Rca inputs/ Grundig TK46/ reel to reel

Username: Spetz01

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 1
Hope somebody can help me out.

My Grandfather has an old Grundig TK46 reeel to reel. I know this is the phono section, but i'm assumin that this unit is the same as the old stand alone sylye that had their own speaker out puts.

My question is how (or can I) turn the speaker outs into RCA in's? Being that there is a right and left specifically, volume is controlled for each seperate side on the unit, can I splice these into 1 set of RCA and use any input on a reciever?

Any suggestions to get this old unit louder would be helpful.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12285

Why would you assume a reel to reel recorder would have a phono pre amp included?

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 2
I guess you failed to understand what I was asking.

I'm asking if speaker wires can be made into RCA that can act as an input. I'm not sure how RCA's recieve they're signal. I've spliced/repaired RCS's before and it's worked, I just don't want to start hacking away on this unit.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12286

You can put RCA's on a speaker cable. You shouldn't use a high level speaker output to feed a low level input. So, while you can do what you propose, it isn't something that should be done.

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 3
RCA are usually 2 volts I think. I'm not sure what the old Grundig would put out for signal stength. COuld always try it out on an old amp I guess and see what it does to that..Might just give to strong a signal and just play loud feedback

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12291

Not to mention speaker outputs are meant to drive an eight Ohm load and most line inputs are 10-50k Ohm.

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 4
Do you know of a safe way then to get more volume? I know car audio more...You can add speaker inputs into amps for signal...Is there anything in home audio similar?

As it stands the speakers with the unit sound like they are underwater, I guess they're 40 years old as well.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12296

Asking a blanket question of how to improve a 40 year old product is not something I can answer. The unit might need new parts and a thorough refurbishment. The unit might be performing to its best ability and there's nothing that can be improved on in this particular unit. You should have the unit looked at by someone in the business of refurbishing vintage gear. If this unit has sat in storage for years and you just plugged it into the AC wall outlet Voltage without any consideration for its condition, the power supply is likely to have been damaged or will soon give out from the stress of old, dried components being hit with 120 volts.

You gain volume by using more sensitive speakers - speakers with a higher number output for a constant 1 Volt input.

If this is a reel to reel deck, are you playing old tapes? You mentioned a phono input and brushed off my reply that there might not be an input for a magnetic cartridge. What source are you listening to?

Username: Normancf

Post Number: 1
Hi,
My father has got a Grunding TK46, but unfortunately the pulleys are broken. So the question is, is there a place where you can buy the pulleys or send it to be repaired?
Another question, hi's got recordings in that format (reel to reel). Is there any place you know that can digitalize those tracks and convert the them into mp3 files?

Regards

Norman
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us