Another new toy!

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 703
Last weekend, I went to my dealer just to shoot the breeze and noticed he acquired a mint pair of Martin Logan Aerius i speakers. I had a look at them as I have always loved the sound of this brand. I soon noticed they were just like brand new and I wondered if they were ever used! he told me that the person bought them in 2000 from him and used them maybe 3 months in total hours as he was always away on business. He then stored them in their original boxes for 3 years and decided that he would get rid of them for something smaller.

What was also strange was that he had bought a second pair of electrostatic replacement panels for some reason that were still in their box never opened. To make a long story short, I got the whole thing for 1000$ new panels and all!. This is probably the best deal I ever made in all my years of audio tinkering!

When I got them home, I was not sure what to expect as they are quite big in comparison to my Electra 926's. I plugged them up and bi-amped the woofers to my NAD C272 and placed them as specified in the manual. I was completely blown away! These things were amazing and I wondered if I owned Radio Shack speakers prior! The sound was coming from everywhere and they were so fast!

I know that ML's are supposed to be hard to drive but my Azur 840A and NAD C272 did not have any problems at all which surprised me. The biggest surprise was the amount of tight bass that I did not know a little 8 inch speaker could produce so cleanly! It was a releif to not have to buy better amplification however, I am going to place an order for the new Azur 840W power amp from CA but this was already in my plans. This amp should make them sing even more. I figure that what I have now has more than enough current so I don't expect a drastic night and day difference. I even tried my frinds YBA integre that he paid 7000$ for and both of us hardly noticed a difference only in the better timing and a little better definition that's it!

Anyways, I am happy to have found these wonderful speakers that look and sound incredible. The only change that I will make appearance wise is I plan on sanding the black wood trim to stain the same color as my sound room. They did not even have any dust on them in the first place and "0" marks or nicks anywhere! How lucky is that?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2502
Great find Danman. A lot of people love the electrostat sound.

A curiousity question though...
When you used your friend's YBA, was the source the same or different? If it was the same source, that could account for the very slight difference between your gear and his.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 704
I was using my Azur 840C and this is by no means a simple player! Don't get me wrong, there was a difference but not substantial. I am not about to change this player as it is excellent and compares to many at 3 times the price.

I think the proof is that speakers really do make the most difference of any piece. The change is usually immediate whereas an amp may give you 10% better imaging or something else depending.

I have played around with so much gera over the years to not let my head rule my ears!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6405
Congrats Danman!!!

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1066
another new find myself...

I just bought a Marantz SA-8001 CD player. It is still on layaway while I move (don't want to risk damaging a brand new unit). Just waiting for the gf to come home from work at 10 so we can get the ball rolling.

We should be in our new place by saturday. Just thinking about getting my internet set up. It is all wifi, and "provided" for (built into my rent) by the development. With the way I have been going....

see you guys next thursday... :-P

something tells me it is going to be fun trying to get it set up

congrats on the ML's :-) I likes the aerius the last time I heard them. it has been a while.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1067
had to replace my Rotel CDP... the more my iQ's broke in it became obvious to me that the Rotel isn't as refined as I thought it once was.

First the amplification, than the speakers, than the CD player.....

than the apartment....

then I'm getting married.....

what's next....?

and please don't say kids :-P

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6408
What's the new cd player Gav?

Or do we already know and I forgot...???

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 705
Yes Gavin..................KIDS!!!!! I now have 4!
However, they beat any piece of audio gear anyday! They make your life much better! Now if I can only get that doctor's appointment I will not have any more!

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 683
Yea man....forget the gear. Go for the kids. I know a guy that'll stop over and teach em how to make an origami crane.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1069
lol... if kids are in the future they will be at least 5 years from now. Our lives are too hectic to be good parents right now, nor are we mature enough.

The new piece is a Marantz SA-8001. Hopefully I will pick it up next week. I didn't dare risk it getting damaged in the move (not covered under warrenty).

I have to head out shortly, but I'll def. post back as to why I bought it.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2503
When did you move to Albany Gavin? I grew up in Watervliet. There are some great eateries in the area that I can help you with. Bomber's Burrito Bar and Gus's Hot Dogs come to mind.

Have you checked out the the local Hifi shops? Now that Clark Music is no more, I think Hippo's and Oasis are the only ones left. Clark had some great stuff, and its a shame.

If you've been contemplating getting into vinyl, there's a great used vinyl store on Quail St. in Albany - The Last Vestage.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 125
Bombers Burrito Bar? You've GOT to be kidding. If there was a restaurant by that name in SouthernCalifornia, it would be picketed by the Mexican/American antidefamation league! Just Kidding.

How do those panels compare, sound wise to Magnepan?

Sounds like the deal of the Month, at least!

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 707
I have no idea how they compare as I have never listened to Magnepan! For some reason every time I went to a dealer that carries them, they never had any demos that I could listen to! I have heard only great comments however, and am looking forward to listening someday.

My initial thought would be that they would be a little bass shy in comaprison but probably quite simular in imaging and detail.

I was told that Martin Logan's were also bass shy but I can tell you that they are leagues ahead in comparison to my Focal JmLab 926's and they are a 5000$ speaker! What impresses me most is that it is so fast and tight and this is only being amplified by a NAD C272 for the woofers! That NAD still impresses me for the price! Wonderful for bi-amping woofers. Actually I have a buyer for them (Focals)if I want to sell but I think I will transfer them over to my home theatre system as the front speakers.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 708
leo, after looking at you bio, I see that you own Magnepan's. You also have a wonderful HSU sub............aren't they great? How does the sound blend together? Is it a good combo?

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 129
DanMan,
Killer combo. Sub blends 100% seamlessly.
I am still adjusting and find that some music is just bass heavy. I played the OLD Michael Jackson Thriller album, just for the bass tracks and it was overdone. I need to get out my CD version of 'Will the Circle Be Unbroken' which has quite a number of Junior Husky-on standup bass tracks.
That should be a treat!
I am trying to avoid getting out the Rives calibration CD and the Radio Shackup spl meter.

The Sub comes with a HSU Research CD for demo and cal purposes. The first track is a cut from the Saint-Saens Organ Symphony and has a true 16hz peddle tone. While the Telarc 1812 Overture recording has higher bass energy and the Telarc recording of Wellingtons Victory is a close second, NOTHING has this low a sustained tone.
Turn it down before playing, for sure. My whole house rattled, my Wedgewood cabinet about came unglued. I could see a vibrating reflection in a window.

I have been a Maggie owner for over 25 yrs and have taken a lot of heat for it! I simply don't care. I fell in love with the open and transparent sound at first listen. I just sold my original MG-1s last November.

My system is now, once again stable and I won't upgrade or change anything soon. The only thing that would tempt me is a CD player and maybe a game system...PS3 or Xbox360!

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 710
Why would you take the heat for something you love? Maybe you don't fit the "norm"? Hey, one thing I have learned in audio is to be careful of the hype because there certainly is a lot of it out there! I have said this many times before and I don't care what people say about the comment is that I have listened to some 30 - 40 000$ set ups that sounded so dry I needed a drink after one song! I guess the word is clinical!

To each his own but today it is so easy to set up a great system for about 3000$-7000$ that is about 10% off what the big boys sell! Don't get me wrong, the opposite also exists as I have heard some incredible gear as well BUT I want to listen to music NOT the wire that carries it to the speaker!

I bet your maggies beat loads of speakers out there that sell for many times the price! Like I said, I always liked Martin Logan speakers and their hybrid design but never thought I would buy them until this luck came around. I am still surprised by their sound and am trying to figure out how I missed out on this before?

I guess what I am trying to say is that I also took some heat on this site for buying the Cambridge Audio 840A and 840C instead of the Naim 5 series! I demoed both to death and found the Naim to be incredible but underpowered and imaged less. That was not only my opinion even my wife thought the same and she knows her stuff! I actually believe (along with many others) that the CA 840C CD player is among the best out there but they are sort of stuck in the same league as NAD, when they go up in quality, people automatically think that we are hearing things that don't exists! Peoples brains work funny that way and actually convince themselves based on a brand rather than the sound! Open up a CA 840A or a Master Series amp and look what is inside......great quality!

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1072
Stu,

Hippos is where I like to buy my equipment (except my paradigms, and the odd random piece). They have lots of great stuff in there... Kef, Klipsch Reference, B&W, Marantz, Rotel, McIntosh just to name a few.

I have been in Albany (well, East Greenbush) since August).

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1073
"
If you've been contemplating getting into vinyl, there's a great used vinyl store on Quail St. in Albany - The Last Vestage."

THANK YOU...THANK YOU...THANK YOU...!

I have been wondering where I could find vinyl up here

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2506
The Last Vestige Music Shop
173 Quail St. - Albany, N.Y. - U.S.A. 12203
(518)432-7736

http://www.lastvestige.com/

I was in Albany visiting family today and wanted to stop in and grab some vinyl, but they're closed on Sundays.

What are you spinnin' vinyl on Gav?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9846
How the hell did I miss this?
Yeah what deck, Gavin?

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1077
I haven't gotten into it yet, but more than likely will. The only thing that was holding me back was that I wasn't sure where to get vinyl up here without paying a mint to ship it.

It'll be in the future, but have a wedding to pay for :-)

I do want to check out the Rega Planar decks though.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2508
Being an NAD dealer, Hippo's can get you an NAD table (555?), which is a re-badged Rega (P3?). They had one on display last time I was in there (about 2 years ago). Ask for Paul. He's their resident turntable guru.

Oasis in Latham carries Nottingham.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6457
P2 I believe.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1254
"It'll be in the future, but have a wedding to pay for :-)" I hear ya, 12 grando and rising..yeeek I could have bought 3 new 4B's for that. What we do for love Gavin.

Art/Stu- Indeed the 555 is a re-badged P2.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9858
pre...nup. pre nup.
Jaded fuckingold single guy here.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1259
LOL!!!! Nuck I already made a deal with her. If she leaves, she can have everything, just leave my stereo equipment

I recently heard the NAD 555 Turntable, it was very nice. I didn't care for the NAD Phono amp though. The 555 with a Rega Fono would be nice I bet.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6458
Even the new Fono Mini (the Mira's phono stage) would be nice and inexpensive.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us