Help with Magnepan 1.6 Speakers

Username: Lance_u

Post Number: 1
Hi!

My uncle is passing down some Magnepan 1.6 speakers to me. Although I can afford to buy these at a good discount, I will not have anything left over to be able to buy a new amp or receiver at this time.

I was trying to make do with what I currently own, which includes a Denon AVR-5800, and a NAD C-370. Which would you recommend I use for dedicated 2 channel stereo listening (no heavy metal or hip hop).

Also, if down the road I find that I want to add a little more bass to my setup, is there a good sub that you can recommend under $500.00?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2560
The NAD should have enough power to drive the Maggies. Sound quality, synergy, etc is all subjective. The Denon AVR will probably struggle with them.

Keep in mind that Maggies aren't the easiest speakers to place. You uncle should be able to help you out with that.

Lastly, make sure you're using a good source with them. If you've got the 370 and like the combination, the likely best partner would be an NAD 542. Don't use a DVD player.

Username: Lance_u

Post Number: 2
@ 4 ohms

NAD = 340 Watts

Denon = 310 Watts

Is there that much difference?

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 152
Magnepan speakers, while not a difficult load to drive from impedence/phase viewpoint, do like current....and the mo'better. The connection panel has a 4amp mid/hi fuse, which should be some indication.
Try 'magnepan users group'....MUG for short. They will have lots more info for you.

You can also get an online copy of the original owners manual, which will have placement tips.
That being said, they need some space around them. MINIMUM 2 feet from back wall...more like 3. Toe in, generally to 'cross' in back of where you sit.
Keep the tweeter portion of the panel to the outside.
I use a HSU Research VTF-2mk3 sub to good effect. Good low extension and great for either music or movies.

Also, there are some nylon spacers, you can probably use thin nylon washers that can be placed under the lower mounting screw of the stands. This will tip the speaker back a little. You might also find a little baggie which contains a pair of resistors. They go in the tweeter circuit, if you find the highs a little too bright.

You'll know when you've got it right. Big stage, open/clear/fast sound with great detail.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 153
OH, one other thing.
I'd probably forget the Denon. There are few HT receivers rated for 4ohm loads. If it works at all, first time you crank it up, it's gonna run real HOT.
If you turn it up, make sure your equipment is well ventilated and runs cool.

An ALL Magnepan HT setup is supposed to be awesome!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us