Dead On Arrival (DOA)

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 168
Well, it finally happened:
Bought a really nice, top line RB CD only player, took it home...did the usual plug in ritual, 2 fingers of Chivas and read the programming part of the book.

Inserted Disc......'No Disc' Error.
Try again.......same result.

Tried a couple Telarcs. Nope.
25 yrold Blues Breakers disc...Nix.

Uninstalled. Tried on the bench...the dining room table, in this case.

Started over...confirmed 115v setpoint.
checked menu settings.

Still dead.

Ever have one of those days?

..........leo.............

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 169
I will not mention manuf, since I believe this to be a fluke and the dealer is as surprised as I and will do whatever it takes to make this right.

Still, an awful result!

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1883
A real bummer for sure Leo. I'd demand a brand new one, not a fix seeing as it was DOA. Good luck with it.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 170
Dealer is nearly as bummed as I.
He offered::
1. take my lo-time demo
2. we'll ship you a new one

Maybe I'll borrow the demo until the new one arrives?
How's that for a compromise?

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1884
That sounds like a plan. Hope it works out (and that you let us know what cdp it was sometime - they all have their lemons).

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 208
That sucks Leo. I kind of like demos though. Saves burn in time.

Platinum Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2819
Leo,

My commiserations. It happens to the best I'm afraid. Glad to see you haven't lost your sanity over this.

Regards,
Frank.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9991
It happens. That is why we all go to dealers, right?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 172
To the extent that I am 'sane', it is indeed intact.

Dealer Demo in my system and playing now.

I offered to demo this piece if anyone wanted to buy one and the dealer guy said to keep some WINE CHILLED! Are you NUTS, said I, it'll be BEER! and lucky at that!

But I will get the new one in a week or so and it will be black finish.

Thanks for commiserating

.....leo........

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6620
Sounds like a good end Leo...very cool!

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1221
Hmmm...

Rega's come in black....

and silver....

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6623
Poor little Apollo...!

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 173
Sorry, didn't opt for the Apollo, but feel free to render opinions on the CA 840C.

It is a beautiful player, easily as good to my (limited / lack of education) ears as anything else I heard. I will be going to the balanced connections and using am considering using one of the DAC inputs for my OPPO, which has been relieved of all music duties and is back to movies only....But that may not happen.

Absolutely correct sounding and a fine match for the PSAudio amp and infamous Maggies.

The next round of upgrade fever is already stirring and involves room treatments made from DC703.....
film at 11

thanks for your support::

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6625
oh oh...from what I'm beginning to glean..not so atypical for Cambridge. Great sounding but just a bit dubious in the reliability area...

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 175
Art,
Hope you are wrong. If this turns into a money sink turkey, they'll get it back in an envelope.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10006
It is kind of hard to ignore what the 840 brings to the table for the price.

Silver Member
Username: Jazzman71

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 140
I'm hearing enough poor experiences with CA players right out of the box that I am beginning to wonder if it may be more than the isolated lemon.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6632
Yup...

Silver Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 192
Looks like the 840's are a bold CA attempt to play with the status brands. By most accounts, it's worked for them and another option is always good.

Some forums have commented that CA can't be making money on these with their construction, quality components, feature sets, and excellent sound. Who knows?

As noted, their CDPs have had reliability issues, yet it's hard to discount the risk/reward/value factor. It probably won't scare me off.

Here's hoping Leo's problems are resolved. If you get a chance, post some detailed impressions. Does the balanced sound better?

Remember auido synergy is critical; maybe, the CR does not do CA very well.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 177
The demo I borrowed is very detailed and without bias. I just listened to a very richly detailed rock album...Best of Queen.
Everything is resolved and where Freddie Mercury shows some sibilence on other non-dedicated players, here it is clean.

I am going to have a rare opportunity to go backwards when the new player arrives.
I will have a zero-time unit with which to compare.

Everyone says 'source first', but I believe that it is perhaps even MORE important to have a good disc IN a good source. I have lots of material which is not perfectly engineered and will never sound perfect, no matter what player is used.

Silver Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 193
A guy over at audioreview said it took something like 2 weeks to break in.

That's alot of 2 finger CR.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 806
I've had good luck with my CA so far (knock on wood).

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 311
I have had the dealer demo 840c for 4 months now. great player with many virtues.
my BLACK unit just came in so I went down and made the exchange.

DOA again.

Need I say more?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1245
The original one you had sent in for repairs is still DOA?

That sucks Leo!

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 313
David, sorry if there was a misunderstanding.
I bought a NIB silver 840c. DOA.
Dealer loaned me his player which is terrific.
He got me, 4 months later, a NIB BLACK player. Also DOA.

I am at a loss as to what to do next.

If this is typical CA, I'll take the money spent and go get an Apollo.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1246
NP, Leo, I was braindead last night.

I've read a fair amount of instances where CA CDPs have been faulty. Mine is still alive and kicking, and I use it practically every day.

I guesss it's the sort of thing that if it's gonna crap out, it does it right away?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10634
Electronic Infant Mortality?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7467
That's a bummer Leo, but now ya know.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1247
Third time's a charm?

But I'm guessing you're not going to give CA a third chance.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3134
Leo,

Oh man, what a painful experience. I mean, if the 2nd one arrived a week later and was also DOA that'd be one thing since it could be a batch issue, but to wait 4 months and then get another DOA, that's just...yeeeeouch!

Your dealer must've crumbled in a heap when you told him, poor guy!

Was it DOA in the same way? i.e. switched on OK but then wouldn't play or was it so dead that it wouldn't even come on?

Without wishing to twist the knife, the 840C has the input options. Are you sure it wasn't set to an input instead of its own drive or something like that?

TBH, I'm not sure what I would do in this situation, although I've known even low volume products to do this to the occasional unlucky customer!

Commiserations once again...

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 315
As a matter of fact Nuck, electronic infant mortality IS an issue. That is why I never get extended warranties on anything. We both work hi-tech. When you get in a NEW implanter....several million dollars worth, you put it together right on the floor. The Applied Materials implanters I use now, come in probably 20 large crates. Bottom Line? Boy, NOTHING ever works properly, out of the box. You must have everything properly connected, in the right order, facilities correct and than turn it on.
For the first year or so, you may replace half a dozen boards, a pump or 2 (hi-vacuum is 'turbo molecular' or 'cryogenic') and various other parts. After that, the darn thing settles down to the odd disaster every year or 2. PERIODIC MAINTENANCE is no guarantee, either since you can screw something up!

The general rule, is that if it is gonna crap out, it'll be fairly soon. Other than that, you are into the MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) world of statistics.

That being said, we cracked the case at the dealer. He was visibly pained. I even told him that I thought CA was screwing him! Well, we found a marginally connected ribbon cable, pushed it in and I am listening now. Boy, what a nice machine. This is a different problem than the 1st player, which had some kind of gear/mechanical issue.

And, in All Fairness to CA, this thing is beautiful inside. PS components nicely isolated. The fist-size toroid is a work of art. Boards /traces compact and all power components beautifully heatsinked. The transport mechanics appear to be robust with fairly wide, self lubricating nylon gears. If I ever nerve myself up to crack the case top again (TORX Drivers!), I'll post a picture or 2.

The symptoms, by the way, were Exactly the same, which doesn't mean much....a 'No Disc' error.....

And thanks to all for any and all replies to my miserable luck. In retrospect, My take is that the delivery guy must toss 'em out of the back at speed, into some goof standing there with a catchers mitt.
BOTH failures were mechanical and so easily fixed as to be nutty.

Diana Krall never sounded better, even right 'out of the box'.

I'm gonna pour myself a double...no make that a TRIPLE Chivas and listen myself into a stupor.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1255
Cheers!

I was thinking of upgrading to an 840 down the road. Glad you hear your faith in CA has been (partially) restored.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3141
Hmmm, I've never had Diana Krall out of the box...yummy. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 564
leo- Nice that you have a good dealer! And that the problem happened while still under warranty.
Nuck: "It happens. That is why we all go to dealers, right?"

When I got a new Azure 660C from a dealer it was noisy but since I am 2500 miles from the dealer and civilization, I made the bad gamble to see if it would wear in and quiet down. It never did.
Once past the warranty I was stuck with trying to find out from Cambridge if it could be fixed.
They refused to ever communicate with me. I also posted the problem on the CA forums but never got help.
I ended up simply giving it away to a nephew because it is ok for loud music.

While researching my problem I learned that CA does have a high rate of problems. I can see that could happen but there is no excuse for the lack of communication or advice for those past warranty. This is a company that has no customer relations whatsoever.

Now, thanks to suggestion on this forum, I am a dyed-in-the-wool Rega man. I also got a Rotel cdp which is a good 2 second.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 320
This should be my last post on this (painful) subject.

I have been in touch w/the USA CA distributor.

When I related the ribbon / edge connector observation he wrote back::

"We will tell the manufacturer to install a clip on the ribbon cable
connector."

I got NO answer to my suggestion to use the ShockWatch system of shipping sensors. They will 'trip' at certain 'g' forces and stay tripped. You have an easy visible indication that something has been dropped / abused in transit.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1268
That's agood idea, Leo. UPS should use these...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10637
UPS would never go near shock indicators, LOL!
It is the sender that applies the indicator to the package.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1272
I used to work as a shipper a long, long time ago and got to know quite a few UPS guys.

You know that scene from Ace Ventura when Jim Carrey dresses up as the UPS dude and boots the package all the way down the sidewalk?

Every UPS guy loved that scene. 'Nuff said.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1274
Here's another thread on CAM about a dead CA.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9374
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us