8-ohm speaker to 4-ohm channel? plus a couple other questions

I have been put in charge of beefing up the current stereo system at the pizza shop I work at.

I have 2 dual-sub EV cabinets that I'm gonna use for the bass I'm getting a seperate power amp for them. I have a question about crossovers but I'll start another thread.

I have searched and searched for a multi-channel amp that is not rediculously expensive. A real amp, not just a reciever unit-. I want to drive 4 speakers all day long and have individual volume controls. I found this amp:

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=80&brandID=2

I couldn't find any review of samson amps. are they any good?

anyway- my real concern is that it does 4ohms/channel in quad mode (which is the mode I want) I need a seperate volume for each speaker (which this has) now- almost every loudspeaker I see for sale is an 8 ohm speaker. Can I safely run an 8 ohm speaker on each of the 60w X 4ohm channels? Will it stress either the amp or speaker?

I want to get somewhat loud here and there- 60 Watts should be fine for the Lower Mids on up, right?

continuing-- would I be better off hooking up 2 8-ohm speakers to each 4-ohm channel- equalizing the impedance? I would rather just hook up one, if possible.

I have searched and searched for this question all over, and the only question I get is for hooking up 4 ohm speakers to 8 ohm channels, and I want to know about the oppisite of that.

THANKS!!!

Anonymous
You will be just fine hooking up the 8 ohm speakers to that amp. Actually when they say that it's 60w\channel at 4 ohms, doesn't mean that each channel has 4 ohms, because in reality the amp doesn't decide how many ohms it's getting. That's the speakers job. 60w X 4 at 4 ohms means, that each channel is getting 60w at 4 ohms, which is probably the lowest ohm rating you can go without frying the amp. Here's the bad part, that same amp at 8 ohms will not be putting out 60w\ch. It doesn't say how much power it will make at 8 ohms but I bet it isn't more than 40w. Maybe even 30w. Hope this helps

Anonymous
4 ohms per channel--4 chanels 60 watts per channel

using 4 ohm speaker = 60 watts per ch
using 8 ohm speaker = 30 watts per ch

using 2- 8 ohms speakers on one ch wired wired parallel + to + , - to - = 4 ohm load and = 30 watts in each speaker.

using 2- 8 ohm speakers on one ch wired in series Ch+ to + of first speaker, - of first speaker to + of second speaker, - of second speaker to ch- , =16 ohms (would not use this way)

If you got 4 ohms per ch use 4 ohm or 8 ohms speakers or higher. 4 ohms being the best. Most watts.

whatever your ohms per ch on amp always use that or higher, never lower.
example never to use.
4 ohms per ch and use 3 ohms or 2 ohms or lower, damage coming sooner or later for sure.

shaun Jenkins
Hi readers

I have a carlsbro powerline 800 amp which is rated at 400 watts each channel at 4 ohms and a pair of Soundlab p115 speakers rated at 300 watts at 8 ohms and at volume levels for a disco,the amp peaks on the leds.
Should i purchase 4 ohms drivers for these speakers?
I was looking at say 450 watts 15 inch at 4 ohms which would give me headroom plus work the amp better wouldn,t it?
Any advice

Many thanx
Shaun

Anonymous
thanks for the info :)
(and thanks google!)

Anonymous
we're supposed to design and build a AM radio for our class. how do you drive a 2W 8 ohm speaker.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us