Loss of 33 RPM on Technics SL-23

Username: God_is_american

Post Number: 1
Hi guys, I've been reading another forum post with information about the SL-23 but didn't find anyone with my problem. I scored the SL-23 from my grandparents yesterday, probably hasn't been used in 15 years. It worked fine for the first day but then this morning whilst playing it jumped up to a much higher speed, I guess it's 45 but I don't have any 45s to check. It seems to play the same speed whether the switch is on 33 or 45.

Does anyone know what could be causing the problem?

I have some experience with electronics and I am going to try replacing the pots today as was suggested for a different problem in the other post.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12331

Whenever a component has been sitting for a length of time it should never be plugged into a wall outlet and hit with 120 Volts. The best way to bring a component up to working voltage is with a controlled voltage device such as a Variac. You've probably damaged a component in the speed control section of the table, most likely a capacitor. I have no idea which one it would be on this table and a failed capacitor can take out other components in front and behind itself.

Username: God_is_american

Post Number: 2
OK, thanks, I'll see if I can see any damaged caps.

Also, I'm in Australia so it's 240 Volts @ 50 Hz

Username: Jodokes

Sunrise Beach, Missouri USA

Post Number: 1
See the following

http://www.artandtechnology.com.au/audio/technics-sl23.html

It provides complete repair info concerning speed issues.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13436
Great link, HZ

Welcome to ecoustics.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us