Got B&W 686, need a sub..

Username: Pen67

Post Number: 1
Recently I decided to downsize my stereo system, got this minimalistic urge. I bought a couple of B&W 686 together with a Rotel RA-04 amp. Usually the source is my mac-book via an external DAC, and I'm quite satisfied. After a few months enjoying this, I start to wonder if a sub would make everything just a little bit better - Has anyone tried the 686 with the asw608? What's the general opinion on subs in a stereo system, go, no-go?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2738
Generally, the main problem with inserting a sub into a stereo system is achieving good integration. For some years the advice has generally been not to go there since achieving integration was almost impossible with a consequent reduction in performance, the main loss being in the timing department.

Nowadays, we're getting better at integrating these elements, the subs have become far better, in part because of better understanding on the subject, in part because people aren't trying to squeeze a million watts through a 6.5" woofer in a ported plastic cabinet for £150.

I have never been a fan of B&W's subs. I have not heard the latest variants (apart from the PV-1 which is excellent) so I can't say for certain that the idea is a good or bad one. With other fast subs such as those from Velodyne you could be onto a good thing. I'd look at a Velodyne SPL800R and nothing less for this job.

There is one thing that bothers me about this. The 686 is quite good at reproducing reasonably (if not infinitely) deep bass, and has a fair amount of mid-bass colouration. If you use a sub, you will need to bring it in very lightly at the lowest reaches - in other words you will probably want to set the crossover point at something like the 50 - 60hz mark at most. You need to be subtle in order to get a sub to work and integrate well which is why the SPL800R would be my starting point (it's very minimalist since it's very small but it goes very deep too).

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Pen67

Post Number: 2
Thank you so much for your advise, just what I was looking for. I'll make sure to go the subtle way, and I'll have a look at the Velodynes.

Silver Member
Username: Uback007

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 302
look at HRU research too- www.hsuresearch.com
I have a 10" from them and am very satisfied

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2753
Did you mean HSU?

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 303
yes Frank

hey Frank- what should I pair with my new Dali Helicon 400's?? I currently have them with Rega Apollo and Jolida 1501 with EH 12ax7 tubes- tied together with Kimber Silver Streak IC's and 4tc biwired. I'm itching to do something as part of my upgradeitis!

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 138
Just paired the HSU w/my panels....and I started with the x-over @50hz....The panels are supposed to be good to 40hz in room.
Integration is very good. No boom or muddle. Speed is there, too, which is supposed to be problematic with panels. I continue to edge the volume down a little at a time and continue. The next nudge or so should make the sub disappear!

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2756
I'm very sorry to say I have almost no experience with the Dali speakers. Everyone who owns a pair seems to love them, but unfortunately I ahve had no exposure to them at all. Can't help I'm afraid.

Leo, you've a ways to go I think.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9847
Leo, have you got a pic of your room?
My buddy is wanting to get panels and a rel sub.
I think you tuned the room pretty well, right?
Martin Logan Auries(?) he said. I don't know them.
I told him REL sub anyhow.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 638
I'll agree with Frank on the comment regarding everyone being pleased with Dali speakers. A couple of people I know who have them rate them highly.

Someone in these forums once recommended a subwoofer thats the same as the MJAcoustics Pro 50 mk1:

http://www.mjacoustics.co.uk/MJ_Acoustics_Wesbite/Products/Pro%20_Range/pro50.ht m

I got it from ebay built by a company called Ruark who are renowned for quality speakers (Ruark Vita 50)
I must say the sub is a cracker for £130, but sacrifice does have to be made in overall system coherance. Timing between the sub and my speakers was my hardest trick to get right, not to mention bass eminating stronger in parts of the room.

But I'm satisfied by it, I've not heard better but dont want to knowing the price of subwoofers.

Maybe this could help you:
http://www.bkelec.com/
From what I've heard they have a connection with REL!?

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 305
If funds are low get a HSU research- if they are not and can afford to spend around $800 US- get a REL- phenomenal!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us