Please advise on new reciever

Username: Lc130

Post Number: 1
Folks

I have a much loved 28 year old Phillips 7831 receiver. Alas it's giving up and I need a knew one. Over the last few years I've tried to replace it but nothing beats it's sound.

It's driving 8 ohm Boston Accoustic CR-8 book shelf speakers.

I generally listen to classical at low volume.

Any ideas???

Thanks

Charlie

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9923
Charlie, so you need the radio part?
I just had to ask that, before suggesting an integrated amp/tuner.

Post Number: 2
No I don't need the radio part. I intend to plug in my car's XM receiver.

From what I read, if I don't by a receiver than I would need both an amp and pre-amp.

I'm flying blind here. Any ideas?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2810
Charlie,

An integrated amplifier is one which includes both preamp and power amp in one box. A receiver is an integrated amplifier that includes a tuner (radio).

What you choose to buy does rather depend on what your budget is and whyat level of quality you're after. Either way, be prepared for quite a change in presentation. 28 year old equipment will have a warmer, more relaxed presentation (the younger among us might call it 'pipe and slippers') to the typical amplifier of today.

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 3
Frank

Do you mean that the 28 yo Phillips will sound better?? I was thinking of a NAD BE325. Any thoughts??

Best
Charlie

Platinum Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2814
Charlie,

Sorry about the wait.

No, what I'm saying is that modern HiFi goes in for a very clean sounding presentation. This may be quite different to what you're used to. Now I don't know about you, but whenever I'm moved out of my comfort zone like that it takes me a while to confront it objectively and figure out if it's something I like or dislike. It's not necessarily better or worse, just different.

Of course if your 28yo Philips was a real cracker, then it's perfectly possible that a NAD C325BEE isn't as good since it's a relatively inexpensive model in the gramd scheme of things. It's excellent value for money of corse since it offers much for the cash, but if you don't like the presentation, it doesn't matter how good it is...

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 4
Frank

Thankyou for your reply. What would you recommend, if anything, that could surpass the Phillips.

My only reason for an upgrade is that one channel fades in and out until fully warmed up and I'd like to be able to plug in an ipod or XM radio on occasion.

Thanks

Charlie

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2830
Charlie,

The NAD C325BEE is an excellent choice at its price point. Another brand to look out for would be Cambridge Audio. Well specified entry level kit which garners a lot of good press.
My point was merely to warn you not to expect too much given how used to the Philips you are, and how the Philips will have aged and become a little mellower over time. Don't get me wrong - you could be completely thrilled to bits with the NAD for all I know!

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us