Bryston 3B

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1094
I have been talking to a guy who is willing to sell me his Bryston 3B power amp, from 1996, mint condition. It still comes with 9 years of warranty. The price is 600 plus shipping. Is this a good deal? I am thinking it will slam my NAD C272 which of course I would sell if I were to go ahead with this. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12209

Yes, it will slam your NAD. What's your concern? You can turn around in five years time and sell the Bryston for about what you paid.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1095
Thats what I was thinking Jan. Good thing is I can sell the NAD C272 for around 500 and come out with a Bryston for 100 bucks. Consider it done. I will post pics when I get it. Cheers.

Thanks for the info.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9733
You are moving up the food chain, Nick.
Double-check the serial and warranty with Bryston, JIC.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6137
Get on with it Nick....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1096
It will be here Monday, shipped to my work. Perfect. Once I get my system put back together I will post pics.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1097
Nuck, good point, will do.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2425
I was going to say what Nuck said.

NAD to Bryston is a significant jump in everything - preformance, reliability, and so on. It'll sound excellent with your Apollo and Paradigms too.

The only downfall is you'll be itching to get a better pre-amp. You won't fully hear the Bryston until you do.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1098
I totally agree Stu. After listening to some stuff last weekend at my dealers, this is what my plan is.

For HT purposes, keep the NAD and what I have for HT only.

For Two Channel:

Rega Apollo
Rega Mira 3
Rega R3's or Monitor Audio RS6's(Need to do more listening yet)
Rega P3-24
Bryston 3B

I have the 3B, have the Apollo, ordered the Mira3. It will take a bit of time, as I am paying for my wedding that is coming up in June of this year, and am stacking money away for a new house this summer. But its starting to come together, and I will eventually have two separate systems for HT, and Music. All thanks to the great advice of this Forum over the last few months. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 651
Congrat's Nick!

A full review when you're all setup, huh?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1099
lol Definitely Stryvn. The Mira 3 is in I just have to find time to get to my dealer to pick it up. Hopefully this weekend. Its waiting for me, but work has been nuts. The 3B will be hear Monday, at the lastest Tuesday. Once its put together, a review and Pics will be posted for sure.

Silver Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 214
Congrats Nick. Look forward to that review and the pics.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6151
Anticipating the full listen and tell!

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 617
Crap. Now I have to upgrade my amps too.

lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1100
lol David, I wasnt even really looking for an amp until I talked to this guy, and he told me how much he would sell it to me for. I went giddy like a school girl.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1101
I just got off the phone with him, he is shipping it wrapped in moving blankets and insulation foam, in a PS3 box. * Praying * "Please let it get here in one piece...please let it get here in one piece" lol. Should be fine.

Silver Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 158
congrats on your new toy nick, I have been wanting to hear bryston gear for awhile, never be able to aford it lol, but the only place that sells it is about an hour away from me.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 618
Congrats Nick. You're one lucky dude getting a Bryston at that price.

I was listening to a 4B SST awhile on MA Gold speakers and it sounded about as perfect as you can get.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1102
Thanks Shawn and Dave. Shawn, look for that used stuff dude. David, My dealer usually pairs a Bryston 4b SST with MA's as well, and it makes the hairs on my arm stick up. I agree with you totally. Cheers.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2432
Shawnboy -
Check Audiogon for used Bryston gear. Bryston is a very safe buy used, due to their 20 year transferrable warantee. If you buy a 10 year old piece, you'll still have 10 years of factory warantee left. Not too shabby.

Nick -
I may get some heat for saying this, but I'm gonna say it anyway... In your position, I'd skip the Mira3. Its a great integrated, but it can't compete with Bryston seperates. For the same price as a new Mira3, you can find a used Bryston BP-25 pre-amp give or take a few bucks. IMO, it'll sound a lot better.

Here's two excellent examples of BP-25 pre-amps -
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatran&1206394791

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatran&1206909821

They're pretty much what you'll find in that price range. Just make sure you know how much warantee is left, and what options they come with like phono and/or remote. I think they all come with a remote, but I may be wrong.

Disclaimer 1 - I'm a huge Rega fan. This is no knock on Rega. It can't nor should be expected to compete with seperates that each cost multiples of the Mira3.

Disclaimer 2 - Wait until after the wedding.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1103
Stu- I think your right. Last night the guys from Redball Radio(my dealer) were here watching UFC. They ALL pretty much said the exact same thing you are telling me. I can put the Mira3 on hold if I want to, as in don't buy it for now. They said a Mira3 is a very musical integrated, but wont match up to a Pre Amp from Bryston that use to retail for 2- 3 grand in its day. The Synergy too would be much better. I am going to do more listening next weekend.

Waiting until after the wedding sounds like a pretty good idea as well.lol I just spent 2000 on wedding bands yesterday. *Ouch*

Silver Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 160
thanks stu, I found some really god deals on bryston gear, I never in a million years would think I could pick one up for about $600. They have the same one nick bought for about the same price, tell us how you like your new setup dude, because I just might have to make the trip to go take a listen.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1105
Will do Shawnboy, I have a tracking number and the amp will be arriving at my work this Tuesday morning. Two days. lol.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2688
OK - How do you spend 2000 on simple wedding bands?!?! they're meant to be simple bands, not encrusted in jewels and the like.

Our wedding bands cost just £200 and that was because hers is platinum to match the engagement ring. Now the engagement ring is another thing altogether. One internally flawless white marquise cut costs a fair bunch...

I am concerned that if you do go up on the preamp and power amp you are going to be light in the source - i.e. the Apollo isn't really int he right ballpark to be playing with the Brystons. Careful Nick - you're headed on a steep upward spiral.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1109
LOL Frank - Her wedding band to go with her ROCK(4 grand) was 900 CDN. And mine was 600 CDN.

About the Apollo/Bryston combo. Why isnt the Apollo good enough? Just curious. LOL Do u mean Steep upward spiral as far as money goes? DOnt leave me hanging Frank.lol.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9751
That is exactly what Frank means, Nick.
Money makes the fun go around.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1113
Thats fine.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 623
Nick, by when do you need the RSVPs for the wedding?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1117
David- sorry man my brain is dead right now, remind me again what RSVP means?LOL sorry man. Oh By the way, My Bryston 3B is sitting on my work bench right now. It arrived this morning. I put it on the scale in the shipping area and it came in at 48.4 pounds. The guy shipped it very well in an old NAD711 box. Going for lunch in one hour and will hook it up then. *Yippeee*

Gold Member

Post Number: 1118
ohhhhhHhhhHHh RSVP. LOL sorry man I know what u meant now, just took me like 2 minutes to figure it out. lol I will be alright.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2697
OHHHHhhhhh! You were talking Canadian dollars! I thought you meant £2000! I guess Canadian dollars is more like it, although it still seems steep to me. Then again, I bought our jewellery in Malta where it's more sensibly priced...:-)

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2698
And yes, upward spiral of costs. The Apollo is a great machine, no question, but it's 'just an Apollo', targetted at the sub-£1000 market. The Bryston is a couple of rungs up the ladder. If you open the window with the preamp you need to be prepared to consider better CD players...

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2448
Every journey begins with a single step, Frank.

And $2000 CAN is about 75 GBP

I love Canadian money. How can anyone take a currency system that has denominations called the "Loonie" and "Tooney" seriously?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2702
Heh, you can be so cruel...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1119
LOL Stu- I will take a Loonie over an American dollar any day.LOL!!! Just playing.

Well I just got back from lunch, and I must say..WOW. The Bryston is insane. Clear, precise, fast. I am going to email Bryston about a few things I noticed about the amp. When I turn it off, a small *Cherping* noise comes from the speakers, just sorta like...you can hear the power shut off through the speakers. Im sure this is normal for an old style amp. Plus the Brystons are meant to be left on. When its on, its dead quiet and sounds so clear and open. I was like two hours on my lunch because I just couldn't stop listening to it. I see there is some sort of Fuse controller on it, but I have no idea what that does. I need to email Bryston and get some sort of paper work. I havn't had time to do a whole lot of listening but my first impression was WOW!! I will post more info and pics after dinner tonight. Cheers.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2449
Nick,

Bryston makes excellent gear. Their service department is top notch as well. You may be better off calling their Vermont service center and speak directly with someone rather than exchanging emails. Have the serial number and date code handy. Look up their info on the Bryston webpage.

Another great Bryston resource is the Bryston Circle on Audio Circle. The VP of marketing (James Tanner) is on there all the time. He answers a lot of questions, and when he can't, he consults his engineers and gets back to you. Here's a link to the Bryston Circle -

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?board=57.0

Gold Member

Post Number: 1120
Thanks Stu, I Talked to Bryston yesterday right after I posted. They said the Chirp is very very normal in all of the Legacy and ST series amps. It is the caps draining when it powers off. Only hear the chirp for like half a second, not even then its off. He said there is no electronics on those amps to supress the caps? U only get that in the new SST series which retails for 4 grand for the replacement amp of mine.LOL. I will post pics today. Have to get more listening in. Stu I can really really notice a difference on Rock music especially. The Bryston is much faster therefore with heavier music it is a lot less muddy. Very clear. Tool-Aneima and the new Silversun Pickups cd sound incredible.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2453
If you've got any older Korn - particularly Follow the Leader or Issues - give that a spin too. The guitars won't sound slow and muddy. They'll actually sound like lower tuned 6-string guitars rather than bass guitars.

You going to re-open the system pics thread and post there?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2454
Online version of the Owner's Manual in case you don't have one -

http://www.bryston.ca/BrystonSite05/BrystonDocs.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 1121
Yup, Im going to have to pull out my Fuji digital to do it, our new Sony is a pixel Hog and I cant get it at a decent size so people can see the stuff and make it fit this forum.lol I will do it on my lunch.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1122
Nevermind, got the pixels taken care of using Photoshop resize.

Silver Member
Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 228
Since you guys are talking about bryston is the 3b-st any good. Say a used one would it be a good match with MA bookshelf or is that a bit of a overkill for a pair of RS1's. Would i be better of simply getting a new Parasound A23 perhaps?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1139
Yup. The Bryston 3B-st is basically a newer version of the 3B. Very good amp. Ive never heard the Parasound before, but based on pure reputation I would say the 3Bst would knock it silly.

Silver Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 229
Nick just wondering if you or any other owners like to give comments on the rs6's. Which speakers did you compare them with? I just think i going to hold on the RS! was getting demo pair of the S2 but they was a delay so i opted with a new pair of RS1. But hmm since i'd prob have to add a sub later since i do enjoy great lower extension :-). What the heck should i just spend a little more and get a nice floorstander which will nearly take up the same space as stands.. andsound a lot better. Are the RS6's worth the extra $$$ would have lovely to demo them at home but alas no can do.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1145
Chico- The RS6's are probably my favorite speaker in that price range, that I have heard personally. Amazing accross the board. Clarity like no other. They just seem to push through everything. I have heard the RS6's with Pioneer Elite, NAD and Bryston. The speakers sounded great on all three. I think the RS6's rock the RS1's and are a worthy upgrade and well worth the extra money.

Silver Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 232
Thnaks for the input nick my main reason for going the tower right is my wife appears to be a hidden bass fanatic. So my real question is how is do they reach down low? She likes salsa merengue zouk(caribbean music) Sade and the like. I'm a guy who listens too anything i'm more about quality the quantity. Clean tight bass will always impress me more than lost of muddy sloppy noise. But i'm trying to do without a sub.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1166
The last time I listened to the RS6's, my dealer was using a Paradigm Seismic 12 sub with them. Great sub for 1500. BUT, When he turned the sub off and allowed the RS6's to handle the full range, I thought the sound improved. Their bass extension for a little speaker of that price range is fantastic. They go low enough, and the bass is very tight and punchy. Your wife will love them. I know I do.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 649
I love mine too. I'm with Nick, the bass is surprising with these.

Silver Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 233
Well i'm sold! Will get them the end of the month. Will listen to them with the CA640 see how they mesh later i'll prob add and external amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1170
Right on Chico. Let us know what you think.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1193
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/81182-bryston_3bstmint/

ahhhh Could have got an almost new one for a grand.lol oh well. I wonder how much better the SST series is compared the the Legacy and ST series. The Bryston "sound" has seemed to be pretty consistent over the years.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6252
May not need the external amp Chico...give it a listen first.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1194
Im With Art Chico, the MA6's are fairly easy to power.

Silver Member
Username: Huron

Post Number: 397
nice amp nick, and congrats on wedding

Gold Member

Post Number: 1195
Thanks Angelo, nice too see u back in the forum.

Bronze Member
Username: 70chevelle

Post Number: 46
Nick K - Is the Bryston 4B (non-ss/sst/nrb/yada, yada) in the same model line as the 3B, just more wpc?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1247
Yup, the 3B and regular 4B (with no st,sst at the end of the name) are from the Legacy series Bryston now calls them. The 4B is 250 watts by 2 and the 3B is 120 watts by 2. I couldn't justify having any more power for my speakers at all, but some I guess might. And the 4B would definitely give it to them.Cheers.

Bronze Member
Username: 70chevelle

Post Number: 47
Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us