Naim CD5i - DIN vs RCA

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1874
This may not be a fair comparison in some ways.

The cables are Gryphon DIN to RCA costing $27.00AUD and Merlin Verdi RCA's costing around $250.00AUD.

I played the following tracks:

Sierra - Boz Scaggs
Snowbound - Donald Fagan
Roots, Rock, Reggae - Bob Marley
'S Wonderful - Diana Krall

Careful to switch between DIN and RCA on the CD5i (and not both simultaneously) when playing these tracks the most astonishing thing that struck me was that I could detect . . .

. . . absolutely no difference.

I switched time and time again on each track with the same result. Both cables sounded great in all areas yet somehow I just preferred the Merlins. Don't ask me why - a subliminal thing or psychological as they are the expensive ones).

So - is the DIN socket better because it made the cheap cables perform like the Merlin RCA's or are the cheap cables as good as the Merlins. I really hope it's the former.

I wasn't expecting this result - I thought at least there'd be differences for better or worse.

Maybe I shoud try the DIN connector Frank linked us to on another thread.

Bronze Member
Username: Lamcam

Stanton, Ca Usa

Post Number: 59
I am waiting to receive the connector that Frank recommended to try out with my RCA IC. I recommend you do not buy it yet, let me try and let you know.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1875
Have already ordered it Loc, whatever you hear may differ from me because of different cables. So it'll be interesting to see what we both hear.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9919
Yes it will be interesting indeed.

Bronze Member
Username: James_lehmann

Post Number: 59
I would have though the advantage of using the DIN output is almost entirely negated by converting to RCA anyway as it involves splitting what would otherwise be a common ground (as intended for a DIN-DIN all-Naim set-up) and changing the electrical characteristics of the signal.

Please note I have not tested this - I'm sure someone like Frank has and can either dispel of confirm my postulate.

Bronze Member

Stanton, Ca Usa

Post Number: 60
That's what I thought before...anyway, I will try.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2807
OK...

Don't laugh...

Honest...

In the shop we often use the Mayware adaptor with some unbelievably expensive cables such as Chord indigo (£1000 a pop). We have done quite a bit of testing with Mayware versus RCAs on Naim kit. It always sounds a mite better in the DIN connection. We're not talking chalk and cheese of course, but there's a definite improvement via the DIN connection - even though the Mayware is $10 and the cable connecting it is nigh on $2000!

We did loads of testing with early Indigos with the CD555 and verified that the Mayware option is slightly better, enough for us to order a DIN-clad Indigo. We continue to use the Indigo between phono stage and into Naim preamps. These also have RCA and DIN options and we always use the Mayware on the preamp side. It just seems more stable.

Yes, we are insane...

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1880
Well, the DIN/RCA adaptor gave results where the cheap RCA/DIN interconnects did not.

And for the better. The notes, both with instruments and vocals seem to have more sustain. There's a little more detail in the higher registers I feel. Also, the CD5i now digs a little deeper for bass and the soundstage seems a bit more open and airy. It may not be a jaw-dropping improvement, but certainly a worthwhile one nevertheless.

I hope my description explains the difference as I do find it difficult to articulate what I hear.

Anyway, thanks Frank for the info.

Bronze Member

Stanton, Ca Usa

Post Number: 61
The result from me is the same from MR. The adaptor made the sound better, but not much. Still, it made me happy. Thanks Frank.
Also, just wonder should I replace the stock power cord for the CDP?

Platinum Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2818
You're welcome guys.

loc, the Naim power cable looks really basic but it has been tested for years against possible other solutions, both by Naim and by dealers (in a desperate bid to get people to buy extra stuff). Generally we're all agreed with a few exceptions that until recently the only power cable to use was Naim's original. It may not have the resolution of other cables, and it may not have the extra soundstaging, but generally it is more engaging.

After many years of people searching for a better alternative, Naim are in the process of introducing a VERY expensive power cable called the Powerline. I've heard it and it improves the Naim presentation while maintaining that presentation without any detractions. BUT, it's very expensive ($800) and quite frankly I'm not convinced that it's worth it on a CD5i (although I reserve the right to change my mind when I've heard it some more on a CD5i).

Personally I think you should just enjoy what you've got, or buy some more CDs. :-)

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Stanton, Ca Usa

Post Number: 62
Frank,
I agreed with you on the power cord. I tried a different PC on the CD5i, the sound was louder, but...hard for me to explain, I still like the original one better. You are right, I am not going to spend $800 for the upscale PC from Naim.
thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9993
Buy more music...always a good conclusion.
Nuck must listen more...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us