Speaker Recommendations

Bronze Member
Username: Darrenmc

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Post Number: 63
I have Monitor Audio RS6's right now and I'm looking to upgrade. I have heard the MA GS20's, which I really like but I was wondering if anyone has other recommendations to audition at this price point which is about $3000.00. I'm looking for a speaker that performs well in both 2 channel listening and home theatre. These are some of the brands I can demo locally, Monitor Audio, KEF, Paradigm, Focal, ERA, Boston Acoustics, B&W, Vienna Acoustics, Acoustic Energy, Reference 3A, Ariel Acoustics, Anthony Gallo, Vandersteen.

Room size is 15X12X7, I listen at moderately loud levels, I'm using an Arcam AVR300 for amplification, and I do not plan to use a sub for 2 channel listening. I have two subs in use for home theatre. The speakers would be used for both 2 channel music and home theatre, and I am only looking at floorstanders. Any thoughts would be apprciated. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9763
I am partial to the Gallo's myself.
But hold on tight for the prices!

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1094
The Gallos offer a neutrality and cohesiveness that I have not found in other speakers. They are upgradable in that Gallo sells a sub-amp for the which drives only the second coil in the woofer. They are not built for bi-amping otherwise. The sub-amp brings the floor from ~35Hz down to ~22Hz. It also provides for a fuller bass up to about 300 Hz, much as a super-tweeter adding support to higher frequency ranges on some speakers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9771
And if ya want to play, the sub amp can be replaced with very affordable active crossovers and another amp of any kind.

Just mind the cost, these don't come cheap.

But MAN, do they work ever so well.

Huge broadcast range. Although Mike is specific about placement, I didn't hear anything bad from anywhere in the room.

And they will play very well at normal levels.
They also play very well at levels that make you want to hide.

All of the above is with consideration to electrics.
Mac or Classe, for example.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2476
Darren,

All the speakers you listed are very good. I'd eliminate Boston Acoustics from the list though. IMO, they're not in the same class as the rest. If they're available at a dealer who has some of the others, A/B them to confirm.

There's a lot of differences in the speakers, and different ranges within each brand. While Gallos are very good, they've got some differences within their lines. I wouldn't say that Gallos are better than Ariels or Vandersteens, just different.

Keep in mind that you're running a receiver (a very good one). Some or even many of these probably need more power and quality power to fully appreciate. While the Gallo Ref3 may sound the best of the group with a McIntosh integrated amp running them, it'll be another story with an Arcam receiver. Make sure you demo the speakers with your receiver.

Also keep in ind that if you're using a DVD player instaed of a good CD player, the music is going to be further compromised. You may be better off splitting your budget and buying a good CD player and less expensive speakers if you don't have a quality source.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1098
Good points Stu!

The Gallos really shine with a lot of power, even at low volume levels.

A CD player in lieu of a DVD source will have more of an impact if done in conjuction with a speaker upgrade dollar for dollar than just a speaker upgrade.

What I mean is if you spent $600 on a CD player plus $2400 on speakers, I would expect the improvement to be greater than if you spent $0 on a CD player and $3000 on speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 144
I agree with the above points. I didn't see where you mentioned what source you were using, but if it is a DVD player then I would spend a chunk of that $3000 on a decent cdp or dac. The improvement would not be subtle.

A couple of brands you could add to your speaker list would be Fab Audio and Totem.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
The source is a Simaudio(Moon)CD-1. I just got it a couple of weeks ago. One thing I should mention is that I can get the Gallo's at cost as well as a Velodyne DD-10 subwoofer(this is a favor from the dealer whom is a friend of the family). I have to front the cash but then he'll take my front speakers & centre channel and subs and sell them on consignment and I'll give him a %. I'll get back about 40% on the cost with the trade. It'll end up costing me less than $3000 for everything, a pretty sweet deal!

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2477
If you're trading in your speakers, are you going with a 2 channel setup, or are you sticking with a surround setup?

The reason I ask is that the Gallos will sound far better with a 2 channel intergated amp or seperates.

If that's the case, you may want to trade in the Arcam too, and get a Simaudio i-1 as well. Sorry if I'm spending too much of your money

Either way, it would be wise to try the speakers with the amplification you're going to end up with.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
Stu,
I'd be sticking with a surround setup. I may eventually go seperates but will always be used for both home theatre and 2 channel. I'd like to try the speakers but will not be able to do that due to the circumstances involved. My friend is getting out of the business and is kind of giving some incredible deals to people that have been loyal to him over the years, so I'd have to buy them without an audition with my equipment. Sounds crazy but it's a great deal and with the Velodyne sub it makes it better. My other option was to move up to the MA GS20's & GSLCR but this will end up costing me about $600 more and no upgrade on my sub. I could get just the sub and would end up paying about $900 out of pocket with the trade and then get the MA GS20's & GSLCR but that would be another $3400.00 which I can't afford. I would end up paying about $1900 for the Ref 3.1's and AV centre with my trade. So it's $1900 for the Ref 3.1's & AV Centre & $900 for the Velodyne DD-10 vs. $3400 for the MA GS20's & GSLCR. Would the MA's be better?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2713
If you've had the opportunity to hear the Gallos with your system, or at least in a system context you know well, and you like them, then it does sound like a good deal. If you haven't then you don't know that the Gallos are really for you, in which case the deal counts for little unfortunately.

The other brands in your original post are good but only you can tell which one suits you - and only after having heard them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
Called the dealer and said I was concerned that I would not get to hear the Gallos and not sure how it will sound with my components? He said he'd buy the speakers back from me if I didn't like them. He's give me 30 days with them. He said the Arcam AVR300 would be enough power for now. I did read some reviews of the Gallos that were mated with an AVR300 and apparently the results were excellent. Obviously room acoustics will play a huge part in that. This is a one time deal and I cannot get the sub on it's own as it's not worth it for him to give at cost & trade.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9777
Darren, you will not need a sub with the Gallos if you add a $150 XO and another amp of some description.
That is what I am going to do...well, at some point when I have a room again.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1099
Darren, if you are not happy with the Gallos you can sell them to Nuck or get all your money back on Audiogon or eBay.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2479
Mike,

Would my B60 at 60 watts into 8 ohms/100 into 4 be enough to drive the Gallos? If not, could I bi-amp them with another Bryston amp with identicle specs? I'd love to track down a dealer for an audition, but can't afford them brand new. I don't want to waste a dealer's time.

Darren,
Sorry to hijack...

As Nuck mentioned, I doubt you'll need a sub if you go the route he alluded to. Also, If you don't like them and your friend will buy them back, then there's really no risk.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
No worries Stu. I questioned the sub but he said the SA for the Gallo's was not really needed. He said adding the sub would be easier on my amp, and had gotten into some technical stuff. The one thing about the Velodyne DD-10 besides the fact it has a built-in EQ is it's small. I currently have 2 subs that take up too much space that I can get rid of them. If I find the sub to be too much I could always sell it but a $2500 sub for $1500 less whatever I get for my trade is a pretty good deal. The fact that he'll buy the speakers back does eliminate the risk so I'm going to go for it!

Gold Member

Post Number: 9781
Your amp will not see any difference in load with or without the Gallo's 2nd coil running.
Your amp will run all but the 2nd coil all the time anyhow, and if you have tone controls, they may be bypassed as well.
The Gallo's extend to 34Hz normally, and 22Hz with the second coil running.
BUT the 2nd coil requires an active XO and an amplifier.
If the room is too full of subs, that clears it up, and works tremendously well.
And I might look at buying them if you don't like them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
Nuck,
Look at buying what?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9801
The Gallo's, if you buy them and do not like them, considering the price you would pay.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9802
I already have the amp I want nd the XO's as well.
I got a price of 3k, all in, brand new, but I am waiting a bit on them.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1815
Why not simple move up to the RS8 and keep the savings in your pocket?

I have not heard the new MA Gold Series, nor Platanum Series for that matter, but the RS8 are spectacular. Dollar for dollar, I think they're the best things going.

If you want to sell those RS6s PM me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
Nuck,
I have a feeling I'll be keeping them!

I actually preferred the RS6's over the 8's. I couldn't tell much difference between the 2 and the RS8's were $650 more.

Bronze Member
Username: Arien

Post Number: 43
I agree Darren, I had the same observation...here it's $300+ more...so I ended up with RS6 and enjoying it

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
Arien,
Glad your enjoying those RS6's, they are an excellent speaker and tremendous value for the $ amount.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us