Please recommend decent receiver for Fluance AVHTB+ speaker system

Username: Yabadabadoo

Bedfors, Mass USA

Post Number: 1
Hello:
I am a COMPLETE newbie to this "AV Receivers" world! I have never owned own before.
I have a 46" SONY BRAVIA LCD TV, Verizon FiOS HD Set top box, a Phillips 5140 DVD player and a PS3. I just ordered the Fluance AV HTB+ speaker system and I need your inputs on selecting a decent AV Receiver that would work well with my newly ordered speakers and a receiver I could connect ALL my components and BE HAPPY :-)!
My budget for the receiver is $200 max.

Thank you!

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 769
I run Fluance speakers in my secondary HT system in the basement (for the kids watching movies, me playing XBox...). I'm driving them with a lower end Yamaha surround receiver (HTR-6030, I think?). It sounds alright. As long as you don't expect jaw dropping sound it's pretty good. I think I paid around 200 bucks for it.

Bedfors, Mass USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks Dave, for your time and reply! I did some "research" and I have the following shortlisted:
Yamaha RX-V363BL
SONY DG520
Yamaha RX-V361BL

These were the good ones with HDMI capabilities.

What would you suggest?

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 770
Scratch the Sony. The Yamaha RX series are essentially the same as the HTR series, but are generally targeted towards shops other than the big box ones. A lot of people around here really like Harman Kardon for HT too. Check out:

http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/default.asp?cat=REC&sp='S','R'

Bedfors, Mass USA

Post Number: 3
I just ordered the Onkyo TX SR605 as I found a good deal in CC (341.99+taxes).

Is there a difference between the silver and the black models (apart from the color ofcourse)? The reason I am asking this is, the silver color model is on sale, but the black colored model is not!!

I live in an apartment with a living room 12x18, would this receiver and speaker setup be too loud?

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 782
Shouldn't be any difference between the two.

It'll only be too loud if you turn it up too loud ;-)

Bedfors, Mass USA

Post Number: 4
Yes, David, I understand! I felt really silly to ask those questions, but just couldn't resist :-)!

Just one more Q, I swear, does PS3(my Blu-Ray player) output True HD sound?

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1094
true HD sound?

the sound will be uncompressed, yes...

will you notice the difference on those speakers? possibly, but they aren't known for being really high end. Decent speakers, but don't expect them to sound like a $10,000 pair (doubt you would).

Reviews I have read state they are the real deal though, and not at all like the white van scam speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us