Rega P3 vs P3-24

Bronze Member
Username: Jazzman71

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 18
I have seen some conflicting information various places about power supply for these. Am I correct in assuming that the P3-24 is upgradable with an external power supply but the older P3 is not? Also, am I correct that the external power supply upgrade can be retrofitted for a stock P3-24? I see a few P3 TTs from time to time that are very reasonably priced, but I think I might want the flexibility of an external power supply.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6339
The external power supply is an upgrade for the stock P3-24. The P3-24 is a very good table and better in everyway than it's predecessor.

http://www.stereotimes.com/acc010708.shtml

Just one review that explains the differences. Google search and read some more. BTW that link takes a minute to load....be patient.

Bronze Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 19
Thanks Art. I'll have look.

Bronze Member
Username: Dudywoxer

ScunthorpeUK

Post Number: 45
remember that after market power supplies are available for the P3.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6341
Like the Heed, however at a cost that at least meets the Rega's. The improvements in the plith, arm and motor, and cables make the P3-24 a worthy upgrade.

Bronze Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 55
Where does the P25 w/ RB600 arm sit in the mix as the predecessor to the P5? Some used pricing I have seen:

P25 w/ RB600 arm, no PSU $800-900
P3-24 w/ RB301 Rega std cart, no PSU $800
P5 w/ RB700 arm w/PSU but no cart $1250-1349

My dilemna is when I put the PSU on the P3-24 and upgrade the cart on the P3-24 and the P5, they are essentially the same money. Thoughts on the best value in that case? Thanks.

Bronze Member

ScunthorpeUK

Post Number: 48
from that list I would (did) go for the P25 and add a after market PSU at a later date. I am told that the P5 is better than the P25, not to my ears its not. It is possible that the wood 'frame' that is available for the P5 now takes away some of the criticism I had for the 5's sound.

Bronze Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 57
Thanks Colin. Was the P5 you heard the microfibre plinth? I have also seen the earlier P3 and P25 tables on (or in) either optional or custom maple bases. I assume this is to address mass and resonance?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6492
The P5 P25 comparison and which is better is an ongoing debate that is much about preference. I love my P5, the external power supply is necessary to make make it sound it's best...

The P3-24 with power supply is an excellent value.

Bronze Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 66
Art, what surround do you have if you don't mind my asking? I see they now have aluminum and cherry, presumably at additional cost. I thought it used to be $200 or so to upgrade to the cherry. Also, does the table sit inside the surround with snubbers or dampers or is it a different setup now. I assume the surround is doing more than acting as a facade, but it's hard to tell from the shots I've seen. I'll have to call the US distributor and see if there are any dealers around here. I kind of doubt it. Thanks.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6496
I bought it when there was only the aluminum. I bought the silver as the plinth is still black - quite sharp IMO. The new wood surrounds look ok but not as pretty as the old P25's. I will likely get either a P25 or an Oracle Paris for my office system.

There are some gaskets (loosely speaking) on the surround at the corners but I'm not sure what is between the surround and the main body of the plinth. The distributor is the The Sound Organisation in Dallas, Texas. Very friendly folks, I've spoken to Steve, the owner, on a number of occasions and he is very friendly and knowledgeable.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2529
Steve is a great guy with a ton of useful information. He's also very particular about authorized dealers.

Bronze Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 69
Great, I'll get in touch with him. Art, your description helps me understand it a lot better. Thank you.

Bronze Member

ScunthorpeUK

Post Number: 50
Arts right, the differences in the 5/25 are very debatable, and I love the way the 25 looks, especially with a maple plinth, and I could have been listening with my eye's as much as my ears, which is a bit of a mistake. (when I have the pennies for for a 9 all will come together)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6504
I'd love to have the maxed out Rega system...Cursa, Exons, P9, R9's, Saturn and lot's of time to listen...!!!

Silver Member
Username: Markusp

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 163
Art and gang - if I may ask, is the old Planar 3 with the RB250 tone arm still a good "starter" option for a vinyl newbie?

I've been toying with the idea of jumping into vinyl for a few years now and am looking for my first turntable. Originally I was considering the Pro-Ject Debut III, the Rega P1, and the Goldring G2 but from what I read here, the Rega P3 / Planar 3 seems like a better option. Cartridge would be a Shelter 201 (new). Price is just slightly higher than what a new Debut III would cost me.

Thanks.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2542
The Planar 3 should be better than the Debut 3 and P1. I think the Goldring G2 is a re-badged Rega. You'd have to look further into that.

Buying a second hand turntable is pretty tricky. There's a lot of moving and adjustable parts. Even if the table is in prefect condition, if the seller doesn't pack it right, it can ruin the table. Original box, packing materials, and knowing how to put all those pieces back in the way they came is a must. Some people have done a very good job shipping turntables without the original packaging, but they're few and far between. Furthermore, is the seller going to tell you he doesn't know what he's doing in this regard?

The best bet is a dealer that you can go to pick it up from. If not, then a Rega dealer who knows how to pack the stuff properly.

If its someone who you have full confidence in, the Planar 3 may be a better bet. If its someone you don't know, you're better off with a new table. Others may disagree.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6526
Yep Markus the Planar 3 with an RB arm is indeed a good starting point...for some that's as far as they need to go.

Silver Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 164
Thanks Stu. This would be a local sale so no shipping would be involved - I just have to drive over and pick it up.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2546
Personally, I'd go that route instead of buying a P1 et. al.

Bronze Member

ScunthorpeUK

Post Number: 53
I would take the 3 as well, but is it a RB250, the 3's come with a RB300 over here anyway. As for cart, try and here one of the baby denon's (DL110) they enjoy life on a rega arm

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2549
The current P3 comes with an RB301.

Bronze Member

ScunthorpeUK

Post Number: 54
yes,the new one's have 301's, but I thought he was buying s/hand.

Silver Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 165
Yup - the Planar 3 I think came with the original RB250 and the P3 came with the RB300, though I may be wrong.

Silver Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 166
Well, after much thought and reading last night, I've decided that I would rather just buy a new TT as opposed to risking problems on an old TT, even though I know there is great value to be had in picking up a used setup with updated cartridge etc.

Problem is, I don't think I wan't to splurge right away on a new P3-24 with cartridge (approx. $1300 CDN plus 13% taxes) and so I am now considering a new P2 for $650 CDN or a Goldring GR2 which I understand is a semi clone of the P2 but with a better cartridge for $600 CDN.

Is the P2 a worthwhile player?

Thanks.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6537
Yes...

Very worthwhile...excellent arm and a great starting point. If that GR2 comes with a Goldring cartridge it would a very place to start (and maybe finish).

Yes the GR2 is a P2 clone.

Silver Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 167
Well, just as an update, I ended up going in a completely different direction (for now).

Instead of picking up a turntable, I ended up revamping the majority of my 2 channel system! I now run an Audio Note set up complete with new cd transport, tube dac, tube pre amp and a pair of tube monoblock amps.

Everything now sounds more smooth and yet detailed that I am ecstatic - I literally spent hours and hours just listening to music yesterday and loving every minute of it. Figured this was the better investment to make at this time as I have hundreds of CD and currently only 10 LPs.

Given how good my system sounds, I will wait until the upgrade bug bites again and then step up to a proper turntable - the P3-24 or higher but for now, it's off to look for a pair of efficient speakers, even though my Neats sound fantastic on this setup (they are only rated 85 db).

Thanks for all the suggestions and opinions folks.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9893
Wow, that sounds great Marcus!
Check out the AN line of speakers...theAN-J or K

Cheers!

Silver Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 169
Thanks - looking to get the AN-K but very tough to find here in Ontario, Canada.

Silver Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 170
Just as an update - my system has changed quite a bit since March and I now run an upgraded Audio Note setup with an Audio Note Soro SE integrated that features a terrific phonostage along with a Rega P3 with Dynavector 10x5. I also have an Audio Note CD+DAC combo running through AZ-Two speakers and for the first time in a very long time, feel zero need to upgrade any further:-) - It is a VERY nice feeling!

Spending most of my money and time searching for great vinyl and cds to enjoy on my system.

Cheers.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7349
Audio Note is excellent gear...congrats and enjoy the music!

Silver Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 171
Thanks Art. As mentioned, I am REALLY enjoying this setup.

Now, to peruse the forums on how to best clean old vinyl :-)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7352
A Nitty Gritty or VPI record cleaning machine if it's in the budget...if not there are other alternatives...a search should yield most for you.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3085
Markus,

The Soro is the only Audio Note amplifier I was not iummediately impressed with. I know the Audio Note range quite well and the Soro just left me feeling a bit left out, but I wouoldn't be surprised if I was just on an off-day. The Audio Note stuff is really very good indeed. If I were to point at a weakness, I'd say the Zeroes have to go! :-) Forget K's and look at J's or E's, depending on budget. Fabulous speakers (K's are very good too of course, but your system is crying out for the extra depth of J's or E's, both of which are lovely sounding speakers).

After that, the odd man out is the Rega (of all things). I'm surprised you went down that road instead of the Audio Note TT1 which is not too dissimilarly priced.

Cleaning old vinyl. The best is to use a vacuum pump based cleaner from the likes of Nitty Gritty, Moth, Clearaudio (similar price to the Nitty Gritty I believe), VPI, Loricraft. You use isopropyl alcohol diluted in distilled water which lifts the dirt into suspension, then the vacuum pump slurps it up and the records come out looking like new. If you intend to buy hundreds of cheap 2nd hand records, this is the way to go.

Then there is the new record market with loads of fantastic reissues off original master tapes. Look at labels like 4 men with beards for Aretha Franklin or Sundazed for fabulous mono Otis Redding reissues as well as many others. Both labels are coming out with some amazing stuff. Analogue Productions has a few goodies as do Alto, Speakers Corner and Classic Records. In the UK, have a look at Stamford Audio's website or Diverse Vinyl. No idea about the US, sorry, but I know those Sundazed albums are $11 apiece and they're beautiful!!

Silver Member

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 174
Hi Frank. To be honest, I purchased the SORO SE on a whim since I was already running an Audio Note M-One pre amp with a pair of Audio Note P-Zero monoblock amps. While I really liked that setup (it now forms my second system), I wanted to hear what SET sounded like so when a SORO SE popped up on Audiogon, I jumped on it.

Like you, I wasn't immediately impressed with it but after replacing some tubes, changing some interconnects and living with it for a number of months, I can honestly say that I am quite taken with it. It sounds very open and honest and with great recordings sounds bl**dy fantastic!

I agree with the swapping of the speakers but model J and E never pop up used around here and I refuse to buy new without hearing them first and unfortunately, Audio Note has virtually zero presence here in Ontario, Canada. Will keep my eyes open though.

As for the P3, I simply wanted to get into the world of vinyl for minimal cost just to see if it was something I could truly enjoy. I started off by purchasing a Systemdek IIx with Profile II arm and Sumiko Bluepoint cartridge but I could never get it to sound right so I then picked up a Goldring GR1.2 before settling on the P3. I recently picked up the Dynavector 10x5 cartridge and if I stick with vinyl, may indeed step up to the Audio Note TTI and just move over my RB300 arm and cartridge. Again, I face the situation of having to buy unheard as no-one outside of Soundhounds in Victoria, BC (a 6 hour flight away) carries the table in Canada.

As I said, for now I am quite happy with my system and am in no hurry to change things. My AZ-Two speakers may be my weak link but I enjoy them the most right now out of all the speakers I own, including JMR Reynaud Twin Signatures, Neat Motive 2s, Snell Type K Mk IIIs, Castle Severn IIs and PMC DB1s.

Cheers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us