Receiver for Polk LSi9s??

Paul T.
I am in the process of remolding our living-room and one wall will be a fireplace/widescreen Sony 46" and entertainment center. The wall will be all bookshelves and I have to replace my B&W 2004s with speakers that fit into the shelfs. I am down to either the Polk LSi7s or LSi9s. What receiver would best drive these speakers, I understand my present Yamaha receiver would not be the best choice since these are 4ohm speakers and I do plan on Bi-Wiring them... Nad come to mind first for me but hoped others here have bought Polk LSi series speakers and could give me some advise... Thanks all in advance!!!

Hawk
Wow! I am seeing alot of posts from people buying the Polk LSi speakers.

There is really only one receiver to get because none of the Japanese mass market receivers will handle 4 ohm speakers on all channels. You have to get an NAD. NAD receivers have higher quality power supplies and they are rated down to 2 ohms, so handling a 4 ohm speaker like the LSi is no problem.

A couple of months ago or so, we had a guy posting on this site who had bought LSis from Crutchfield, and they also sold him either a Denon or an Onkyo receiver, I can't remember which. He couldn't figure out why his receiver kept shutting down into protection mode and so he asked for help here. When we told him the problem was the mismatch of speaker to receiver, he want back to Crutchfield who assured him that was not the problem. Then he then went to the receiver manufacturer's technical department for the answer. Turns out, they wouldn't even warrant the product if you were driving less than 8 ohm speakers.

So save yorself a headache and get an NAD. It sounds better, too. Sounds more like quality separates than a receiver.

Paul T.
Well I wrote Polk an e-mail asking them what they thought and believe it or not they responded in less then a day.. I am impressed!! Their representative said and I quote, "You are also correct in considering NAD to power them, a few other brands we recommend for the LSi series are; Rotell, Adcom and B&K.". I guess that settles that now, just have to start saving up some more money for better receiver then originally thought :) (org. was thinking of Yamaha again or Denon).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us