Just bought Bryston

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 763
After the fiasco with Emotiva (and getting my money back) I did a lot of shopping around, and listening.

Almost ordered some more gear from Outlaw, but I visited my local dealer and he showed me some floor model Bryston Monoblocks he highly recommended.

I took them home for a "borrow" to see if I liked them. I'm keeping them.

The slam on these things is freaking unbelievable. Started them off with some Exodus to see how they handle attack and crunch. Yup... good. Now I'm listening to some Tragically Hip.

I'm going to have to turn my subs down because my little MA's are cranking so much bass.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1873
Congrats David - sounds like it was meant to be. Enjoy!

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 764
Thanks M.R. Perhaps it was meant to be. I was really, really hesitant to buy them cause I knew nothing about them (besides them being Bryston). I usually research things obsessively before I buy them. I couldn't really go wrong, though, since I could just bring them back if I didn't like them.

Silver Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 226
Yup, congrats man. I'd imagine they'll be a bit better overall than the Emotiva you almost got. Enjoy the music.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 766
Thanks Marc, I took some photos tonight. I'll post 'em once I download them.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 180
Wicked DM ! I hope you enjoy the new acquisitions.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2576
David,

I'm glad everything worked out in the end. Which monos did you get? How much warantee is left? Chances are they have more than the Emotiva had.

I've been extremely happy with my B60 and have absolutely no regrets. I'm sure you'll feel the same way.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 771
Hey Stu,

I bought 2 PowerPac 120's. The warranty starts today - so I have 20 years. That was obviously a major selling point.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2577
Bryston's 20 year warantee doesn't start on the purchase date, it starts on the Maunfacture date. There should be a 4 digit date code stamped on the back. Mine reads 3299, meaning 32nd week of 1999. The warantee ends on the 32nd week of 2019. The first two numbers are the week, the last two are the year.

Also, make sure you keep your sales receipt. Bryston's policy is anything made after 2/06 also needs to have a copy of the sales receipt from an authorized dealer.

Not to sound the wrong way, but your dealer should have been clear about this.

http://www.bryston.ca/warranty.html

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2578
"I'm going to have to turn my subs down because my little MA's are cranking so much bass."

Its amazing what some clean and honest amplification can get speakers to do.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 772
That's a good point about the warranty, Stu. I asked the dealer about that and he said it would be from date of purchase. Not sure if he didn't know better or was just telling me what I wanted to hear. Anyway, the date on the bottom of them is 04 06.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6591
Awesome David...congrats and enjoy!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9917
Wow, David, that was quick!

I hope you enjoy and decide how to mount/display them, have some nifty looking cables and so on.

Have fun!

Gold Member

Post Number: 9918
http://www.bryston.ca/reviews/pp120/sp120.html

Silver Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 223
I am wondering how you have them set up. Are they meant to be laid flat or something else?

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 773
According to the Bryston website, they can't be oriented pretty much any way that suits your setup. They have mounting brackets so that you can attach them to the back of your speakers (like I'm drilling holes in my MA's...), on the wall, lay them flat on the floor, stand them up, etc, etc.

I have them sitting side by each on a shelf in my audio rack for now. They're supposed to be close the speaker they're driving in order to use the shortest speaker cable run possible.

But since I have a baby girl who's crawling now, I can't have them on the floor.

I've had them running all morning and they're not even warm to the touch, I guess thanks the crazy heat sinks on them.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 774
Hey Nuck - to answer your question about the cables... I have a pair of nice, green AudioQuest cables feeding the amps.

The monoblocks look all business, almost retro looking. Very cool.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1298
Rock on David, great purchase. Those mono blocks would absolutely slam anything Emotiva ever thought of making and they come with Bryston's great service to boot. Great buy, and enjoy.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2806
David,

Congratulations on your purchase! Nice long warranty, bulletproof construction, excellent sonics. Have fun...a lot of fun! :-)

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 775
I am having fun with them. Makes my music collection sound entirely different. The difference between these and my NADs is pretty remarkable. Even my wife noticed the difference right away.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9926
And that says a lot for the product, moreso about your lovely wife.

Bronze Member
Username: Betamax

Canada

Post Number: 25
Glad to hear they're working out so well for you. I'm also looking for some Bryston gear to replace my NAD 162/272.

Nothing wrong with NAD, just have a bit more cash right now (tax refund) and looking to buy something better for a lot more money.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9935
Frank, you will get a big rebate on selling the Nad kit to some deserving person who live live with and enjoy it for a long time.
now THATS a refund!
Then step up, cause you got the bug.

Sometimes I think I should build a time machine out of used pinball machine parts and get the Mac tube amps that Jan has.

In 1964 prices, of course.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 777
Frank, the difference between NAD and Bryston sound is remarkable.

The Brystons sound clear, punchy and have tons of slam.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 778
Finally got around to downloading the photos from my camera...Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 9950
They sure are funky!
Now to run them balanced, bud.
Have fun!

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 26
Nuck, I defintely have been bitten again by the bug. Fortunately, my wife keeps me in check...I could get into trouble otherwise.

David, glad to hear of the difference. I'm going to audition various Bryston gear at a dealer, but I'm in no hurry and I'll look for used/demo gear.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 780
I really thought I couldn't afford to own Bryston until I found these nifty little monoblocks tucked away in an HT room of my dealer.

Pays to wait and look around for sure.

Bronze Member
Username: Snapcat

Post Number: 36
Great find David!
Thanks for sharing and the pics

Platinum Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2817
Hey David - are those monoblocks dual purpose? Looks like you could toast some bread there... :-)

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 790
Ha! Unfortunately (or fortunately?) they don't hot enough to toast...

I've played them for hours on end, and they barely even get warm to the touch.

Bronze Member
Username: Hk_fan

Post Number: 12
I am glad to know about this. Can anyone please tell me about Bryston 7BSST? How are they? What speakers suit them? I currently have a MA RS6.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 796
I'm running my Brystons through MA RS6. I used to think they sounded a tad bright when running NAD through them, but now they sound deep and warm.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 797
OK, that sounded kinda bad.

Never mind.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
lol, never mind DM, useful info tho.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Stupid question as it may be, what does SST stand for in 7B sst?

Platinum Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2599
ST is one of their designers' initials. SST, I believe is Super and his initials. An earlier version was ST, and SST is the newer line.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Thanks Stu.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
"I'm running my Brystons through MA RS6. I used to think they sounded a tad bright when running NAD through them, but now they sound deep and warm."

That surprised me. I've been thinking Brystons would be analytical and lean compared to the NADs... tell me more please.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 808
It's hard to describe, but my major complaint with the NADs was that they had grainy sound. The Brystons are very clear (but with much more bass than the NADs). They are very neutral sounding to me, almost like I'm hearing the music now instead of hearing the gear.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1326
I never had the same findings with my C272 as David. Probably a mixture of different gear or something. The Bryston amps are definitely cleaner, clearer and tighter bass though.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 810
Some of it may have to do with the fact that my pre-amp is a Pioneer surround receiver - not the best source. But at least with the Brystons now I have absolutely no complaints.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1327
Thats awesome, nothing wrong with Pioneer at all, perhaps its just a synergy match with NAD. Either way, the Brystons will make any system sound better over a NAD amp. Those mono blocks look sweet too.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 811
They have almost a retro look to them. My wife's first comment was "those are ugly". But then I hooked 'em up and put on her favourite CD. Then she said "those actually sound really good".

Gold Member

Post Number: 1328
lol yup. Brystons stuff has never really been overly appealing in the looks department. But once they are heard that is quickly forgotten. Its hard to build amps that are build to last a lifetime and make them look pretty at the same time.lol.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
It's good to hear this comparison with NAD. I need to listen to more stuff.

This definitely broadens my thoughts a bit.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 817
There's no comparison.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2605
My feelings exactly, going from NAD to Bryston myself.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1332
Indeed a different class all together.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2610
"Brystons stuff has never really been overly appealing in the looks department."

How appealing is this? I came across this pic on Audiocircle when I asked if anyone has any internal pics of their B60

Upload

True dual mono and oversized power supplies, and short pathways. Everything you need for some great music reproduction, and nothing you don't. True beauty comes from within.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
Yeah, that's beauty.

I've been pondering the path up towards a MF A5 integrated. I liked the comments about it's bass power, smoothness and less grain... a few comments about it being uninvolving have made me hold back (that and cash). These posts and the shoot-out posts by Nick K, Stu's story about getting the B60.... man I gotta rethink this thing.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1336
lol never judge a book by its cover. Look at the capacitors they use. Wowsers. That is some good engineering right there. Its too bad we can't think of our wives this way.lol Kidding kidding of course.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 819
Thanks for the pic Stu. You wouldn't happen to have any internal pics of some Bryston monoblocks kickin around, would ya?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2843
Nick,

There's loads wrong with a Pioneer surround sound receiver as a preamp...! :-) (Sorry Stuie!)

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2615
No apology needed Frank. I somehow missed that David is using a Pioneer AVR.

David and everyone else, you haven't truly heard the gear until you've heard it with an equally good preamp. Preamps are all to often the most overlooked and under-rated components in a system IMO.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 821
It's on my list - someday. My goal down the road is to split my system, and have one dedicated to HT, and another dedicated to 2-channel - and use a really good preamp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1339
Im with you David. Now that I will have a new home with lots of room, I am planning on doing that.

Frank-yeah your right, as to using my NADT763 as a pre amp at the moment as well. But after A/B'n an H/K 635 to the NAD as a pre amp, I realised just how bad some receivers really are at Music, and how well the 763 actually does for a AVR for two channel. But still....

Stu- What I have planned now that I have my replacement woofers is get a Bryston Pre Amp, and then either a cheap pair of Paradigm Monitors for the fronts of the Home Theater and keep the Studio Monitor's for the music, or spend more money and upgrade the speakers to some MA's and keep the Studio Monitors for the Home Theater for that "Tear your face off" moments. Either way, my next purchase is a Bryston Pre Amp.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10024
I used a HK surround receiver as a pre for a while, with a Rotel rb985 amp.
It worked really well...in straight through.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1893
I've been pondering the path up towards a MF A5 integrated. I liked the comments about it's bass power, smoothness and less grain... a few comments about it being uninvolving have made me hold back (that and cash).

Snapcat - test drive a MF A5 for yourself - "uninvolving" not in my opinion. Not by a long shot. The best component in my system - and would be in many a system imho. Sure others may differ - you know the story.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2617
You definitely have to hear the gear for yourself. Some people describe Bryston as dry and analytical. The only way I think they're justified in saying that is if the source is dry and analytical. To my ears it reproduces what its fed.

I'm not the biggest fan of Musical Fidelity. It is very well made and respectable. A lot of people love it. In the end, the only time anyone is wrong when debating preferences is when they don't have an open mind, and think their opinion is absolute.

I'd definitely listen to the Musical Fidelity gear before making a decision. Don't let anyone else's opinion make you dismiss something.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
For my combination and ears, the best parts of the NAD are the liquidy midrange with stage depth, and the weight/presence of the midbass that gives a feeling of a large presence. I don't want to lose that, I want more of that with more detail and better high freq's. I also have a Rotel 1095 amp and those NAD attributes are not in that amp (using the NAD as pre).

Yep, Stu..the bottom line is I have to go listen more... also to more bands.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1350
Snapcat, I too like those attributes that come with NAD. A lot of people don't like it, but I do, and its hard to beat for its price range. I also, have never heard a piece of Rotel gear that I find musical what so ever. Very detailed, but to my ears, just not musical. Bryston is in a whole other league though, and you would love it greatly. Cheers.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2848
David,

So lonog as your next preamp has a unity gain or bypass feature, you won't need to separate the two systems. You plug your stereo sources such as CD player and tuner into the stereo preamp and get the best 2-channel results that way. Then you use the pre-outs from your surround amp through the stereo preamp on its bypass input for surround sound.

In fact, even if you don't have bypass on the preamp all you need do is set the preamp to a predetermined high output (about halfway up the scale or maybe a bit more) every time you want to play a movie. Just remember to turn it back down afterwards or you could get a nasty shock when you next play a CD...

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 830
I already get that! When I watch TV I have to turn my receiver to around -25 db. When I listen to a CD on my Cambridge CDP a comfortable level is around -40 db. -25 scares the sh!t out of everyone in the living room.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2853
Cool - so they're already trained up for it then!

Username: Gilmeister62

California

Post Number: 8
Good for you for joining the Bryston club, David. Over the years Bryston has improved its sound to the point where it is exceedingly neutral, colorless and musical. Its tremendous damping factor gives it the unbelievable bass slam and control they're known for. Furthermore, Bryston's 20 year warranty is not only based on winning consumer confidence, but on Bryston's belief that it would cost too much to ship back and forth for repair. So, they build their equipment like mega tanks to last. And last and last.
An interesting story that I remember when working in the audio industry, typical Bryston: a rock group, either Metallica, AC/DC or Rush, I'm not sure anymore, was transporting Bryston pro amps to its next concert site when one of the amps fell onto the highway and was badly damaged. The amp was picked up...and continued to work. Wow. Maybe Bryston should get into the cell phone or laptop industry, eh?

California

Post Number: 9
20 year warranty...isn't that a generation, genealogically speaking?

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 840
Thanks for that post Gilbert - interesting story.

Here's something I've always wondered... what do professional musicians (like the guys from Metallica or Rush) use for their audio gear at home?

Obviously they know music, and they have unlimited financial resources. What would they choose?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10048
Audio systems of the rich and famous?

California

Post Number: 10
I know some use Bryston just because of their quality and bullet proof reliability. If the magazine still exists, take a look at Audio Video Interiors (online?), you'll find some set ups that you'll shake your head to. I worked for a short period for Bay Bloor Radio in Toronto when they first tried to sell high end audio, we had installed an early Luxman multi room system for Geddy Lee of Rush (may he rest in peace), TP-117, M-117, etc. As you know, Geddy was blind and whoops, our wiring was installed incorrectly! Geddy alerted us to the problem, and before our install guys got there, he had gotten behind the system and corrected the problem! Magical musician,
gracious gentleman.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 34
Why should Geddy Lee rest in peace? He's still among the quick, not the dead.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 841
That's what I thought...

Bronze Member

California

Post Number: 11
Oops. Mea Culpa.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2868
I believe Dave Gilmour uses a Naim system. There are a whole host of artists who use ATC and PMC based systems. There are others using Eclipse speakers. The list goes on and is as varied as recorded output...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1520
Frank- You wrote

"David,

So lonog as your next preamp has a unity gain or bypass feature, you won't need to separate the two systems. You plug your stereo sources such as CD player and tuner into the stereo preamp and get the best 2-channel results that way. Then you use the pre-outs from your surround amp through the stereo preamp on its bypass input for surround sound.

In fact, even if you don't have bypass on the preamp all you need do is set the preamp to a predetermined high output (about halfway up the scale or maybe a bit more) every time you want to play a movie. Just remember to turn it back down afterwards or you could get a nasty shock when you next play a CD..."

Can this be done with my .5b Bryston Pre Amp. I don't think it has a bypass mode. It has Cd/Aux, Phono, Tape In, Tape Out(With a tape button on the front), Tuner.

I have my Apollo hooked up to the CD connection. What could I run my Pre Out on the NAD to do what you said, if it can be done at all. Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us