Looking for a cartridge recommendation, please

Username: Menthol22

Post Number: 1
Hi, I just bought an Audio-Technica AT-PL120 turntable so I can digitize some of my old vinyl, and I'm looking to upgrade the cartridge that shipped with it. I'd like to spend under $100 if possible, as I just can't justify an expensive super high-end cartridge. In the past I have used Stantons and have been pleased with them - in fact, I have a (pretty worn out) 981S in my current turntable, a Technics SL-1800.

Stanton doesn't make the 981 anymore, but I noticed that an outfit called LP Gear has a replacement stylus for the 981 cartridge. Does anyone know if this is of the original 981 quality?

Alternatively, I'm considering the Shure M97xE, which seems like a reliable choice.

I listen to all kinds of music - rock, punk, jazz, electronic, classical, etc.

Specifically, I guess I'm asking for opinions as to whether I should get the Shure, buy the LP Gear replacement stylus, or consider something else, like an Ortofon perhaps.

Oh, and is anyone interested in my SL-1800?

Thx.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12373

Call and ask if the Stanton replacement stylus is made by Stanton. Most likely it is. It would be my choice over the Shure.

Username: Menthol22

Post Number: 2
Thanks, Jan. It turns out it's not Stanton-manufactured, so I think I may take a pass.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us