Speaker under 400USD for Onkio 805

Username: Duong_daniel

Singapore

Post Number: 8
I just bought an Onkio 805, I am looking for a spair of speaker, mainly for music. I saw Bose 301 is quite okie, about 300USD and Polk RTi A7, 500USD at Fry. Is there any better suggestion? I somehow prefer a bookshelf one, please advice a good one.
Thank you.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 182
Are those your only options ? Without knowing anything about what you are looking for, those wouldn't be two I'd recommend....especially the Bose. What other brands are available to you ?

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1087
I am not at all a Bose fan, but if you really like the sound of the 301, go for it :-) You can do far worse (sony, technics, and klh come to mind) on a pair of speakers.

Bose are horribly overpriced, but you are the one that have to listen to them.

IMHO, the 240ish Paradigm Atom will outperform both of those speakers in the quality department.

Gold Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1147
I would note that the Polk is 500 apiece, not per pair.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9933
I hate priced per piece.
What happens if you go and buy just one?
Can you?

Gold Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1148
Can't say I've tried, though if they're boxed individually, I doubt they would mind.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1088
oops... misread that...

the Rti series were decent speakers if memory serves me correctly. I haven't heard them in some timee

for some reason I was thinking of the polk monitor 70, which is a large, inexpensive tower that I have yet to like in any system that I hear it in.

Username: Duong_daniel

Singapore

Post Number: 9
Thanks all! But my budget is about <500USD. I don't know which speaker is better. Please advice the model as well as where can I purchase. I listen to mostly pop and jazz. Thanks in advance.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1089
see if you can audition some quality speakers from a audio only dealer, such as the Paradigm Atom or the discontinued B&W DM303. These will both outperform the Bose by a wide margin.

I was listening to the 303 at my dealer, and was very surprised by the performance. Here is a review.

http://www.avrev.com/equip/b&wdm303/

Bronze Member
Username: Boulderdashcci

Canton, Mass USA

Post Number: 20
Another vote for the Paradigms, listen to all 3 of the Monitor bookshelfs (Atom, Mini, and Titan). If I remember correctly, all 3 are sub-$500. I enjoyed the Titan most of the three but the Atom was a great speaker, especially for the price. All three have great bass work well without a sub, too.

Check their site, they have a dealer locater.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 788
Paradigm Monitor v5. I have a pair... great value for the price. They sound much, much bigger than they actually are.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 789
oops. I meant Paradigm Atom v5...

Platinum Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1312
I use to own a Pair of Atom V4's, great little speaker for the size and buck. And the V5's are even better. Price to Performance they are very very very good.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 793
The v5s are a fair bit larger than the v4s if I recall correctly.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us