TT value?

Username: Steve83

Memphis, TN USA

Post Number: 2
I recently bought a really nice Kenwood KD-77F (yeah, I know it's not a high-end TT) on eBay & paid for $300 shipping insurance. Good thing, too: USPS broke it! The platter was off the motor, the cartridge was broken off the tonearm, & there's a 3" hole in the dust cover. Here are some pics.

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/6396/63379

Now I have to submit some documentation on the "value" (not price) to support my claim, but where can I find some numbers to tell them? No one sells that model (of course), and I don't know where to find an original retail price or current value. Is there ANY way of supporting my claim for the full $300?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9966
Steve, claim what you paid.You have a receipt for that.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12400

http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl

http://www.orionbluebook.com/

Username: Steve83

Memphis, TN USA

Post Number: 3
What I paid is NOT the replacement value, which is what insurance is for. MSRP was $250 back in 1989 according to UsedPrice.com , and since USPS is gonna have a HARD time providing me with a replacement or getting this one repaired for $250, I think I'm justified in receiving all $300 that I insured it for. I just have to convince THEM of that...

Gold Member

Post Number: 9973
Hey, if ya want to make money, all the best.
I will see you the first week of May, down on Beale St.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2592
"I think I'm justified in receiving all $300 that I insured it for."

If for some reason they don't want to give you the $300 that its insured for, then why did they accept the money you gave them to insure it?

Regardless of what they think its worth, they insured it for $300. You paid for $300 of insurance, not whatever they feel like giving you. If they weren't willing to pay out on the insurance amount, they shouldn't have insured it and taken payment to insure it for that amount.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9977
If you obtain a written repair estimate, they would have to pay up to 300$ of it.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12402

"I recently bought a really nice Kenwood KD-77F (yeah, I know it's not a high-end TT) on eBay & paid for $300 shipping insurance."

I don't know how they ask the question where you live, but when I ship something I buy insurance for "up to" an estimated value. Nothing says I'm going to get that amount if the product shipped doesn't equal that value. If I buy $700 worth of insurance for a $250 item, the shipper is under no obligation to reimburse me the extra $450. That would be a nice scheme for quick cash since the shipper takes your word the product being shipped is in good condition when you hand it to them, but I doubt it would be seen as anything other than fraud by a court. There is a degree of trust that is understood by both parties - they believe you are shipping an undamaged item and you are buying no more insurance than required. If you have a receipt that shows the item shipped cost more than the original purchase value, then you can argue that fact. If they refuse to pay more than original value, discuss inflationary increases and demand they cover those values. If all else fails, settle for them buying you an exact duplicate of your (undamaged) table.

Otherwise, this seems like a lot of work for $50 difference.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us