Monitor Audio Speakers: B2 vs B4 vs S1

Unregistered guest
I just bought a NAD C370 Amp and a NAD C542 CD Player and now I am looking to buy a set of Monitor Audio speakers. The problem is I can't decide between the B2's the B4's and the S1's. The B2's cost $457 with Nexus 6 speaker stands; the B4's cost $455; and the S1's cost $471 with free standmounts that come with it. The B2's have of course gotten great ratings everywhere but they obviously don't have as much power as the other two choices. The B4s would be nice because they have more power but from what I understand, the bass is a little bit too powerful and they usually arn't respected as highly as the B2's. I don't know all that much about the S1's but I hear they are good, only I don't know if they would be as good for my specific system. If you've heard any 2 of these speakers and can compare them, or if you just have 1 of them and can tell me how they are that would be great. Also I don't have any places where I can demo them so that is out of the question. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Robertinchico

Post Number: 114
The B2 has good reviews in the British mags and The Absolute sound. But listen for yourself; I preferred the Paradigm Focus for less money. In my notes when auditioning the B4, which is a retuned B2 plus one more driver I wrote: B4 -- mediocre, "so-so", woofy box with dingy detail and an unsteady acoustic profile, underachiever, sound somewhat grainy.
If you move up to the S1, I'd say you could do much better than an expensive bookshelf for $500.
Maybe a quick survey of Paradigm or PSB speakers would be worthwhile.

OmegaLord
Unregistered guest
I am listening to the B2s as I'm typing this, (using them as near-field monitors per se with my PC) exceptionally detailed with respectable bass punch for standmounts. To appreciate the soundstage, I place them further behind the LCD with a slight toe-in. S1 uses a smaller mid/bass 6" as cf to B2s with a 6.5", for price performance ratio, B2s win. That's one reason it's getting roaring reviews all over. Check out What Hi Fi's Ultimate Guide....numerous separates using B2s are scored at full 5 stars. S1s are good too, highly detailed but soundstage are a little confined unless u use it in a small room, but go with what sounds good to u. Also S1s have a 5 star review at HFC though it did not garner as many raves from other established mags. Forget about the B4, they are something like what Chicobiker mentioned, 4/5 stars at most.
Just sidetracking, Paradigm has released a new line the Signature S2....which sounds as good as it looks but albeit a little overpriced at $2000!!

Unregistered guest
Thanks guys, I'm looking at the PSB Image 4T's right now, they sound like a good match for my NAD soundsystem and a little bit cheaper also.

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
OmegaLOrd - I'll say the Signature (Paradigm) new line looks a little overpriced too. Looks like some cabinet re-working trickery, but I'll wait till I audition them. Initial magazine reports are favorable, but I'll give them an audition.

WEDAFT - if you go for PSB, a safe choice, make sure you get the NEW Image line. PSB re-freshed the Image line with new cabinets and new drivers; but there is lots of the ORIGINAL stuff still around. You'll be getting a DATED speaker if you don't get the new stuff.
Lastly, your NAD will drive ANYTHING you hook up to it.

Unregistered guest
Chicobiker,

Do you know when exactly it was that PSB refreshed the Image line? I'm looking at buying the Image 4T's from several different places, and now that I know that not all the 4T's are the same I'm going to ask how old the speakers are. If you know the time when the Image line changed, that would be extremely helpful. Thanks for your help.

wedaft
Unregistered guest
is there any place online where you can buy PSB Image T45's yet?

Bronze Member
Username: Mixster

Lake Tahoe, NV

Post Number: 17
Wedaft,

I stumbled accross the new PSB Image line at www.yawaonline.com. I don't know anything about their reputation but I have seen posts on here that refer to them. Looks like the new Image line is substantially more expensive than the older one because most dealers have reduced the price of the older ones to make way for the new. Good luck and let us know what you choose.

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
You can view the PSB speakers on line at psbspeakers.com. The most telling sign of the new Image items would be that the new DRIVERS are grey-silver metallic (as opposed to the previous black and white) and it appears as though mostly the cabinets MAY be only available in a light colored wood finish, and the new model designations numbers are two digits instead of one plus an alpha C, B, T character.
The grill cloth also appears lighter instead of the black/dark cloth on the original series.
You'll see the yawaonline link in another post, Yawa is in Chino. I auditioned (very briefly) the new Wharfedale OPUS there. They were fine, but I didn't get a sufficient audition to make any further statements. Yawa is a very nice facility.

wedaft
Unregistered guest
I think I'll just got ahead and get the 4t or 5t instead of the t45 since the t45's are dramatically driving down the price of its predecessor.

OnimushaLord
Unregistered guest
I would get the MAs anytime if I were u :-)
But then, that's just my $0.02
B2s are the business when it comes to price/performance ratio .

Or perhaps try the online Ascend CBM-170 or Axiom's 22Ti.

Try listening for urself and reading up reliable reviews.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us