Need advise on speakers, please help

Mike Doring
I have a Yamaha RX-V3300 receiver mated with a HSU-VTR3 sub. I'm upgrading my front and center speakers for HT with rear to follow later. My room is 12x24. I've budgeted around $1500-2000 for this purpose.

Visits to the stores have only confused me more. Any recommendations would be most appreciated.

Anonymous
try the Polk LSI series

Hawk
No. The Polk LSi series are 4 ohm speakers and the Yamaha is not rated to handle 4 ohm speakers. This was confirmed by another poster a couple of weeks ago which e-mailed Polks technical dept. and got a list of 4 brands they recommended for the LSi speakers. Yamaha was not included. If you try to push the Yamaha with a low impedence speaker, you risk it overheating and shutting down--perhaps even damage to the receiver. The manufacturer specifies its operating envelope and you should not ignore it.

Mike, you have a real nice sub there and I think you should get real nice speakers to match. The budget you have set is good enough. Your Yamaha tends to be very bright sounding, so you will need a more laid back speaker that can smooth out the Yamaha's rough edges. You should go hear Paradigm speakers, which is a very accurate, smooth sounding speaker that would go well with your Yamaha and it also is of the same quality level as your sub. I could recommend certain models, but I think you should choose them based upon your room situation.

Thanks very much, Hawk, that's very helpful. As you can probably tell I'm a relative audio newbie but I do want a good system. All help is appreciated.

I will definitely check out the Paradigm line. I have auditioned some systems, including the Totem Acoustics Dreamcatcher and NHT SuboneI but somehow they didn't sound right to me.

Again thanks,

Mike

elitefan
I agree with Hawk that Paradigm is the best match with Yamaha. They are the only speaker line in my area that does sound good with Yamaha. The great thing about Paradigm is they make great speakers for every budget from the amazing $189 a pair Atom to the Studio100. You can't go wrong with any Paradigm.

Joong-In Rhee
You might want to chat on www.audioasylum.com
Those guys know audio. I would buy only after hearing many speakers. No need to rush and have to upgrade soon after. Hifichoice.co.uk has reviews well done. I personally liked monitor audio bronz speakers. Get some good cables under $100 as well. They do make a difference.

elitefan
The Monitors are very nice but not a good match with a Yamaha. Both are on the bright side and therefore a bad match. Stay with a mellower line.

Hawk
Agreed. Monitor Audio speakers are rather bright sounding and they need a more mellow amp to tame them (Pioneer Elite, H/K, etc.). Bad match for the rather bright sounding Yamaha.

don't overlook definitive technology speakers, they make both towers and monitors. Since you already have a sub you probably could go with the monitors, maybe the studio 350's or 450's with a smaller pair for the rear as they will image better and not look so over bearing in your room. They have several fine center channels to consider, that of course is the most important speaker in your ht set up. I think they are one of the best bargins and best bang for the buck out there.

mike doring
Having a little trouble getting in to see the only Paradigm dealer near me (DC) as they are always very busy but I'll continue to try to audition them.

I'll also check out Definitive Technology speakers.

I very much appreciate the help and opinions.

Hawk
Mike

Def Techs are another non-starter IMO. Again, you have a bright sounding receiver and adding bright sounding speakers is going to leave you pretty dissatisfied. The Def techs are fine HT speakers, but they are on the bright end of things, so a bad match for your Yamaha.

If your local Paradigm dealer doesn't have the time for you, also check out PSB speakers. I think they are very comparable to Paradigm in their sound and would compliment your Yamaha. You might also check out Boston Acoustics speakers (but not the BA's with the Lynnfield tweeter).

mike doring
Thanks, Hawk, will heed your advice.

Mike

Beau Andrews
I never considered def tech as bright, certainly compared to others,the new Studio's are a 3 way bookshelf with a passive side firing woofer. To me PSB always seemed bright with yamamha stuff, I also found yamaha to be a little bass light but not particularily bright, Paradigm is also very good, but I don't know why they always make the Stereophile Class A or B recommended components list, I guess advertising dollars speak louder than sound sometimes. Totem makes some nice home theater speakers also. When it comes down to it, each one of us has our own personal tastes, neither being right or wrong. You have very knowledgable people sharing ideas and yet we will never agree on the whats best. You also need to listen in your home because it all sounds different than the dealer. Room acoustics are very important. Bright may not be bright depending on the the layout, furniture, wall hangings and like. Buy because you like the sound, not because of big advertising budgets or reviews. Good luck in your search, just don't forget the best music reproduction is still 2 channel, but you can make a good compromise with many of the mfgs mentioned here.

Please Help, I bought 2 Theater Research tower speakers, the box they came in had a suggested retail price of $1,999.00 ea. Their rated at 400 watts and have the screw down jacks in the back. They weigh 60 pounds apiece. I bought these out of the back of a van from some electronic store in Cincinnati Ohio. I guess my question is Have you ever heard of these speakers and do you think I got a good deal paying $350.00 for the pair?

Anonymous
Larry, how about reading the other threads on these sh*t speakers. Go get your money back.

Rex
Hawk, have you had a chance to listen to the Boston Acoustics VR2 speakers?

They have the Lynnfield tweeters and they were amazing connected to a Denon A/V receiver. I went into the store ready to purchase a Yamaha RX-V2400, and the Paradigm Monitor 7 or Studio 60 speakers.

I compared the BA VR2, Paradigm Monitor 7, and Studio 60 speakers connected to a Denon A/V receiver. The Studio 60s were Version 2.

The Studio 60s were better then the Monitor 7, as they should. Both of the Paradigm speakers seemed be in a box compared to the VR2s. The VR2s sound stage jumped out at me and the speakers seem to disappear. That might be the tweeter. But it didn't seem overly bright or harsh. The VR2s had more base and a complete mid-range.

It looks like the VR2s are similar to the Axiom M60s in design and price. They are priced between the Paradigm Monitor 7 and Studio 60s.

I'm wondering how the VR2s will sound with a Yamaha RX-V2400.

Hawk
Rex:

I have not heard the VR2s--the local Boston dealer is very inconsistant and is staffed by total idiots. Too bad, because I have heard some other Bostons with the Lynnfield tweeter and I was very impressed! That tweeter is incredibly detailed and accurate, and makes for a wonderful soudstage, giving the speaker plenty of "air" (which I really like to hear in a speaker). It is a real challenge to come up with a tweeter with this much detail that isn't bright, and Boston has succeeded admirably.

However, I would be very wary of pairing the Bostons with the Yamaha receiver. Yamahas are bright sounding, with an elevated upper midrange (2-4Khz) and are designed that way because outside of the US, Yamaha sells a lot of Yamaha speakers to go with their receivers and their speakers need a little help in that area. This can present a problem when you choose a non-Yamaha speaker. The Bostons, while not exaggerated in the upper midrange, do have a lot of upper midrange info available and this can expose the upper midrange problem of the Yamaha receivers. While I have not heard this speaker with that particular receiver, I have heard Bostons with Yamahas and it isn't a good pairing, IMO.

For the price range you are considering, I would strongly suggest a Marantz 7300 as a better receiver for the Bostons. Smoother, yet just as detailed as the Yamaha, it will pair well with that Lynnfield tweeter.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us