Apollo for 829???

Username: Morph

Post Number: 6
I know the price of the Apollos are now 1195.00, but this place claims to have brand new ones for 829.00 (not an authorized dealer), along with other items... Has anyone else dealt with them?

http://www.elegantaudiovideo.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=22&SDCartSID=e78e4ce 419f51886fc7ef741e066128d

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9754
I dunno darren. Could be the old stock with playback issues, and no support.

Bronze Member
Username: Scorpio1

Philadelphia, PA USA

Post Number: 65
Spoke to someone on the phone and it sounds like the old bait and switch. I was told to place order online and I would be at the top of list when the shipment arrives.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6183
No thanks!

Post Number: 8
Hahaha! Well, I guess it doesn't pay to save a few bucks even if it is 300+ bucks! Overture Audio (authorized dealer), here I come!

Bronze Member

Philadelphia, PA USA

Post Number: 66
Darren

If you're talking about Overture in Wilmington DE, then you'll be dealing with some good guys.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6184
Good choice Darren.

Post Number: 9
No, I meant Overture Audio in Ann Arbor, MI... they're great also, been there a couple of times to audition gear. I don't mind paying extra for the peace of mind.

Post Number: 10
I guess this sums it up:

From Head-Fi:

I thought the name sounded familiar from when I was thinking of purchasing an Apollo. You always have to question when a dealer is unauthorized and they offer products for much less. Check out this link:

http://www.aslgroup.com/scam_alert__unauthorized_websit.htm

You might get a good deal but you could also be taking a big chance. My guess would be that most of their items are gray market.

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 395
You should see the write up on Rega Mira, Apollo and speakers in the new (March 08) Jazz Times Magazine.

Someone is in LOVE!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Nice write up.. I can't stand it, I just sold my NAD to finance this Apollo purchase.. now for the next week I have NO music!! :-(

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6186
Hey Kevin...that resembles my system...and mirrors my feelings about it...VIVA REGA!!!

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 396
I agree with the Mira3 combinded with the P-3, which sounds good w/the old Rogers L3/5A w/sub.

I would like to go for the Rega speakers but that is quite a while off. I am all set up except for the Apollo!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6188
Thanks for the heads up Kevin...just took a walk to the bookstore near work and picked up the March JT.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2462
The main reason why I'd never buy from an unauthorized dealer is that I wouldn't risk spending $830 on this (or pretty much any piece of gear) without a warantee. If the thing breaks in a week, what do you do? With my luck, it'll cost more than the total to buy it and fix it than it would have to buy one brand new.

For the same reason, there's very, very few things I'd buy used.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I agree 100%! Which is why I used an authorized dealer (Eugene Hi Fi), and not only did I get great customer service, but also received a nice discount on the purchase! I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND them!!! :-)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6195
Excellent Darren!!!

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 402
So I guess Art and darren are neighbors. Great area. I like OR.

Why I buy used stuff.
1st, make it clear that I agree 100% to buy from the dealer. I used to buy my used gear at a reputable store that stood behind it.
I don't get much chance anymore to visit civilization where there are the good hifi dealers.
But for those who, for what ever reason, don't find it in their budget, must make another choice. eg: One could buy a lesser quality piece for half the price, or the same great unit used.
I have often made this decision with a car. Say a new Kia vs a used Camrey. I bought a used Audi Quattro for 1/6 of the new price and put 100,000 trouble free miles on it, then got half my money back on resale.
I have kept my lifestyle cheap, meaning I value the free time over the money. I have a Bro and a nephew who worked 70+ hours/wk for many years while I worked 4 to 6 month per yr for 20 yrs.
This is a personal choice, not a value judgement or criticism of anyone's life style. Just to say that there are many reasons why one may not have a lot of money. Could be bad luck, any of multiple reasons for lack of success, or simply free choice.

So last year I bought, for an average half price:
2 integrated amps,
2 tuners,
1 cdp,
1 cdr
1 pair speakers
I bought a new turntable.

So far, my luck has been good with one exception, a Velo Sub paid for 6 months ago which never arrived. So there went the profit from the half price Mira3! Still am ahead all total.
Ironically, the only bad piece I have bought was purchased new. The Cambridge Audio Azure cdp. I have posted enough on that. Still have not dumped it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Wow! I didn't think it was the case when I did my audition, but there is definitely a difference betweent the Apollo and NAD C542... and it's more than subtle!

If the vibrapods and VDH mainsserver powercord help to improve the sonics along with burn-in, then I'm set for at least a year! (before upgradeitis hits and the wife forgets about my current purchases!)... :-)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6245
Hey Darren when I get to feelin' better I have a little story to tell ya about the Vibrapods...I'm livin' happily withou them with my Rega gear...but there is a reason.....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
:-( Uh-oh! that's not good!! I just received them today and was looking forward to going to try 'em out!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6249
Not much pain free time to type this but let's put it this way if you don't have a rack that's spiked to the floor with spiked shelves you'll likely enjoy the pods...I did until I started using this rack...try 'em you may enjoy them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Ah, ok.. well, I'm just starting on my "hi-fi" journey, so the vibrapods should work okay for me.. So far I have everything hooked up and it sounds wonderful!! :-)

Art, how long did it take for your vdH mainsserver AC cord to break in?

Btw, I'm sorry to hear about the pain, I hope you have a speedy recovery!!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6253
The Mainserver sounded good when new but just keeps sounding better for quite sometime. I can't say how long for sure but months after I bought it I feel it was still improving (probably just me). I hope you compare the stock power cord to it....the difference is astounding.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
So far it sounds great to me, but I can't tell if it's because of the cdp or the cord or both, since everything is still in a "burn-in" period. I can honestly say that I'm good for a year, before the upgrade bug hits! I'm anticipating Rega releasing something "new" in 2009 (2010 maybe?).

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 434
OH BOY! I just joined the Apollo club!
Has to be mailed to Alaska so I will be a week or two.
You guys are such a bad influence. Naturally, I will tell my wife that it is an old $100 deck.
I just couldn't stand that noisy CA Azure one more day.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1102
Congrates Kevin!!!

It was fairly brave of you to tell her your last bit of gear went up 40% in price when you spent $35 on it.

Now you are going to tell her $100?

Hopefully she won't notice the three Alaskan Huskies that you sold in trade.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
LOL! Grats! It's a nice player! And just think, when you're ready to upgrade to a Saturn, you won't have to explain to your wife, since the the body of the units are identical!!! ;)

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 437
He he.

I am going to have to get a PO Box so I can sneak the stuff in while she is at work!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6266
Good job Kevin...I think you'll love it!

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1196
Congrats Kevin, very nice player indeed.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 438
Have to wait for delivery, darn. Meanwhile my mind is racing:

1- Interconnect cords. I see some recent posts. Shame, I am still using the freebees.

2- What to do with the old Cambridge? Oh well, closet for now. Probably give it to a nephew to play loud music on.

3- It would be nice to add the Apollo to the Mira for an all Rega system but it is complicated.

The 'vinyl room' with P3 turntable and Mira 3 is the most logical BUT, I don't really play cd's in there, and that set up has the cdr. So the Apollo and P3 turntable won't really work together in that scheme.

The Mira 3 and Apollo could be in the living room. The problem with that is that the last time I tested the Mira out on my main 2 channel home theatre it came up short of jacks. I couldn't find a way to plug the DVD into it. The Rotel int amp, now on the TV has more outlets, jacks than the Mira. I have TV, cable box, DVD, int-amp, cdp and tuner and just could not get the dvd to fit in. So the living room is all Rotel. I plan to add a subwoofer to the living room too.

I guess the simple thing to do is leave the living room Rotel system alone and put the Apollo in the bed room where the Azure was on the huge Harmon K amp. That would be the easiest, but too bad not to be able to use the Apollo and Mira together. Also my wife has her TV/DVD/cable box in there so it is the same dilemna as the living room.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1103
I think I just figured out how you listen to so much music Kevin. You have multiple systems running at the same time.

Once you figure out the ICs, the DIYs might work nicely with the Apollo FWIW, you really should trade the Apollo with your CDR for about a month or so to get a sense of what the synergy can do for you.

The Apollo will peform well for you whichever set up you run it through but after trying it with the Mira you may become partial.

Besides what are you recording on the CDR?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Hmm... decisions decisions... well maybe I can help with one of them... IC's! :-) Yep, if you're interested in a pair of .5m King Cobras let me know!! Way better than stock!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6267
I think I'd try to figure out something to put the Rega all together...then again I don't use anywhre near the inputs that I have. Cd player and turntable...that's it. I Put the TV etc into a system that doesn't matter....Yamaha!

Gold Member

Post Number: 9805
You could plug in the dvd, Kevin, and plug something lesser into the front jacks of that, run on aux.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 439
darren, yes I am open to all ideas on cables and where to buy them. You can PM me or put it here.

I agree with the consensus recommendation on synergy, at the very least, to test and know if I can hear it. I do take it on faith and have been working toward that.

Michael is correct that I have not yet made one single cd off vinyl! And that is what started me down this road in the 1st place. I abandoned the original idea to copy and discard the vinyl collection. Still, it would be nice to burn a few. Also I just wouldn't get much use for the Apollo there with the competition from the turntable. That is my private little hide away room. Once I learn to use the cdr, I may make cds for my musician buddies who are dying for some of that old music.

So it seems obvious to find a way to put the Mira3 and Apollo as the main living room system.
That is where we do most of our listening because that is where we hang out. It is a one room living room, kitchen and shared office.
I could always carry the turntable in for special occasions.
That being decided, it is just a question of how to.

The MAIN QUESTION now is if I am mistaken about the Mira 3 not having the capacity to double as a 2 channel "home theater".
I could easily be wrong since I can't set up the video end myself anyway. I am hoping that a Mira guy here would know if I am missing something.

I like Nucks' idea of finding an external way to do it.
The problem is that it is jammed into an "entertainment" shelf my wife bought and likes, so it is a big job to change plugs. That negates the idea of going back and forth. The DVD player has no jacks on the front but the TV does. Still, we would want the videos played through the hifi. Honestly, I was at a loss every time to set up the home theater.

I can't find the Mira manual right now.
Looking at the back from right to left are the 7 pair of outlets:
Phono;
CD;
Line 1;
Line 2;
tape in;
tape out;
tape link;
Pre amp out;

That does seem it would be adequate.
I am using tape out now for the subwoofer.

I usually only play dvd music videos on the 2 channel "home theater" when we have guests. We watch movie videos in the bedroom. As Art said at the holidays, it is frustrating that no one wanted to listen to music. But, I find that if I play a video, they do get into it.
I have a small but great collection of music videos for parties: Santana, Sade, John Prine, Mark Knoffler, Diana Krall, Daniela Mercury, and some jazz, blues and latin.

When I bought my mom a system, a nephew had to set it up.
At my place, the cable guy was nice enough to do it for me. I have no idea how he accomplished it. I tried with much frustration and gave up, 3 times on 3 different amps. Just too many components: TV, dvd, cable box, integrated amp, cd, and tuner.
When I swap out the hifi components for testing, I leave the tv, dvd and cable part alone amd labeling the wires to the component being tried. This way, I have played the living rooms Quad11L speakers with an ADS Reciever, Onix integrated amp, the Mira3 and now the Rotel 1070. btw, they sound good with every amp so far.

Thanks if you read all my rambling!

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 447
Ignore my questions on how to hook up home theater!

The Rega Apollo cdp arrived and with Mira 3 int amp, connected to the living room TV, cable, DVD system. No problem. I don't know what I was doing wrong before.
Sounds GREAT!

Is there a way to delete those questions above?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6395
Nope...

Congrats on the Apollo...much good listening to you!

Bronze Member

Philadelphia, PA USA

Post Number: 76
Been away for a minute. Kevin, congrats on the new Apolo.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 448
I had to make the Mira/Apollo the main system. Thanks to all for the help getting me upgraded.

Surprising how much more power this set up has with the Quad11 than it did on the little rogers with the turntable?
The turntable sounds good enough with the big HK. I am happy with that decision. Now the Rotel amp/cdp makes a nice bedroom system.

My wife asked if this player also cost $10 !!!! Not a hint of sarcasm. Then she laughed at me. . She doesn't really care. What a jewel. She said liars go to hell, and laughed again.

Next to do is better wire and connections. Another day for that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9827
Givver a hug, KC!

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1139
Kevin,

Better not spend more than $10 on wire and connections and have the receipts to back it up.

I obviously don't know your wife, I have never been to Alaska, however I would not be suprised if you have crossed a line with your gear, FWIW.

Speaking from experience, diamonds make great equalizers, and I mean for a different type of tonal balance.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 450
Thanks.

Hug? I think she is due for a full massage!

I guess we are still on the honemoon. Only 2 yrs with the 2d one. Spent 20 yrs between, so I probably spoil her as well as myself.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9833
And keep it up!

Username: Student_room402

Post Number: 1
mr.darren i'm your student at apollo room 402 thursday and sunday 7:45 a.m i can't go to the website you that you gave it to me
interhgv.worldpress.com

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3922
Talk about creative spamming.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4126
On an ancient thread, no less. Nice work Linh Chi.

I'd visit your site, except for the fact that, you SUCK.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us