavector specs on the manufacturers site look good (but then manufacturers specs always do)!! It is probably worth while in the long term to go for a better one, always assuming that my hearing is capable of differentiating between them.

I had wondered whether anyone had any views on the Gram Amp 3 or the high gain MC version of the Creek OBH-15.

Regards

Patrick

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2847
No idea about the Creek which should be a good item since Mike Creek makes reasonably good kit.

The Graham Slee is an interesting option. It gets good press and is upgradeable. However, people I know who have heard it (and on the few occasions I've had a listen in unfamiliar systems) say that it isn't all that good. Probably worth a look all in all, but definitely listen to others before making your mind up.

The Dynavector is a very good phono stage. I've been living with it for a few weeks to see what it's like. By comparison to far more expensive phono stages it loses out in terms of resolution and presence, but by comparison to less expensive stages it simply oozes class, has excellent gain and delivers real excitement.

I am using it with a very high end turntable solution and the power supply I am using is a bargain basement £5 job. I'm told a better power supply such as those Powerpak things available from Russ Andrews improves it further. However, I have yet to substantiate this (and likely never will).

Given that the Dynavector can be used with both MM and MC cartridges with no extra expenditure, it's certainly one to hear before buying anything.

Regards,
Frank.

Romney Marsh, Kent UK

Post Number: 4
Again, many thanks Frank.

Unfortunately, the only decent audio shop that I know of is in a pedestrianised precinct. My mobility is such that they are pretty much off limits to me and so the luxury of listening before buying is rare.

I therefore have to rely on the internet for advice on such matters and so I am all the more grateful for the advice of experts like yourself.

Regards

Patrick

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1238
I am getting a chance to demo a Perreaux SVX-1 phono stage. Not that I need or want one, but it will give me an opportunity to hear what a solid state phono stage sounds like with my kit. If I were to wager, I do not think it will surpass the tube phono stage which is part of my Rogue Magnum 99 pre-amp, but I will keep an open mind.

Has anyone here any experience with this one?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2852
Patrick,

Ouch, that's quite an awkward problem to get around. I was under the impression that pedestrianised areas would make life easier for those with mobility issues, not more difficult! Ridiculous.

Regards,
Frank.

Romney Marsh, Kent UK

Post Number: 5
Hi Frank,

If I can park within about 15 - 20 yards of a shop (the distance I can walk in one go) then there is no problem providing that I can then sit for a time. I don't know of a pedestrianised precinct that has parking that close. If I had an electric buggy/wheelchair and lived close enough then I could manage that. However, living 15 miles away and with no-one to help load/unload and push my wheelchair I'm pretty much stuck. The only day my wife does not work is Sunday when, of course, most shops are closed.

Regards

Patrick

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2862
Major bummer.

Our shop is on a flat pedestrian walkway, but it must be anything betwen 50 and 100 yards from the road. Our back entrance is obviously our back door, but then there are numerous stairs to go up to get to the foyer.

From a dealer's perspective, the most difficult proposition here is that we can't take your credit card authorisation to lend you kit. You can't come into the shop and we can't bring the machine all the way to the road (not a long enough cable! :-) ).

So, what you're looking for is a dealer who works Sundays or has a late night opening (both rare), happens to live close by to you (possible) and therefore can come round to demo you stuff at home. Not easy...

(I'm nowhere near Kent, let alone Romney Marsh.)

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Jazzman71

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 158
Patrick,

Here is one Pro-Ject.
http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?tech=tubebox&cat=accessories&lang=en
Is this the one you are thinking of Frank? Not sure whether your cartridge is low OP or high OP, but this one does both MM and MC carts.

I would think you could find something in that price range from Pro-Ject, Musical Fidelity or Rega that would work well with your TT. Audiogon has a couple that will let you demo in the home before you buy, so I would look for a seller willing to do that in your neck of the woods. With all the audio companies in the UK, I would also look for a distributor that might be close to you. If all else fails, I would contact the companies directly and explain your situation and I bet they can get someone to drop one off for a couple of days.

Regards,
Neil

Romney Marsh, Kent UK

Post Number: 6
Hi Neil,

That is one that I have looked at. However, the cartridge is low output (500 µV) and my understanding is that valve (tube) preamps don't sit well with low output mc cartridges because of the hum inherent in valve devices. I am quite prepared to be shot down in flames over this point, but that is what I have read elsewhere on the net.

I'll look into your other suggestions though.

Regards,

Patrick

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2873
Hi, yes I believe that's the unit I was thinking of. I know that the Rondo Red is low output but the Pro-Ject has the option of MM and MC switching. Yes, it's true that valves (tubes) are less usually used in MC phono stages. Often, a solid state circuit is used to boost signal to MM and then the valve stage is used to equalise and boost the result (all done internally of course). Alternatively, the most common MM tube phono stages are matched with an external step-up transformer. Each method has its strengths and weaknesses and there are successful examples of each.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us