Can't get DTS on NAD 743!!!

Username: Jaycee64

Post Number: 1
For some reason, I can't get my NAD 743 to play a DVD in DTS mode. No matter what I do, it defaults to Dolby. There is also no way to automatically chose DTS or Dolby. Any help is appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 334
You have to select DTS on the DVD player's menu first providing the disc has the option.

Post Number: 3
I did select DTS 5.1 through the disc menu but the 743 still defaulted to Dolby. The DVD player does not have a DTS decoder but it advertises a digital out for an external DTS decoder. Any other ideas? Thanks

Theater Moose
Unregistered guest
NAD has some sort of deal with Dolby Digital. I have heard that they provide a lot of equipment for testing, which appears to result in a preference for Dolby Digital on their equipment. I have the NAD T532 DVD player. You have to select Digital Bit Stream in the DVD menu, as opposed to Dolby Digital, to pass through a DTS signal. With the DVD Player set in Digital Bit Stream, the DVD player will also pass through Dolby Digital. Strange, huh?

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1291
JC,

My Rantz is right - you have to select "Stream" or "Dolby Digital/Stream" in "digital audio out" settings/preferences on your DVD player. That tells the player which sort of signal to send to the receiver. If the receiver is not getting that, it can't invent it. Your T743 will do DTS just fine: you will notice the difference.

It is not strange, TM: Dolby Digital is the default value: most people have it, and just get confused if given other options. On an NAD player you can eliminate Dolby Digital altogether if you select "PCM Stream". You would not be able to do that if there were some secret deal on formats.

Theater Moose
Unregistered guest
Listen, I'm a big fan of NAD. I have a T763 that works great. But the setup of the T532 DVD player is a bit odd. It's one of a few high end players that does not have a DTS Decoder:

Digital Bit Stream = Dolby Digital & DTS Pass Through

Dolby Digital = Dolby Digital Decoder for Analog Outs and Dolby Digital Pass Through.

If your Receiver has a DD and DTS decoder, there is no need for the Dolby Digital setting on the DVD Player, you just set it to Bit Stream.

Post Number: 4
I took all of the advice and I still can't get DTs, only Dolby??? HELP!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 335
JC

Is the DVD you are inserting encoded with DTS as a surround option? If so, how have you connected the audio from the DVD player to your receiver?

Post Number: 5
The DVD, Master & Commander is encoded with DTS and I indicated in the DVD's menu that I want DTS 5.1. The DVD player is connected via the digital output receptacle with a coaxial cable to the digital in receptacle on the 743. It's not making any sense. I also recently started having freeze up and nonresponsive problems with the 3 week old 743. I wonder if it's all connected - a bad unit maybe? Gee, what are the odds?

Bronze Member
Username: Smitty

Canada

Post Number: 91
What DVD player are you using?

Silver Member

Post Number: 338
JC

Okay, it seems you are doing everything right. I don't have a NAD (have you consigned the digital input to DVD?) But it seems it may be your NAD. You could try using your DVD player on someone else's receiver (or your dealers) to verify it's not that at fault. The NAD sounds like it should be replaced after only 3 weeks. (see "NAD - to be or not to be" on this thread)

Post Number: 6
I'm using a JVC 60SBK which has a Dolby digital decoder and a DTS output to send the signal to the decoder.
The freeze up problems are as follows:
- Unit shut off and did not respond to the remote but the speakers played the radio.
- Unit froze while settinh up radio presets.
- Unit would not turn on - had to reboot
Every time there was a problem, I had to reboot.
Bad karma? Exchange it for a new one or buy a different receiver?
Thanks for all your help, everyone

Silver Member
Username: Dmeister

Post Number: 113
From what I understand from your post, I doubt it's the receiver. If the receiver is playing a soundtrack using Dolby Digital decoding, which I assume it is since you say that it is defaulting to Dolby Digital when you play your movie, I doubt it is actually getting a DTS soundtrack (Dolby decoding doesn't work with a DTS signal).

If, in fact, you have set your DVD player output properly, ensure that you have selected the correct soundtrack while playing the actual DVD. Movies with DTS soundtracks will generally also have a DD soundtrack. You may very well need to access the "languages" or "audio" menu of the DVD to select the DTS soundtrack.

Post Number: 7
I went into the setup in the movie itself and selected DTS 5.1. Everything appears to be setup to play in DTS except the receiver defaults to Dolby no matter what I do. I called NAD on Tuesday and I'm still waiting to hear from them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 340
In the DVD setup menu, what have you got the streaming data set to - bitstream, pcm or raw.
Try the raw setting.

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
Everything appears to be setup to play in DTS except the receiver defaults to Dolby no matter what I do.

Are you actually getting surround sound when the receiver does this?

Post Number: 8
Myrantz, what is the raw setting? I tried all settings. PCM, Dolby/PCM and PCM/Stream.
Dmeister, I'm getting Dolby 5.1 in full surround. It sounds great but I'm perplexed as to why I can't get DTS no matter what. Maybe I should try a different DVD although there aren't many in DTS.

Silver Member

Post Number: 341
Okay, my dvd player (Luxman) has pcm, bitstream and 'raw' setting which seems the only one for the digital connection to my SR-7300 to process both DD and DTS. I thought it was worth a try.

Post Number: 9
On my player , the equivelant is Dolby/PCM I guess

Silver Member

Post Number: 343
I would suggest trying pcm/stream for the the DD and DTS decoders in the T743. But, if you've tried them all I have no other suggestions other than either the player or receiver is faulty. As I said previously, try the player on some other receiver to determine which one is at fault. Good Luck!

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
Yes, I'm still confused as to how your receiver is decoding an actual DTS signal using Dolby Digital... I still suspect that it may, in fact, be getting a Dolby Digital signal, not a DTS signal.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Is it actually receiving a DTS signal? Do I need a DVD player with a DTS decoder?

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
Is it actually receiving a DTS signal? Do I need a DVD player with a DTS decoder

No, the 743 has a DTS decoder, which I just used while watching Hannibal as a matter of fact.

What you need is:
1. A digital connection from the DVD player to the receiver (coax or optical)
2. A DVD player that supports DTS (it doesn't have to decode it, just output it); most players made over the past few years support DTS.
3. A DVD with a DTS soundtrack.

Set the DVD player to output PCM/Bitstream or your brand's equivalent (if Dolby Digital appears in the menu option, it's probably the wrong option).

Ensure that you have set the digital input for your DVD source on the receiver. If you are getting any sound at all from a DVD with your digital connection, it is probably already set.

Select the DTS soundtrack from the "languages" or "audio" menu of the DVD before playing it. Once you start the movie, the receiver should automatically detect and decode the DTS signal. With the 743, "DTS" will appear on the display.

Not much else to it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
post-scriptum,

I say that "most players support DTS," because in almost ten years I have never actually seen one that doesn't support it, though I never discount possibilities. ;-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Dmeister,
Thanks for the play by play. Everything you wrote is what I did. I will get a hold of another DVD with DTS and try it out. We'll see from there.
Thanks for your help

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1300
JC,

You wrote "I'm using a JVC 60SBK which has a Dolby digital decoder and a DTS output to send the signal to the decoder". On the receiver, try "PCM" or "stream" only. That will allow it to understand DTS and LPCM digital inputs, but it will ignore Dolby Digital.

If the player has a DTS decoder, then its output will be analogue, same as using the DD decoder, and you will get that through the "Ext 5.1/7.1" input on the receiver
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us