Need some help

Silver Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 183
hey guys I need some help, I just bought a H/K 3480 receiver from harman audio remanufactured. The problem is when listening to music the left channel is really weak, until I turn the balance to the left and it gets louder so at a certain point to the left side of the balance control, the left speaker plays as loud as the right one. it sucks though because when I do that I seem to have to crank it up alot louder than useual to get a decent volume. I own another H/k 3480 and it does just fine, and when they are at the same volume my H/k that I already had plays louder, with the same speakers hooked up.

do you think this could be an easy fix? or do I need to get a hold of harman kardon?

oh and ive checked all the speaker wire and its all hooked up good, it even does it when playd through headphones.

thanks for any help.

I would really like to fix this on my own without having to ship it off to them.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 713
I know it sucks having to ship something back to get it repaired, but that's really what you should do. It's still under warranty, I assume?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2773
Swap over the left and right interconnects between the CD player and amplifier so the right channel goes to left and left goes to right and play again. If the weakness stays on the same side then it's definitely the amp. If the weakness changes sides, then the problem is with your CD player or interconnect. Change interconnect to another. If the problem stays, it's the CD player. If not, it's the interconnect you just swapped out.

If the problem is with the CD player or amp, you need to get it looked at by a qualified technician...

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 715
Good advice Frank, I never thought of that.

Let us know how you make out Shawn.

Silver Member

Post Number: 184
thanks frank and david I will try what you suggested frank, hopefully it works.

Silver Member

Post Number: 185
I just tested it and the problem still continues, do you think it could be in the balance because when I have the balance set at about the ten o' clock position, both of the channels are at the same level, the left channel is strong at about that setting. so could that be a possibility?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2776
All my tests were meant to be set with the balance in the middle (forgot to mention that).

And you can't just say 'I tested it', you've got to tell us what the results were at each point, although I've already told you the answers in each case...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us