Tweaks--Need a New Transformer

Username: Bssmith

Sydney, Nsw

Post Number: 1
I just arrived in Australia with my NAD C352 from North America. I have to replace the mains transformer so it will work here. Since I have to replace it anyway, can I improve the sound quality of the amp by replacing the transformer with something that has more volt amps? I was thinking of replacing the existing toroidal transformer with a custom wound one one that is 500va.

What sonic improvements might be possible.

Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12281

The transformer is simply one piece of the power supply and plays a rather minor role in overall sound quality. If you want to upgrade your sound quality, upgrade to better components rather than trying to design something you don't understand.

Username: Bssmith

Sydney, Nsw

Post Number: 2
Jan Vigne,
Thanks for the prompt response. I am replacing the transformer so the amp can function with the mains voltage and frequency here in Australia. My hope was that in the process, I could improve the sound from the amp and maybe begin a bit of a hobby at the same time. Any help you can offer would be appreciated.
Thanks,
bssmith

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12282

"My hope was that in the process, I could improve the sound from the amp and maybe begin a bit of a hobby at the same time.'

My answer stands regarding upgrading the transformer. I don't know what you mean by the other.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us