Harmon receiver and sub on college budget? Suggestions please

Username: Bdb0808

Post Number: 1
hey everyone, i new to the hoem theater scene but i just got a new tv for valetines day, and I want to hook up a decent system. So far I will be getting a PS3 for the blu-ray, and I am kinda hooked on Harmon for the reciever. I am looking for a sub that will scare the children next door when watching 300 but still be useful during a chick flick(i know,i know, im engaged) I am a college student so the budget is relatively low. HArmon audio has some quite inexpensive refurb receivers on their site. I am an ebay freak and found a couple velodynes and jbls and infinitys but i dont know how to match a sub with a correctly powered receiver.
Any help would be great. Sorry for any mistakes i have made in still a newbie:-)

Post Number: 2
So I am thinkin a Velodyne DPS-10 and a denon AVR588 . Opinion's?

Post Number: 3
http://www.dakmart.com/itemdetails/31854/18/
Denon for $228 authorized dealer

Post Number: 4
Velodyne DPS-10 is on sale at Circuit city for $299

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 676
I've looked at buying from Dakmart before. Their shipping quotes are pretty steep.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 677
... and I have a Velodyne sub. I'm pretty happy with it (just the base model vx-10, but it slams some pretty tight, deep bass).

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 118
Shipping on ANY sub is going to be pretty steep.
These things, properly done, weigh a lot.
I just went to OC and picked up a HSU Research Sub.
These guys are internet direct. I saved shipping and got a good deal, saving nearly 100$ for a 3 hr round trip.
There entry level STF-1 gets the job done for about 300$. If you move into a larger room later, you can get another and pair them up or sell and go upline.
If you are anywhere in Southern California, give these guys a shot.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 678
Leo, I was talking about buying Denon gear from Dakmart... they want almost 100 bucks to ship an A/V receiver.

Post Number: 5
Thanks for the info guys. I live in michigan so no chance of the hsu, i wish. BUt the circuit city in my hometown has a velodyne dps-10 for $299. I am pretty flexible on the reciever if you guys have any suggestions that would be great. I think i am gonna stay away from harmon receiver (not for quality issues but for the ease of use)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us