Oh. My. God.

Bob
Been looking around at a few speaker cable web sites - TMC, Transparent Cable, etc.. Now I know what kind of speaker cables I CAN'T afford. I have NAD T762 AV receiver, PSB Stratus Bronze and other PSB surround speakers. Is there a good speaker cable one can buy by the foot, and maybe some good spade connectors I can put on? I hear Monster is not so hot. I have a decent sized living room so I probably need about 200 - 250 feet for all the speakers, depending on whether or not I biwire the front speakers. Any recommendations much appreciated.

Hawk
Bob:

Yes, there is. Check out Parts Express for bulk wire at www.partsexpress.com. Lots of good choices and you can buy it in 100' to 2500' lengths.

Before you go galloping off to buy your wiring - have a read of this.

http://www.eastwoodhifi.com.au/tweak.htm

I don't particularly endorse this guy or his shop one way or the other; however in my conversations and emails with him he strikes me as a person who does not tolerate BS - and in this industry I do repsect that, if nothing else!

cheers... John

timn8ter
jvisser:
Thank you for that bit of sanity. I buy my speaker cable at Home Depot. It's not that Monster wire is "not so hot". It's that they claim to have something special when it's no better than any other quality wire but that doesn't stop them from marking up the price 100%. Not to pick on Monster necessarily but that name gets bantered about so much they became the defacto poster child for marketing over quality, other than Bose of course.

Monster Cable is the biggest name in quality cables because they were the first quality cable and they are the biggest company for quality cables. They have more patents than all other quality cable companies out there combined and sell more cable combined. In some snobbish audiophile circles they may represent that poster-child for marketing over quality but that is only because their marketing is so good. I bet they enjoy a greater market share than bose does. The quality certainly isn't lacking.
If you can hear the difference between Monster Z series and speaker cables costing 5 times as much than you should have no problem buying the more expensive cables because your speakers must have cost a fortune. I went to the eastwoodhifi website and he makes some valid points but contradicts himself when he says

"For general home use, bi-wiring speakers offers absolutely no benefit whatsoever except for doubling the thickness of the speaker wire (which is why most people can hear an improvement). "

well if most people can hear an improvement then there is a benefit isn't there?
just an observation.

Bob
Thanks for all the data. Unfortunately, you guys are too late. I already decided I couldn't afford acceptable audio-pile cables. So I just took what cable money I had and flew in the Vienna Philharmonic for a private concert. Quality over quantity.

John Allen
Was that the floor-standing Vienna Philharmonic? Also, you have to be careful with European orchestras, they measure length in meters.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us