Need help picking speakers for dorm.

Bronze Member
Username: Shike

Newton, Iowa USA

Post Number: 36
Hey guys,

I've had a cobbled setup for quite sometime. A JBL center from the 90s, E10s for the surrounds, and JM Labs Chorus 705s for the front.

This worked alright for a while . . . however, my center is on the way out the door. I don't have the effort to bother fixing the crossover, probably where the problem stems.

So now I'm asking for advice. I really like the sound of the Focals, however I can't get them as cheap as I did before which makes getting them all the harder. However, I really do love their upper range.

I'm wondering if it's time to replace the whole setup, just the center, etc . . .

My max budget is about $600, and that would be with selling the Focals for $150-200.

I just want some advice on where to head from here I guess. I can get a set of DM303s and a LCR3 for around $600, or get a bunch of NHT SuperZero XUs for around $300 . . .

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12313

If the NHT's suit your budget and your requirements, buy them.

Bronze Member
Username: Shike

Newton, Iowa USA

Post Number: 37
Hey, thought I'd leave a message on what I got.

First, I actually took in a Dead Can Dance CD and decided to go in with no expectations of either speakers.

The DM303s sounded extremely bright. The cymbal clashes hurt my ears. I was surprisingly dissapointed in them.

On the other hand, the NHTs shined like no other. They even give my old Focal fronts a run for the money. It's a shame they are plastic cabinets as they seem a bit tacky (friends snorted at them before I threw on music). On the other hand, the lower price point is a nice touch.

Win Win situation, not only were they cheaper but I liked them better ^_^

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9848
Excellent Drew! Nothing like a little ear pain to help you along!

Study hard.

Username: 8inch

AucklandNew zealand

Post Number: 2
maybe look into some second hand Tannoys.Very defined & great for both theatre & music
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us