Best Stereo Receiver Under $250

Username: Mark_of_cenla

Plaucheville, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1
Hi! This is my first post on this forum. Please forgive if this question has been asked before. I need a stereo receiver (no surround sound necessary). I have 4ohm speakers (Boston Acoustics T1000's). The most I can spend is $250. Which one is the best in your humble opinion? An integrated amp would be OK too. Thanks.

Post Number: 10
What? No one is going to tell me that all those Sony, JVC, Pioneer, etc. are all terrible sounding? Hasn't anyone heard the Onkyo or Denon in this price range? This is for a bedroom system with small speakers. I can't beleive that no one has a opinion on this. Peace.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 236
For 4 ohm speakers there is one good option and it's the NAD C320Bee. I dont know if it's out of budjet, but even if it is you should consider it. You could try to find a refurb or 2nd hand unit.

Most Sony, JVC, Pioneer, Yamaha amps are not so capable of driving under 4 ohm loads, so if you want to get one you should try it first for awhile.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Any receiver that can play two pairs of 8 ohm speakers can play one pair of 4 ohm speakers. Peace.

Username: Threeheaddog

Post Number: 5
I like HK avr-125
for bedroom is slick.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 249
Mark, also any receiver can play any 8 ohm speakers, but there is still difference in how well they do it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I was an audio/video salesman during most of the 80s at a local specialty shop in New Orleans. Then I became the service manager. Most receivers that have hookups for two pairs of speakers connect them in parallel. When two 8 ohm speakers are connected in parallel, the impedance drops to 4 ohms.

All that aside, you are correct that there are differences in the sound quality. Peace.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us