Connecting voice transformer/vocoder to pc

Username: Krizz

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone.
I just purchased a voice transformer (Roland Boss VT-1) and I want to connect it to my laptop (Acer Aspire 5050) and get quite good sound quality when I record through it with the line-in on the laptop.

I will have my mic connected to the voice transformer through a microphone pre-amp (ART Tube MP Project Series) cuz I already have one (and it is not good to connect mic directly to VT). But do I need one more preamp or even a real amp between the voice transformer and the laptop line-in? Just want to know if I need to buy one cuz I don't have a real amp at the time. Only a pre. Can I connect the VT directly to the PC?

Is this the right method:
Mic->pre-amp->voice transformer->laptop line-in

or

Mic->pre-amp->voice transformer->pre-amp/amp->line-in

Plzzz help, sorry for my stupid question but I'm quite new in the business.. :-/

Thanks

Post Number: 2
By the way here is a picture of the voice transformer:

Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12237

Read the owner's manual, it should provide set up instructions. I don't know why you would need a "real" amp but then I'm not sure what you want to do.

Post Number: 3
Thanks, but the problem is that in the manual there is an arrow from the R L out's you can see on the pic to a textbox that says "Amplifier" I don't know if they mean that I should connect them to an amp in order to work? I don't want to buy the wrong cable, I mean it's better to buy an amp if it's necessary than buying a direct connecting cable that doesn't work :-/ (an R L to 3,5 mm jack cable).

What I want is just to record voice to the pc with my mic through the VT to make robotic voices etc. for my loops. Instead of just recording voice through a mic pre-amp I want to record through both the VT and the pre.

Another problem is that the manual SUX. I think there are 3 pages in it and you learn nothing from it. I know some others with the same problem :-P

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12239

You should not require a "real" amp to do recording. However, you will for playback unless you are using headphones.

Post Number: 4
Okay, I know it's kind of stupid but I didn't know much about real amps because I have a pair of very nice PC speakers.

But you think there should be one more pre amp between the VT and the PC? I mean so I have one between mic and VT and one between VT and PC? I mean, a turntable requires a pre amp in order to function well with a PC. But I don't know if that's the case with a VT.

That was a lot of VT's and PC's lol

Thanks for your help by the way, much appreciated..

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12240

I'm not certain that you would require any pre amplifiers. It would depend on the microphone you use from what I can see. FrRm the overall appearance of the unit, I would say try the mic straight into the unit and the unit into the pc. If there isn't sufficient gain to make a good recording, then you might insert a pre amplifier. Whether it goes in front of or behind this unit I can't tell without knowing more about the unit and the microphone. It would appear this unit accepts a dynamic mic which is usually high output and should not require a pre amp when fed to a recorder. If so, I suspect the pc will have enough gain for a decent recording. A pre amp with multiple inputs and source switching between them would be helpful in some cases but I don't believe it's needed in this case.

Post Number: 5
I heard from another user on the Internet that using a mic pre-amp between mic and VT will decrease the noice and turn up the volume of the recording. And since I already have one I'll try it out. But maybe it isn't necessary.

The mic I'm using is a "GA Project FC 1 MkII" standard studio microphone. Not the most expensive, but it is a studio microphone (XLR).

But I don't understand why the there is an arrow from the output of the VT to a box saying "Amplifier" in the manual. :-/ Maybe the PC's own "amplifying" is enough? (Because I think the VT was designed for old tape recorders since it was invented in 85 or something).

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12245

The arrow is there to indicate connections for playback not recording. You don't need the amplifier for recording. Try recording using the unit without the pre amplifier feeding the pc. Only add the pre amp if you cannot get sufficiently clean recording levels with the unit straight into the pc. Adding the pre amp can overload the pc's recording capabilities so try the simplest route first.

Post Number: 6
Okay I will try that then! Thank you very much, you helped me a lot. I know a lot more about how things works now! You see, when it's about amplifying I'm a little lost!

I'll try what you said (when I receive my cables)!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us