ADS L 810 SPEAKERS

Bronze Member
Username: Lobster

Post Number: 12
I have a pair of ads L810 speakers. I was wondering if anyone knew how these speakers stacked up to the speakers today.I dont know much about the advances that have been made in the last 25 years to speakers.

They were considered to be nice 25 years ago .They have been well taken care of. Iam going to upgrade my stuff but have always wondered what they would sound like with a better receiver. any thoughts
thanks chris

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12262

None of us can tell you what they would sound like with a better receiver, cg. The 810's were very nice in their day. Try them with a new receiver and decide for yourself. There have been signifcant improvements in speakers over the last two decades. Listen to a few speakers when you buy the receiver and ask the dealer about the loan of a pair for comparison against your speakers. You are the decider.

Bronze Member
Username: Msgtpogi

NJ

Post Number: 25
I'll go out on a limb by relying on memory, and generalizing about ADS: I loved the ADS sound from yesteryears. They gave a very good amount of detail yet sounded far from grating. They still had a soft sound, akin to Spicas but with a little bit more top end and greater SPL capability. Since the digital age has come about, good speaker manufacturers started putting emphasis on the aspects of performance that became more relevant with the new technologies. My advice would be to go out and listen to some speakers and decide for yourself if they exceed your expectations at a price that you can bear. I tend to champion Paradigm speakers because they are very well engineered and are sold at reasonable prices. Of course there are better speakers but they usually cost a whole lot more than a comparable Paradigm. (While I own a basic Paradigm Titan/Atom/PDR-12 HT system, I prefer my Acoustat electrostats for music on a system optimized for 2channel stereo).

Unless you are running a McIntosh receiver, a 25 year old unit would have tired capacitors and connections and sonics that show it. Maybe try borrowing some gear from friends or dealers for a home audition and see if an update is warranted.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9778
Or plan to recap and refoam...

Bronze Member
Username: Lobster

Post Number: 14
Thanks for all the info above. since my first post I have moved these speakers around the room and made some better adjustments on my receiver . The results have been great.

I think Iam going to keep these for now and invest in a new receiver and center speaker.

I have a onkyo tx sv545 receiver. It does well with just music but I plan on buying a new lcd/ hd television . The receiver must be close to 10 years old and there are no hdmi connections.

The center is a cheap bose center and quite frankly it needs to be replaced.

Any advice on matching up a receiver & center to the ads speakers. Iam partial but not limited to paradigm speakers.

I keep hearing good things about harmon kardon and that they are a good bang for your buck.I was also thinking about the outlaw 1070 but its no longer available.

Iam pretty flexible and open to any ones opinion.
my buget is 1k for each
thanks, chris
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us