Running multiple speaker sets, some in stereo and some in mono?

Flighter
Unregistered guest
I would like to run six sets (pairs) of speakers through a Niles brand 6-speaker selector switch powered from my Onkyo TX-DS 747 receiver. Four of the sets would be permanently running in stereo mode and placed in large rooms. Two sets would be running in mono mode so that I can place single speakers in smaller rooms. Five of the speaker sets are 8-ohm, and one set is 4-ohm. Of the two sets that would be running in mono mode, one is an 8-ohm pair and one set is a 4-ohm pair. I plan to set the Nile selector switch protection circuit on permanently. Is there a commercially available stereo/mono switch or a do-it-yourself way to wire up the two sets that I want to run in mono mode? Is there a book or Web site that can diagram this out for me? Or is it even advisable to do (or not do) this at all?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
You need a stereo to mono transformer. They are usually available from a store/company that does commercial sound reinforcement. An electronic supply house will also be able to help you if there is one nearby. You really should be looking at something other than the Niles switch box if you intend to run all speakers at the same time. If only three pair will be on at any one time the Niles will work. Otherwise you are risking possible problems with your reciever.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us