Stylus, what?

Username: Kierazion

Post Number: 1
okay, so for my birthday my boyfriend decided he was gonna buy me a record player because i've wanted one for so long.
i don't know much about them at all, but LOVE the way they sound. much much more then cd's or anything else.

okay, so problem:
i got it yesterday and it worked fine. played the records and nothing was wrong.
i went to use it this morning- and the tonearm "skated across" the record.
so i called in and the service repair man said that i need a new stylus?
only thing is, i have no clue what that is.
at all.
or where to get a new one.
or how to change it.
or take the old one off, or ANYTHING.
any help whatsoever would be nice.
:-)

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9693
The stylus is the little tiny needle that runs in the groove of the album.
I presume that this is a used table because the thing went 'poof'?
needledoctor.com

What kind of table is it, aa?

And yes, they do sound better.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2413
Technically speaking, the stylus is the diamond tip or 'needle.'

Depending on the cartridge, the stylus may be changed without having to change the entire cartridge (the body). Some don't allow this.

As for troubleshooting, we need to know what kind of table it is, and how old it is. Some have anti-skate adjustments (which may or may not solve your problem), VTA adjustments, tracking force, etc.

Any of these may be the fault. But if the service person told you you need a new stylus, he must have known the answers to these questions. Not that every service person is totally honest.

Post Number: 3
on the instruction manual, it just says 'CHAPLIN'

i wanted a simple one; one that i didn't have to put through speakers and all of that.
so he got me one that has a turntable on top, cd player and Am/Fm radio on the bottom.
there. not complicated, just how i wanted.
i have no clue how old it is, or if it's used at all.
he got it off ebay, but it was an ebay store.
one that sold them new.
so im guessing it's new?
but the fact that it just went "poof"
makes me a little sad.

everything else i know is that it's manufactured under polyconcept USA, inc. by RCA trademark blah blah blah.

plays 33 1/2, 45, and 78 speed records.

other then that, it doesn't say much?
is there anything else that you needed to know?

Post Number: 4
http://cgi.ebay.com/RCA-Chaplin-Vinyl-Record-Turntable-CD-Player-AM-FM-NEW_W0QQi temZ160200402719QQihZ006QQcategoryZ3283QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

if that helps at all, it's the one i have.

Username: Msgtpogi

NJ

Post Number: 10
Turntables are a bit more finicky than CD players. There usually are a couple of basic adjustments that come with turntables. I'll stay with the 2 that are important to your problem and I'll keep it kinda basic.

Stylus force: every cartridge (the one that has the stylus) has to have a certain amount of downward force for the stylus tip to track the record grooves. Usual set up is first balancing the tonearm so the cartridge end and the counterweight end are level. Then turn the counterweight to the indicated recommended cartridge tracking force.

Antiskating: this pulls the arm in toward the spindle (the center of the platter) and is supposed to counteract the outward centrifugal force applied by the spinning platter on the cartridge. Usually, you would put at approximately the same setting as tracking force.

If either one is off, it could account for the cartridge skating across the record.

You don't diagnose a bad stylus over the phone nor over an internet forum. You need to actually look at the stylus with magnification to determine if it is damaged. It is quite possible that your stylus is still ok, it is a diamond after all. But, if it is damaged, it will in turn damage your records.

I would shine a nice light and look if the diamond stylus is still there. I think that the tracking force was too low and /or the antiskating setting was too high if it went towrds the spindle or too low if it went off the record.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1060
Is the table level?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us