Speaker Repair

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1306
On my lunch, i noticed that my 5 1/4 inch woofer on my left speaker has just separated away from the outer portion of the woofer mount ?? I don't know to explain it. I will post pictures when I get home. The woofer itself is not damaged at all, looks like it just needs to be glued back into place. What sort of material should I be looking at? I need these ready for the new place.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1307
Looks like I need something to re-attach the woofer to the " speaker surround " which can come in repair kits like this.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Foam-Speaker-Surround-Repair-Kit-For-McIntosh-12_W0QQitemZ170 205161850QQihZ007QQcategoryZ3276QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Diamond Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12414

If nothing is damaged other than the cone separated from the surround, you only need the stuff in the little bottle in that picture. It's called glue or "cement" as in rubber cement or contact cement. And then you need to read the instructions on the bottle.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1308
Awesome, I knew I just needed the actual adhesive but wasn't sure what kind to get. I was reading that you should use special kinds if its polymer, compared to Kevlar or Paper cone? Is this true? I would think any sort of rubber contact cement would be fine. Thanks for the info Jan.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2596
Maybe you shouldn't repair them. It could be an excuse to upgrade, if you've been contemplating that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1309
lol Stu-I definitely contemplated it, until I told my wife...lol. We just bought a new home two weeks ago, our closing date is May 31st...two weeks before the wedding. I think she would kill me if I came home with a new pair of speakers right now.lol. Although I did see a used pair of PCM towers for 1400 on Canuck Audio Mart.lol.

Diamond Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12415

If you have any questions about a specific driver, call the manufacturer before you proceed.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 787
Give her a pair of MA's for a wedding present Nick.

She'll love you forever. Hee hee.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1310
"Give her a pair of MA's for a wedding present Nick.

She'll love you forever. Hee hee."

LOL David- can you say "early divorce"?lol They will be my speaker soon enough.(Hopefully)

"If you have any questions about a specific driver, call the manufacturer before you proceed"

Your right, after stopping at ALL the hi-fi shops last night, including talking to my dealer at his house last night, I have decided not to fix the woofer, but to replace it totally. The adhesive for speaker repair, no store carries as I found out last night. I spent two hours going to all the handy man stores, and hi fi shops. All the hi fi shops including my dealer said that, 99 percent of Adhesives are not flexible enough, shrink over time, and eat away at the surround of the woofer, damaging it even further. My dealer said he can get me a woofer replacement for my speaker for around 80 dollars but recommended me calling Paradigm and getting the exact serial number match of the woofer in my current speaker. Or at least they will know what the proper replacement should be. I will probably buy two of them, just for both speakers. I really like these speakers so fixing it to me is totally worth it. Even when the time comes to upgrade, I would still like to have these around for a second system.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9999
Nick you already know this, but for others...always replace in pairs!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 1311
Very good point Nuck. Talked to Fred P at Paradigm today who are just a few hours away from me, and he gave me the part number I needed, and told me to fix them because he still owns a pair of these exact speakers and loves them. We shot the s#!t for awhile and then I called my dealer up(who already talked to Paradigm for me and got the part I needed) and ordered two of them. My dealer said the other one will be going soon as well. They should be good to go in a few days. I talked to the guys at Anthem as well as I got them when I first called tech support. I guess Paradigm/Anthem are opening up a new factory/design building in Ottawa Ontario Nuck. Their hiring right now for all the Engineers and Testers and stuff. Their getting bigger.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 791
Paradigm in Ottawa... no sh!t Nick? That's cool!

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 792
I wonder if they're setting up shop here to use the NRC facilities?

Platinum Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1222
first stryvn, now you Nick.

BTW his happened twice, different issue though, but still Paradigms

Paradigm ALERT!

Paradigm ALERT!

Remove your covers, inspect your speakers.

Might be an epidemic breaking out....

Platinum Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1223
I noticed JV made Diamond and a few of us are now Platinum.

I also had my preferences wiped out between last night and today. I wonder if that is related. When that happens I only get posts from threads that I commented on. I need to go look at the forums to see what else I missed.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 1314
Yeah David- totally forgot you were just a stone throw away from me down in Ottawa. I am not totally sure their plans are, just not they are setting up shop right near you.lol.

Mike- lol My Speakers are 15 years old almost with original everything in them. lol. Stryvn's past issue on the other hand is very strange, and I am glad he got it fixed up.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 800
I believe that Paradigm and PSB have used the anechoic chambers at NRC to design their speakers. Part of the reason us Canucks are known for making good speakers, I suppose.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 1315
Yup, both PSB and Paradigm are both members of NRC. As well as a few others.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 805
I've actually worked a couple of contracts at the NRC. Never got to see the anechoic chambers, unfortunately.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 1317
Ive seen pictures.lol It looks really really cool.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1413
F^^^^CK!!! Well....I got in my woofer replacements. Wrong size. Called my dealer he said he would check into it. Turns out...that there is two versions of my speaker. I took the woofer out..traced it, and sent it down to Paradigm. Paradigm do NOT carry my woofer replacement anymore. Nobody does. Why? Because it is a 4.5 inch woofer??? WTF. Nobody has a 4.5 inch woofer. I mean noboby. So looks like new speakers all together is in order.

*Piss*

What my dealer carries is Paradigm, PSB, MOnitor Audio, Rega for speakers.

They will be mainly used with a .5b/3b Bryston pre/pro and a Rega Apollo cd player. Any ideas, out of those 4 speaker brands comes in as the best synergy match with Bryston? I am looking at Paradigm Studio, Monitor Audio RS, Rega or PSB(Don't know enough about the PSB model numbers)

Thanks in advance. I will be listening to some, but would still love the feedback. Cheers.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 871
MA and Bryston is kick-@ss combo (speaking from personal experience).

Have you considered Totem? I've heard the Totem/Bryston combo many times and it sounds really, really good.

Maybe a road trip to Ottawa is in order?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1415
hmmmmmm yeah perhaps Ill have to make one.lol Good point David. I have absolutely no experience with Totem what so ever.

Bronze Member
Username: Afj

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 57
i've got jbl's L890s. very clean and neutral speakers. brilliant lows and mids. the highs can be a tad harsh when playing it really loud but from what i read the bryston should sort that out. if you do get a chance check them out. and let me know. i've compared them to a few in the similar price range but not to the ones you've put in there

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 696
Nick...the glue repair can't hurt, can it? I mean, give it a shot and see what shakes out. What have you got to lose?

Sure new speakers sounds like fun, but you clearly love the 100's you have there.

I recently put a pair of 25 year old Cerwin Vega D-7's back together with replacement foam surrounds and glue. My 8 year old kid is enjoying them now.

My Paradigm problems have been resolved, by the way.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1416
Stryvn, I guess I could buy a kit and just use the Adhesive. The problem is nobody has 4.5inch Replacement kits. Is it possible to re-use the foam surround off the original speaker since its not damaged in any way and still partially attached? I was told by Paradigm that I have to get the perfect adhesive or it will further damage the speaker. Let me know. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 697
Got a picture, Nick?

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 16258
Good site to bookmark:

www.speakerworks.com

I've repaired surrounds myself using parts from them.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2688
Nick,

The speaker brands you mentioned are pretty good. But you really should get out and hear some stuff you haven't heard before. If you haven't heard Totems, you should make it a point to haer them before you buy anything. They're that good IMO. Audio Physic get very little mention here, but they're equally as good. A few others are Dynaudio, PMC, and ATC.

Keep in mind that these speakers aren't as safe as the Paradigms, PSBs, and so on. They take some risks that the others don't. They're more polarizing, but in the right systems they can be amazing. In the wrong systems they'll sound awful. The speakers you mentioned won't sound as good or as bad, depending on the system, hence my calling them safe.

BTW, the Audio Physics, Dyns, Totems, PMCs, and ATCs all sound phenominal with Bryston. It depends on what you're priorities are in determining what's best.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1440
Stu- Went to my dealer yesterday and took my Bryston and Rega. He had a Bryston pre amp there I used in substitute of mine since I wont have it until this Monday. I listened to Monitor Audio, Paradigm Studio line and Signature line, and Dyn Audio. I purchased the Monitor Audio RS6's. For the price they sound fantastic. And were a very good match with Bryston IMO. I just got done hooking them up now and they sound much more detailed than the Paradigms. Im going to go back and listen to some more stuff. Can't wait til my Pre amp gets here Monday. BTW I sold my Paradigms for 100 dollars MORE than I paid for them 2 years ago.lol Cheers.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 880
Congrats Nick! I had the same experience moving from Paradigm to MA.

The RS6's are a good choice. Which finish did you get?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1441
I had the choice of getting the Rose Nut or the Beech and picked the Rose Nut. My good ol' buddy of a dealer let me have a sealed, new pair for 1000 dollars taxes in.lol good deal for sure.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 881
That's the finish I have as well. It's the nicest one, in my opinion.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1444
Yup, I think so too, and so did the wife which of course is all that matters.lol She absolutely loves them, looks and sound.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10105
Nick, THAT should go in an ad for the speakers!

Congrats.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1451
lol Indeed it should Nuck. Thanks man.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us